Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #91
quarterburn
quarterburn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm not sure if this discussion would still be considered "active" but I've been heavily debating on pulling the trigger on the Kindle DX. Really, it's split between that, the new Kindle Paperwhite, and the Kobo Aura HD.

I want a ereader for textbooks and casual reading. The 3G for accessing Wikipedia is huge to me so the Kindles would be great. Is the Kindle DX perfect for textbooks but too large for everything else? Is the lack of a light on the DX enough for me to be okay with a 6" screen? The Aura HD doesn't have 3G (no Wikipedia access) but does accept more formats, has a larger screen, and works with Pocket. And with that, my brain is stuck in a loop.

So boiling it down to questions that are on topic: Is the Kindle DX unwieldy? Is the lack of the paperwhite on the DX an issue?
quarterburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #92
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Unwieldy? It's larger than a regular Kindle, but you'd have to handle personally to say if it is unwieldy for you. I have one and I don't consider it unwieldy. It's still smaller than a hardback book opened.

I've never had a paperwhite, but have 2 regular Kindles. Again I think whether lack of paperwhite is an issue will boil down to whether you can read without it. I don't consider it an issue, but I've not used a paperwhite so there is that.

IMO the DX is wonderful, and my smaller Kindles just gather dust now.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #93
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterburn View Post
So boiling it down to questions that are on topic: Is the Kindle DX unwieldy? Is the lack of the paperwhite on the DX an issue?
Certainly a bit larger/heavier than a 6 inch reader but lighter than a 9-10 inch tablet.

The DXG is easy to read in any light you can read a normal book with. If you want to read in the dark then a good booklight is necessary.

If you mostly read e-books then I do not think you'll find a better reader than the dxg. However, if you mostly read textbood pdf's then you would probably be better to look at a tablet like the ipad.

If you buy it from Amazon I'm pretty sure you can always return it within 30 days if you are not happy with it.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #94
quarterburn
quarterburn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
However, if you mostly read textbood pdf's then you would probably be better to look at a tablet like the ipad.
I currently have the iPad2 and I can only read on it for so long until it strains my eyes. Most of the textbooks aren't PDF's but do have illustrations or CLI output examples that work better on a larger canvas.

Thank you both for the advice! I think that pretty much seals it for getting the DX.
quarterburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #95
PeterBishop
PeterBishop began at the beginning.

Kindle DX - yes!

I like the Kindle DX because
  • It has a big screen so allowing me to read techical books with screen-shots of computer screens
  • You can read it outside or indoors
  • It has a vocalizer so it will read to you while (say) you're driving [plug it into car audio system]
The new Kindle models are far too small and have no vocalizer. That's a shame because the vocalizer is one of it's best features.

On the down side: The life seems to be fairly short. In 4 years, my second one has just died.

Overall I'd recommend the DX. I'm going to buy another now.

Happy reading!
PeterBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #96
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterburn View Post
I currently have the iPad2 and I can only read on it for so long until it strains my eyes. Most of the textbooks aren't PDF's but do have illustrations or CLI output examples that work better on a larger canvas.

Thank you both for the advice! I think that pretty much seals it for getting the DX.
Or maybe try a Retina iPad...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #97
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
DX is really great. Unfortunately, a vast number of books at the Amazon store will not work on DX anymore, even books that require larger screens to read on. For instance, magazines, newspapers, comics, and many large format ebooks. Strangely though, these materials were ones that originally prompted Amazon to release the 9.7 inch reader. Alas, Amazon has now de facto abandoned support for the DX in favor of its KF series.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #98
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Ya, anything that requires 'Panel View' will not work on the DX or k2's. I have not run into any amazon regular e-books that do not work, just comics. Don't know about mag's and newspapers since I do not buy any of those.

I contacted Kindle CS a couple of months ago and they told me that their tech guys were looking into a small firmware update to fix this but I have not seen anything yet. Since Amazon is still selling the DXG it really should still get some support imho.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #99
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I doubt there will be anymore firmware fixes for DX. If they'd wanted to make more ebooks readable on DX (which means more profits), they would have done it ages ago. We haven't seen any updates for quite a long time, and I wouldn't hold my breath for a new one.

A pity, because the DX is such an amazing reader.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I doubt there will be anymore firmware fixes for DX. If they'd wanted to make more ebooks readable on DX (which means more profits), they would have done it ages ago. We haven't seen any updates for quite a long time, and I wouldn't hold my breath for a new one.

The DX is a member of the Kindle 2 family. I too wouldn't expect to see firmware updates for such an old device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #101
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post

I agree with you on everything.

For novel reading during the daytime, it's very comfortable and is often my reader of choice - but only during the daytime.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #102
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Another plus for the DX: your library books stay until you delete them. They are not automatically removed when the loan time is up, even when you connect wirelessly and they are returned and deleted in MYK. I guess it's because they are loaded via USB rather than WiFi.

Not that I would ever not delete a library book that was a couple days overdue.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #103
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can anyone please point out any clear disadvatages of DX in relations to PW3 or Kobo H2O.

It is an obsolete reader without any suport.
No touch screen meaning ordeals with footnotes reading.
Any problems with loading modern mobis ?

Is it worth buying second hand (about 200$) DX only for ebooks in mobi (not pdfs)?
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #104
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Is it worth buying second hand (about 200$) DX only for ebooks in mobi (not pdfs)?
I have a DX. Second Kindle I bought. Still use it on occasion. Good for PDFs. You're stuck with old (mobi7) format. Much slower than modern Kindles. E-ink is old technology. I personally like it for it's screen size, but my Voyage is lighter, has a backlight and supports azw3.

I personally wouldn't buy another for $200. Maybe $100-$150.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #105
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under

The DXG (not the original DX) has as nice as screen as anything out there right now (with the proper lighting) and there is nothing nicer to read standard Kindle e-books with imho. The free 3G (although limited to 50mb/mo) is pretty useful as well.

Having said that, I do find myself using my K3 Keyboard with wifi/3G and an Amazon lighted cover more and more, esp. when travelling. I'd probably be more inclined to buy another K3 Keyboard wifi/3G for ~$150 than I would another DXG.

Tags
kindle dx 2