Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That is a wrong assumption you're using. Maybe there are only 33 million fanboys as people will replace 1 with 2 and then with 3...

What I would find interesting to know, how many first-buyers are there? (so, people that don't already own a tablet and people that do have an android tablet)
46% are new to platform.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...t-time-owners/
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You started this thread with the title, New iPad has sold 3 million devices. obsessed2 simply threw in a couple of links to articles that question whether overheating problems will slow down sales. It's a legitimate question and on-topic. There's no need for name calling.
Maybe not, but all of the insults directed at Apple users do get pretty old - lemmings, iSheep, brainwashed, etc.

And while the questions might be legitimate, two links with no commentary or discussion has more of a "drive-by" feeling than that of a legitimate attempt to participate in a conversation.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that number were correct - but all the author of the linked article did to arrive at that number was to ask 160 people standing in line at one Apple Store in NY; that's not really valid in any meaningful way.

And it would also be interesting to know what happens to the old iPads - I bought an iPad 3 and am not new to the platform - but I sold my iPad 2 to someone who is.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Maybe not, but all of the insults directed at Apple users do get pretty old - lemmings, iSheep, brainwashed, etc.

And while the questions might be legitimate, two links with no commentary or discussion has more of a "drive-by" feeling than that of a legitimate attempt to participate in a conversation.
I certainly can't argue with that.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I cooked eggs on my mine this morning. Plan on baking a pizza tonight on it.

I'm trying to figure out your point. Why you hate apple or even care? I really don't understand. iPad doesn't have any more problems than any other tablet. I'm sure you could find just as many if not more articles about problems with other tablets. So why do you feel inclined to only post iPad or apple articles? Clearly you have some beef with them. If not, then you would equally post articles regarding other tablets. You're just trolling now.

Btw. I use it all day long & still don't have any heating problems with it.

Originally my post about the heating problem was to suggest it might slow down sales. This is not some unique problem to Apple and has plagued many electronic devices including the original Xbox 360.

Some call it a "drive-by" posting but sometimes it's easier to make a point with a link to something pertinent to the conversation without repeating what is said in the articles. You can look for other posts by me throughout Mobileread and you will find many of my posts are similar. Here's an example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81#post2012481

I truly believe Apple started out as a decent company. I have owned Mac in the past and even today own an iPod Touch and love it. I am also extremely impressed with the iPad2 and would even consider buying one if Apple would change their evil ways. In the past couple of years they have turned real ugly and they hate competition.

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireles...diculous.shtml

http://www.omnitechnews.net/2011/07/...s-competition/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19121...en_source.html

You can call it trolling or whatever you like but these stories are all over and a lot of people are starting to see Apple for the company they really are, except those who worship iPads. I won't resort to name calling but I'm all ears if you can legitimately defend Apple's recent business practices.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12...ts-and-phones/

http://blog.inner-active.com/2012/01...eve-jobs-face/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/a...75?tag=nl.e550

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/03/...ast/index.html

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ent-violations

http://www.electronista.com/articles...sung.expanded/

Last edited by obsessed2; 03-21-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If this bickering doesn't end now, I'm closing the thread. There have been insults enough. Some people like Apple products. Some people don't. There's no need to draw people into a fight over their personal preferences.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
You can call it trolling or whatever you like but these stories are all over and a lot of people are starting to see Apple for the company they really are, except those who worship iPads.
Shrug.
Conclusion I come to is that the techies who run these sites really hate Apple, and look for any story they can find that makes Apple look bad.
I mean the PC World one, really?
SDK agreements with Sony and Microsoft for XBox/PS3 development don't include reverse-engineering clauses, or prohibit hacking the security systems?

Somehow this:
Quote:
You will not, through use of the Apple Software, services or otherwise create any Application or other program that would disable, hack, or otherwise interfere with the Security Solution, or any security, digital signing, digital rights management, verification or authentication mechanisms implemented in or by the iPhone operating system software, iPod Touch operating system software, this Apple Software, any services or other Apple software or technology, or enable others to do so.
Becomes
Quote:
"this could mean that iPhone app developers are forbidden from making iPods interoperate with open source software"
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Shrug.
Conclusion I come to is that the techies who run these sites really hate Apple, and look for any story they can find that makes Apple look bad.

PC World, CNN, ZDNet are among some of the most respected names in the industry.

Techdirt reports on a lot of issues dealing with technology as evidenced on their home page: http://www.techdirt.com/

I'm sure some of the blogs may be anti-Apple, but more and more stories about Apple's business practices and litigious ways are starting to gain mainstream attention.

Last edited by obsessed2; 03-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

This thread is going nowhere but down.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread