Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I'm not picky, if I can read it I'm happy. I don't care much about how good the formatting is

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Dito? Is that Italian?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Which was my humble observation.

If the thread title is a question:

Why e-Books Look So Ugly?

The answer is:

1) because publishers aren't bothering to take the time to do it right (whether we are talking about content correctness in as simple a term as properly proofreading OCR'd text, utilizing the full current potential of existing formats, or other taboo considerations that I won't mention in order to not aggravate any potential existing heart-conditions).

and

2) people don't mind this enough to vote with their wallets.

Simple question, straightforward and obvious (and I dare to hope perhaps even uncontroversial) answer.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Same plot, same actors... somehow déjà vu
You could always request that the people you object to (in this thread or others) be banned from the board.

- Ahi
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
You could always request that the people you object to (in this thread or others) be banned from the board.
- Ahi
No way! I am too much too liberal!
And I really enjoy reading you, though I usually do not agree.
Besides, you're forgiven in advance for the next 3 months thanks to your excellent Casanova memoirs.
You'll have to find something else after that.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #21
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Well old school hardcover books weren't too fancy. A simple one color cover with the title and author name embossed. It's only since the advent of book jackets and paperbacks (all aimed to get customers consuming the new 'exciting' book) that we have expected more presentation.

Personally as long as the text renders properly I am happy. The writing is where the entertainment is.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #22
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
No way! I am too much too liberal!
And I really enjoy reading you, though I usually do not agree.
Besides, you're forgiven in advance for the next 3 months thanks to your excellent Casanova memoirs.
You'll have to find something else after that.
Heh.

No doubt you mean Jellby's fine work based on a bit of starting advantage provided by me? Or have you crossed over to the dark side as well?

I suspect after 3 months, I'll have some more stuff to continue earning me penance in the eyes of the few... but we'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers!

- Ahi
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 AM   #23
danielRay
danielRay began at the beginning.

Very interesting thread n debate i enjoyed reading it
danielRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #24
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Dito? Is that Italian?
If it were italian, it would mean "finger"

Methinks that's a mistyped ditto, which, by the way, is itself a mistyped detto, which is actually Italian ("said" or "spoken"). Used that way means "that which was stated before", more recently "same as above" or, in words more common in internet forums, "bump" and "quote! quote! quote!"
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Well old school hardcover books weren't too fancy. A simple one color cover with the title and author name embossed. It's only since the advent of book jackets and paperbacks (all aimed to get customers consuming the new 'exciting' book) that we have expected more presentation.
And I think that those old school hardcovers are the best. I like simple looking covers better than those full-colour ones.

Compare:

Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #26
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Heh.
No doubt you mean Jellby's fine work based on a bit of starting advantage provided by me? Or have you crossed over to the dark side as well?
No, I mean this evil pdf version.
Jellby's version is excellent too, but I am ashamed to confess that I did really like the typesetting you did.
+ I love headers and I don't like ePub's weird page numbering.

Cheers!
PS: Jellby's ePub is uploaded in e-books section. Why isn't yours?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #27
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
No, I mean this evil pdf version.
Jellby's version is excellent too, but I am ashamed to confess that I did really like the typesetting you did.
+ I love headers and I don't like ePub's weird page numbering.

Cheers!
PS: Jellby's ePub is uploaded in e-books section. Why isn't yours?

I need to do a bit more clean-up on it... but once it is done, I will add it formally.

- Ahi
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
Kostas
Still wondering why

Quote:

I need to do a bit more clean-up on it... but once it is done, I will add it formally.

- Ahi
Aaargh! The perfectionist's Angst!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Publishers are just too lasy to create ebook manually. They use free calibre and automate the process, instead of approaching every ebook individually.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I doubt they use calibre. All the ones I've seen, appear to be made using other automated programs.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote