Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
HTML for Dummies and the Similarly Handicapped

Dear All ( (C) ReaderEatter, formerly RobertB):

I have the idea of creating a personal web page in the future. Thus, I've decided to learn the basics of HTML. Do you know of any reference texts to start with?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
"Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours" gets good reviews - but is strictly for beginners.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
You have that appropriately named HTML for Dummies book. It is very easy to read and understand. I would recommend that one.

Atletico, Rayo, o Real?

A mi me gusta el Atletico, mas por causa de Mourinho sigo los partidos de Real.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I support Barcelona In fact, I come from the Canary Islands, not from Madrid. I'm surprised that you know about Rayo Vallecano, though, as they're a team which is in the 2nd Division B
Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I like small clubs. And they were in Primera Division some years ago. I remember the red sash in a white jersey they used.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 10-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Dear All ( (C) ReaderEatter, formerly RobertB):

I have the idea of creating a personal web page in the future. Thus, I've decided to learn the basics of HTML. Do you know of any reference texts to start with?

Thanks in advance
I'm a fan of the O'Reilly books myself. Extremely thorough.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Logseman since you are able to read german you might want to look @ http://de.selfhtml.org/ (for the interested ones: there's a french version too: http://fr.selfhtml.org/)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I'm going to recommend the free resource http://www.w3schools.com/ which I still nip back to occasionally. Really good tutorials.

Oh and aim to learn css, particularly for page layouts rather than <shudder> tables.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Logseman
Orisa

Seemingly HTML and CSS are a sort of bundle in these days... and maybe I could learn things about ebooks that way. However, I'll go step by step and check the materials you've posted. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
while we are on such topic:
Since a fair ammount of the well done epubs here is done by HTML and CSS savvy people here, due to the needs of manual fine tuning:

Wouldn't it be great if said contributors 'd put up a collaborative "epub for Dummies" ? (should I move that to the book begging thread?)
Since the only method existing ATM is to dig oneself trough the web design learning material with one eye while keeping the other one on the epub specs; checking which part of the first pile can be skipped as not supported and thus not needed knowledge for epub creation only.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 10-08-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typos as usual
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I'm surprised that you know about Rayo Vallecano, though, as they're a team which is in the 2nd Division B
Even me, and I live in the other shore, have heard about Rayo. In the 80s or 90s they had a reputation of giant-killers in the King's Cup.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post

Wouldn't it be great if said contributors 'd put up a collaborative "epub for Dummies" ?

Please !
Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
Laurenes
Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurenes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
I'm going to recommend the free resource http://www.w3schools.com/ which I still nip back to occasionally. Really good tutorials.

Oh and aim to learn css, particularly for page layouts rather than <shudder> tables.
Hi I'm also getting started with web design but it's still really confusing at the moment and somehow I feel like the only person not clever enough to figure all the pieces of the puzzle out by myself

But w3schools seems like a good ressource to get started and I also find CodeAcademy quite useful http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/web
Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please don't post to 4-year-old threads. It's vanishingly unlikely that the original poster is interested in your reply after that length of time.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread