Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #76
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that FW should just give you the book, Geoff - they can't have many customers as dedicated as you!

Have you looked to see if it's available at BoB?
8 books, Harry !!!

I'm in the process of asking for a refund on my membership which is a recent transaction - either that or else I've got to change my reading habits - but damnit! - why should I .

I've not yet looked in BoB, but I'm sure that at some stage they too will introduce restriction.

What UK options do we have ?
Sir Pratchett's books aren't available in Wh Smith in Cy format .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No - unfortunately all the UK shops seem to favour ePub .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #78
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No - unfortunately all the UK shops seem to favour ePub .

A rude word, unusually, just passed my lips ......
Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #79
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
My Paypal profile will not allow me to add a non-UK address ..... either as myself, nor as a 'gift'...........
Oh - how odd. I've just checked and you're right. They no longer allow this. It seems I have a US address on my list of addresses because I added one before they changed this.

In which case, the new Paypal account seems your only method with Paypal. I did it with a new account, using a US address. I then added my UK card, giving it a US billing address. Weird, but it did get the $1 debit so I could verify the account and be allowed to send money out of it..
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #80
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC;
8 books, Harry !!!

I'm in the process of asking for a refund on my membership which is a recent transaction - either that or else I've got to change my reading habits - but damnit! - why should I .

I've not yet looked in BoB, but I'm sure that at some stage they too will introduce restriction.

What UK options do we have ?
Sir Pratchett's books aren't available in Wh Smith in Cy format .....
I had problems with BoB over geographic restrictions some time ago, however they accept Google checkout which worked for me.

Change BoB country to US, choose US within Google as delivery address (you have to give Google the correct card address as billing address, you can choose what info is not to be passed to retailer). I set up an account before buying, I am in Spain & used a UK based CC, plus I got an extra 1% discount using it.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #81
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
I've been trying that dodge, but couldn't find the post code of 1 Capitol Hill.....
Did you also try it using that address as your billing address in FW?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #82
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Did you also try it using that address as your billing address in FW?
it wasn't possible to enter into Paypal - I'm restricted to UK entries only - so I didn't get as far as putting it into FW...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #83
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it wasn't possible to enter into Paypal - I'm restricted to UK entries only - so I didn't get as far as putting it into FW...
Yeah, but I mean if you skip paypal altogether, and just pay with your CC directly, using the Capitol Hill address as your billing address on FW.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK - just to test this out, I've tried to buy "Stranger in a Strange Land" with PayPal and...

... failed

Looks as though the system has been tightened up.

I then bought it with Micropay, and that worked fine. Obviously, though, I didn't get the extra discount that I would have done had I paid with PayPal. Still a good price, though, even so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #85
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So it looks like a new Paypal acccount is one way to get around the restrictions. Otherwise, the Entropay prepaid visa card works, according to someone earlier in this thread.

http://www.entropay.com/

I haven't tried it myself, since it seems I can use the US address I had in my paypal address book from a while back.

Paul

Quote:
OK - just to test this out, I've tried to buy "Stranger in a Strange Land" with PayPal and...

... failed

Looks as though the system has been tightened up.

I then bought it with Micropay, and that worked fine. Obviously, though, I didn't get the extra discount that I would have done had I paid with PayPal. Still a good price, though, even so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #86
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Yeah, but I mean if you skip paypal altogether, and just pay with your CC directly, using the Capitol Hill address as your billing address on FW.

The CC address wouldn't then tally with the billing address, and I'd also fail on that score...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #87
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Re Entropay: note the 4.95% charge for funding your account.

http://www.entropay.com/popups/faq.en.php

Is there any monthly or annual fee for EntroPay Accounts?

There are no monthly or annual fees with an EntroPay Virtual Card. Our only fee is the 4.95% charge on each amount loaded onto an EntroPay Virtual Card. There are no hidden fees.

Return funds from EntroPay Account to personal credit/debit card: we charge a GBP3/USD6 fee as outlined in our Terms and Conditions.

There is no minimum withdrawal amount. Your balance must however be sufficient to cover the GBP3/USD6 withdrawal fee.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #88
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."

Quote:
The CC address wouldn't then tally with the billing address, and I'd also fail on that score...
Will it hurt to try? It worked fine for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #89
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have bought some of the books in the past using micropay, but then you do not get the rebates. Like many other people in this forum, I had the problem that my (Dutch) Paypal account could not be used to buy those restricted books. That is why I have been looking for another way to pay.

Geert
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #90
NuclearWinter
Enthusiast
NuclearWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle PW2, iPad Mini, Nexus 6
Have you guys tried just paying by credit card and changing the country field in billing address to US? While making sure the rest of your address is correct (ie: use your european address exactly, aside from the country)? Because as far as I know Fictionwise, like a lot of places, don't actually send the country field as part of the credit card authorisation.

Last edited by NuclearWinter; 05-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
NuclearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote