Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
On the phone with a nice kindle rep and she said she went to ask about this and the rep in front of her had the same question. So this is a known issue, just have them ask the reference person/manager.

Replaced it with overnight shipping.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Sirbruce

Ok I understand now that it is a manufacturing defect not a bug, how would you know that your kindle2 will not suffer from sunlight defect or low text contrast?

Now after seeing this new defect I firmly believe no body has ever beta tested this K2 not even its product manager, if they had its easy to catch.

When K1 came out we all talked about its design flaws such as button placement, wheel but in this K2 iteration we are talking about contrast which is our primary interest.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
Ok I understand now that it is a manufacturing defect not a bug, how would you know that your kindle2 will not suffer from sunlight defect or low text contrast?
You try it out. If you have the defect, Amazon is more than willing to send you a replacement free and you can send the defective one back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
Now after seeing this new defect I firmly believe no body has ever beta tested this K2 not even its product manager, if they had its easy to catch.
I do think the QA at the manufacturing facility is suspect, given other people who have had issues with buttons not being properly seated. The sunlight issue has to be a manufacturing defect in the displays, so that's E Ink's fault and not Amazon's, though I'm somewhat baffled as to explaining a mechanism for the flaw. If UV light somehow messes with the screen, the ones that work fine must have some sort of coating that the others didn't get. Or perhaps there's some gas in the screen matrix that the UV light excites?

To reiterate, the good K2s seem to work fine. It's just there's a lot of bad K2s out there, which Amazon is replacing as fast as they can.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I gather one thing from this low contrast and sunlight defect is that amazon is acknowledging these defects and rapidly acting on it and they want o keep customers happy, when I returned my K2 cs did not give me a hard time at all, he was helpful and knowledgeable. I sincerely hope these defects will workout and we can all enjoy our readings
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The OLPC is cool...I want to play with one
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #21
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The OLPC is cool...I want to play with one
Yeah, if I'd paid attention and showed up and saw the XO, I wouldn't have given any of the Kindles a second glance
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The XO-2 is even more like an ebook reader:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-2
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #23
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The OLPC seemed fine for reading thought it's a bulky device to lug around just for that.

Sorry, nobody thought to take pictures of us... the point was to compare Kindle screens. 6 women, 2 men I think was our final count.
That's a fantastic girl/guy ratio for San Jose. Great idea for meeting women in SJ!
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedicated View Post
That's a fantastic girl/guy ratio for San Jose. Great idea for meeting women in SJ!
You know those people who get the left vs. right confused sometimes? I'm one of those people. I'm also one of those people who gets women and men confused sometimes, which leads to some interesting dating experiences.

So to correct the record it was 6 men, 2 women. Which is still one more female than I expected to show up.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
You know those people who get the left vs. right confused sometimes? I'm one of those people. I'm also one of those people who gets women and men confused sometimes, which leads to some interesting dating experiences.

So to correct the record it was 6 men, 2 women. Which is still one more female than I expected to show up.

(i get my left and right confused. so far i've not had a problem with men and women though. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
dedicated
dedicated began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle DX
Cool

Quote:

LOL. Darn, guess the Kindle to meet women trick doesn't work.

I will say though, it helps to know about these devices, or at least showing curiosity about them, in meeting people. Some guy saw my gf reading her Kindle in a cafe, struck up a conversation about it, and then asked for her number. She said he was pretty smooth about it.
dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote