Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
mhutch79
mhutch79 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Kindle for PC

I am not a technical person but I am usually able to figure things out. Can Kindle for PC be used? If so, how?

I have bought one book and it's on the Kindle for PC and I want it on my nook. First off, I can't even find the actual *book* file on my computer. Just application files for Kindle for PC. Just as an FYI. If I'm not able to convert from kindle for PC to my nook, I'm going to be very disappointed.
mhutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You can. There are various things to remove the DRM.

Assuming you are using Windows, the files will be in something like :-

C:\Documents and Settings\mhutch79_userid_on_that_pc\My Documents\My Kindle Content

You can download calibre, and grab the KindleForPc plugin that removes the DRM and install that.

Once that is done, import the book into calibre, export to epub/some other format, load to Nook.

There are other drm stripping and reformatting options as well. Searching mobileread will find you a few.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
mhutch79
mhutch79 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have already installed calibre.
mhutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Calibre doesn't remove drm protections, or am I missing something??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
You are correct...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can only format shift DRM-free ebooks. However, you can add 3rd-party plugins to Calibre and some of these remove DRM (encryption) for you. The most useful of these is a plugin that strips the DRM from K4PC AZW ebooks. As usual for DRM issues, Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good source of information.

To add a plugin (that has been downloaded to your PC as a zip, don't unzip it) into Calibre, select Preferences -> Plugins -> File type plugins -> Add new plugin -> zip plugin file.

The K4PC ebooks are in My Documents\My Kindle Content

This is mostly a repeat of what Blue Tyson said above, which was exactly correct.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-17-2010 at 11:38 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Calibre itself doesn't do that BUT there seems to be a plugin for Calibre available that do the trick.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where do I find this plugin, I would like to try it out?? Does it only strip the DRM for K4PC or can it do it for Kindle books also?

Oh, and sorry for missing Blue Tyson's explanation.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 10-17-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 10-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Where do I find this plugin, I would like to try it out?? Does it only strip the DRM for K4PC or can it do it for Kindle books also?

Oh, and sorry for missing Blue Tyson's explanation.
Apprentice Alf's blog will help you. Google is your friend.

The plug-in does work. A very handy addition
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Thank you, I guess I was googling on the wrong terminology.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I have been playing with the Kindle4pc plugin. One question, Amazon names the K4pc files with a filename which is not easily interpreted, so when importing them into Calibre they are not recognized as duplicates. Is there an easier way to identify what the title and author is for these books without having to individually view and rename them manually?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
I have been playing with the Kindle4pc plugin. One question, Amazon names the K4pc files with a filename which is not easily interpreted, so when importing them into Calibre they are not recognized as duplicates. Is there an easier way to identify what the title and author is for these books without having to individually view and rename them manually?
From the "Home" view, archive all of your Amazon books (right click book) and bring them back one at a time. The file name is irrelevant since Calibre gets its title/author info from the metadata. Calibre lets you organize your books - DRM or no.

This works for me.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 10-18-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

John:

I thought so but Calibre is importing the books with the title as the filename. It doesn't do this for the Kindle books, only for the K4PC ones. Maybe this has to do with my settings, I will look at those to see if I can improve this.

Thanks for the response.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know how DRM would influence this, but have a look at the preferences->adding books. I'm guessing you want to check to read metadata from file content instead of file name.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I don't know how DRM would influence this, but have a look at the preferences->adding books. I'm guessing you want to check to read metadata from file content instead of file name.
That is exactly what was missing, thanks all. Now off to work on all those books.