Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Trying out the Magazines

Okay, so today I downloaded a few free magazine trials:

Analogue
Asimov
Hitchcock
Ellery Queen

I'm going to have to get rid of a couple of them LOL.

In your own experience (if you subscribed to these), which of the magazines tickled your fancy more than the others?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
I subscribe to both nook and print Time magazine. It actually shows up very well on the nook, and seems to be much more usable than other magazines I've looked at in the older format.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting....are they the full color pages that are just smaller on the screen? I tried PC Gamer and Guitar World and didn't like the way they looked.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I downloaded a couple for the 'free trial' when I first got my NC last Christmas (mainly for the plane ride home). I discovered I don't like reading magazines on it...not big enough or something.

Anyway -- be sure to check your credit card charges once the trial period is up if you choose to not subscribe. B&N kept charging my account and it took a phone call or two to straighten things out.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
sangahm
Enthusiast
sangahm began at the beginning.

Device: nook HD, Palm T3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Interesting....are they the full color pages that are just smaller on the screen? I tried PC Gamer and Guitar World and didn't like the way they looked.
Yes, seems to be the full page but divided into good sized page for the smaller nook screen. And there is a pop up article browser that comes up at the bottom to easily move around.
sangahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard

Hmm.....I'll have to look some more...I cancelled all the subscriptions before I got charged, I just don't see myself reading them that often.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
One question I have about magazines - do they load up your Nook with content? I mean, with a weekly magazine like the New Yorker, it seems that pretty soon my Nooks will be overwhelmed with issues. Is there a provision for deleting individual issues? I know you can archive them, but how about just getting rid of them completely? (I don't need to keep a huge backlog of old magazines)

I am a print New Yorker and Time subscriber and I took advantage of the free digital version available for each to existing print subscribers. Aside from the question above about how to get rid of old issues, here are a few thoughts and findings:

Both are delivered to a Color Nook as having "enhanced" content, which means there are buttons to press that bring up more content than is in the physical mag. This is nice. But what isn't nice, IMHO, is that magazines delivered like this seem to have no way to enlarge the text. Plus, they will not display the text in landscape mode. So, unless I am missing something, you are left with just about no options for viewing the mag except this pretty small font. Maybe someone else knows how to get other reading options?

One thing that I was really pleased with is that if you have a Nook Touch (and presumably a Classic Nook), the magazine is delivered to it as a pretty plain-looking mostly text version. I was worried that "enhanced" mags might not be delivered at all to the b&w e-reader Nooks. So this is one way around the small font problem on the Color Nook - look at the pretty pictures on the Color and read the text on the Touch!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I subscribe to Maximum PC and love having it on my NC. It has full color pics and a drop down menu that allows me to choose which article I want to read on each page. I can enlarge pics and graphs if I want to also.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote