Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
tactusben
tactusben began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question App is incompatible with Kobo - why?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help / have some ideas for me. Not sure if this is the right place - I also tried the Tablet forum - so apologies if it's not.

I've just released an app on the Google Play Store but I've been contacted by a Kobo user to say that when they try to download it, it says that the app is incompatible with their device. I'm trying to work out why. They say the have a Kobo 7.

I'm guessing it's to do with the permissions that are required to use it but I can't find any evidence of this. I've seen that the GPS requirement causes problems but my app doesn't use that so it shouldn't be the issue.

Here are the list of requirements. Do any look suspicious?
  • Open network sockets
  • Write to external storage
  • com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE
  • Access information about Wi-Fi networks
  • Access information about networks
  • Record audio
  • keep the processor from sleeping or the screen from dimming

I've tried contacting Kobo a couple of times but they're dragging their feet. I think this community is probably better!

Thanks in advance!
tactusben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
Which application are we talking about? We could check it in other Kobos if you tell us.
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
https://www.google.com/search?name=f...p+incompatible
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
tactusben

Thanks for the replies!

Lucas, yeah, I already tried to get the owner of the Kobo to do exactly that. They said it didn't say anything for them. Unfortunately, I don't have a Kobo to test on. Which leads us nicely into...

zufre, the app is called Naming TherAppy Lite.

If someone could search for it through Google Play, try downloading it, confirm it is incompatible and then trying the link that Lucas sent to give me a clue as to why it is incompatible, that would be amazing: http://lifehacker.com/google-play-sh...th-y-496328577

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
I installed the app in my Kobo Glo (with Android installed) and got no errors.
Regards.
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
tactusben

Hi zufre, thanks so much for installing and testing, much appreciated.

So, to get it working on your Glo, you must have rooted the device? I wonder if that's why it works for you and not the other person?

I don't suppose you know anyone that has a standard Arc do you that could try? I'm still hunting around here for people I know without much luck

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No.. to install on his Glo he has TOTALLY replaced the O/S with Android; so not just ROOTED... totally replaced.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
tactusben

Wow, that's impressive! I guess I'm still trying to work out why it would work on that then but not an Arc. There must be a difference somewhere... any ideas?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what it's worth, it's also incompatible with my Nexus 7. (2012).

Now not to be stupid, HOW do you expect us to download and install the App to check with that link. if PlayStore says the application is not compatible with the device?

Sigh... I see there "might" be a plus symbol in Playstore to explain the reasons; no such symbol appears.

Last edited by PeterT; 04-21-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
tactusben

The idea of getting someone else to try and install on Kobo was to try and work out if it's a problem with this users specific Kobo or make of Kobo or just that it won't install on Kobo in general.

The fact that it says it's incompatible with your Nexus 7 is very interesting as I have an older Nexus 7 and it works on mine. So now I'm very confused. Would you be able to sign in to Google Play on the web on then see why it says it is incompatible with your Nexus 7 please? That's the information that the lifehacker link earlier was trying to get...

Thanks Peter.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
tactusben

Ah, just saw your edit. Very frustrating. Thanks for looking. Still extremely confused!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
tactusben

P.S. I'm sure you'll all find this amusing but I'm talking to Kobo support and they are convinced that the Glo's operating system can't be replaced. That's how much faith I have in their support
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Be careful.... Replacing the Glo O/S is a COMPLETE HACK that is based on the fact that there is Android device from Germany (Tolino Shine) with comparable h/w to some of the Kobo eInk based eReaders.

See Android on Kobo: "Tips and Apps"
and Android on Glo

Of course Kobo customer support will have ZERO idea about this.

As soon as Android IS installed on the device, it is no longer a Kobo eReader device; all of the functionality supplied out of the box by Kobo is removed.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactusben View Post
The idea of getting someone else to try and install on Kobo was to try and work out if it's a problem with this users specific Kobo or make of Kobo or just that it won't install on Kobo in general.

The fact that it says it's incompatible with your Nexus 7 is very interesting as I have an older Nexus 7 and it works on mine. So now I'm very confused. Would you be able to sign in to Google Play on the web on then see why it says it is incompatible with your Nexus 7 please? That's the information that the lifehacker link earlier was trying to get...

Thanks Peter.
My Nexus 7 is unrooted; Model ME370T; Android 4.4.2; Kernel 3.10-g4776c68; Build KOT49H
Old 04-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
tactusben

Thanks Peter. I've just confirmed with someone else that they are also now having problems with the Nexus 7 and weren't before. I'm therefore assuming that the problem is more widespread and isn't specific to Kobo at all.

I appreciate your time and efforts Peter. Thanks so much for the replies.