Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you chosen to get a replacement for you faulty Paperwhite?
Yes 25 34.72%
No, it is bad but I can live with it 3 4.17%
I haven't decided yet 5 6.94%
No my PW is good 39 54.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #91
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I registered and voted, and posted in the 'Defective screen' thread, which at least seems to be reasonably well-moderated against fanboy/girlism. (Although--and maybe I am being overly optimistic here--to my mind, now that Amazon is diverting some of the bad units to another location, I feel less need to make a lot of noise about it online. I think they've gotten the message. I hope. I'm completely addicted to reloading these forums now, though, and everytime someone gets a replacement I keep hoping to see the magical 'paper-white' screen.)

Edit: Oh god, my forum title is now Zealot. To anyone who still doubts there is a problem, in my apparently four years of membership here, I had exactly eight posts until I got my PW.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #92
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I'm completely addicted to reloading these forums now, though, and everytime someone gets a replacement I keep hoping to see the magical 'paper-white' screen.)

Edit: Oh god, my forum title is now Zealot. To anyone who still doubts there is a problem, in my apparently four years of membership here, I had exactly eight posts until I got my PW.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #93
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Good point! I did vote, btw.

Quote:
I registered and voted, and posted in the 'Defective screen' thread, which at least seems to be reasonably well-moderated against fanboy/girlism. (Although--and maybe I am being overly optimistic here--to my mind, now that Amazon is diverting some of the bad units to another location, I feel less need to make a lot of noise about it online. I think they've gotten the message. I hope. I'm completely addicted to reloading these forums now, though, and everytime someone gets a replacement I keep hoping to see the magical 'paper-white' screen.)
I was checking constantly before mine arrived and keeping tabs on how many replacements had issues so I know what you mean. I do have faith that Amazon will fix the issues. I certainly don't believe they are going to ignore all these complaints, but it's going to take some time for them to be able to sort it. I feel your frustration though, it's been a disappointing experience.

Even now that my replacement seems ok (knock on wood) I'm still waiting for something to happen with it. I think I've developed PTPWS. (Post traumatic PW syndrome) Every time I pick up my new PW, I brace myself waiting for color blobs to mysteriously appear. The blob gremlins are probably waiting for me to let my guard down before they come out to play again.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #94
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
LOL!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #95
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:

Same here. I'm registered here since 2005, and my previous posts must have been removed a few years back, so I started with zero when I started obsessing about the PW over here
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #96
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

Even now that my replacement seems ok (knock on wood) I'm still waiting for something to happen with it. I think I've developed PTPWS. (Post traumatic PW syndrome) Every time I pick up my new PW, I brace myself waiting for color blobs to mysteriously appear. The blob gremlins are probably waiting for me to let my guard down before they come out to play again.
This would be hillarious, if it weren't so friggin sad.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #97
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
This would be hillarious, if it weren't so friggin sad.
But it is the same for me. After you asked me yesterday if I did not see a color blotch on my display that you saw on my pick, I waited franctically for my kids to be back from school so that I could ask my son, who at 12 is really thorough with what he sees (he picks up things you would never see, when he was smaller we thought he had a delirious imagination) and has an incredible eyesight, to check the display for me.

So, according to Petit Prince :
* There are shadows on the lower fifth band of the display. Some are probably due to the LED, some could be blotches, because there is a subtle tan hue in them.

* There are no blotches or shadows elsewhere.

* Overall, the display cannot be qualified as white. I called it very light grey, but he says it is off white.

Since I read that displays are changing and could turn bad after a few days (it's Gremlins all over again... Yep, I am that old !), I'll keep asking him. He is an e-reading fan anyway, so he understands my concern.

But, and here it comes : for him, after having compared the K4S, the K4B, the Paperwhite and the KK we have at home, the winner for best display and contrast is........
The KK.

That really surprised me, but I get his point. Of all 4 that we have here for the time being (the K4B is not for us, it is a present for my parents), his KK has indeed the best Display/Contrast ratio. It is his, so he got a bit worried afterwards he was not to keep it , but I'll never take it back, he is too much in love with it !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #98
xendula
eBookworm

Ha! Sorry I freaked you out, aceflor!! Your son is like me: I was always the finder of things in the family because of my eye sight. It is somewhat of a legend in my family that, when I was 5, I found a button my mother had lost in a field, during a storm, as it was getting dark for the night
I am so amazed that the KK display looks better to you and your son than the K4B, and I have heard some others on this form say the same. I don't own a KK, but find the K4B just amazing (for eink). Maybe there are quality differences in the K4B like last year?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #99
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. I definitely got a really good K4S compared to others I have seen on pics from the US. You don't get to see many around here live but a friend of mine has one too and hers was even lighter than mine. The K4B were maybe a tiny tiny bit better, but this comes from our "expert" and he says he is not sure himself. His KK, which was mine before, is indeed a beauty. They sell them here in a shop for 79€ and I am now thinking of getting one before they disappear. The K4B: not so much...
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #100
xendula
eBookworm

79 EUROS for the KK?! Where, on amazon.es? That sounds really cheap.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #101
policefan99
policefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3KB, PW
Add another 2 to the list. 1st had aqua green tinting. Replacement was noticeably better/brighter/whiter but unfortunately has really bad ghosting. It takes 5 refreshes to eliminate a ghosted image/text. Now I am waiting on my 3d KPW.

Last edited by policefan99; 10-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
policefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #102
xendula
eBookworm

Policefan, what kind did you order and receive? WiFi/3G/SO?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #103
policefan99
policefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3KB, PW
Quote:
Policefan, what kind did you order and receive? WiFi/3G/SO?
Wifi non-SO
policefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #104
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
79 EUROS for the KK?! Where, on amazon.es? That sounds really cheap.
no, at an online shop in Spain called zococity