Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #25156
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Good: your ancestor is featured in a book about a historical incident.

Bad: your ancestor is the villain of the piece.

Good: it is a good book.

Bad: your ancestor is deservedly the villain of the piece.

Still no word on the frogurt...
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #25157
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Desert Grandma is MIA
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #25158
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
We don't have tarantulas here in the beautiful Sandwich Isles, but we do have Cane Spiders.

There very cool, and it's considered lucky to have one in your house. They're great at pest control, and think B-52 cock roaches are gourmet grinds. They can, however be a bit of a surprise when they're hiding in the folds of the shower curtain.

And I don't even want to think about the centipedes!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #25159
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Only two weeks left and 2014 will finally be over. The year started out well enough, summer and into early fall was actually great, but the rest of the year really sucked. It just seemed like one thing after another. The Grim Reaper was especially active amongst friends and family. Amongst the board of my local library Friends of the Library organization I'm now the only surviving member (other than the library director) from the start of the year. One of the things that sucks about getting old is that the circle that you have a history with just gets smaller and smaller.

Also for a while there it looked like the stock market was going to go into another free fall. Watching the money I am counting on to retire in a few years evaporate is unnerving.

So the only thing to be done is to say FI and go all in. Think about those who would love to exchange my “first world problems” for theirs. So a big donation $$$ to Doctors Without Borders. Maybe I'll feel a little pain when my next credit card bill comes, but for now I'm feeling real good about myself. The great big Ebola epidemic in the US was BS ginned up for political purposes and because the media likes to keep us in a perpetual state of panic. It is a real problem in West Africa though.

Alright so this morning something else. My Kindle PW battery has been running down much faster than when it was new. Now yesterday and this morning the USB connection is sometimes working and sometimes not. The not happens much more often, making a connection seems to be shear luck. And I've already given myself my Christmas present too.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #25160
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Desert Grandma is MIA
She was seen as recently as October, at least, over in another world. Recovering from some depression, but doing well. Still walking softly but carrying her Big Stick (TM).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #25161
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm trying to register myself on the website of my GP. That way I can order repeat prescriptions online instead of having to go by to get one. But it doesn't want to take my registration because I only fill in one initial for my first name and it insists you have to have multiple initials. Because my mother was traumatized by her names my parents only gave us one first name.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #25162
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I'm trying to register myself on the website of my GP. That way I can order repeat prescriptions online instead of having to go by to get one. But it doesn't want to take my registration because I only fill in one initial for my first name and it insists you have to have multiple initials. Because my mother was traumatized by her names my parents only gave us one first name.
NMN?

As in, "No Middle Name?" Does the system recognize that? Some do, or...I don't know what the equivalent would be, but there should be one in Dutch. (It's Dutch, right? Sorry, the view once you're posting doesn't let me confirm my increasingly-unreliable memory!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #25163
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
NMN?

As in, "No Middle Name?" Does the system recognize that? Some do, or...I don't know what the equivalent would be, but there should be one in Dutch. (It's Dutch, right? Sorry, the view once you're posting doesn't let me confirm my increasingly-unreliable memory!)

Hitch
Indeed, no middle name and also Dutch. The GP's new system seems to insist you should have multiple initials.

I've had this problem several times, especially at university in the UK. I had to go to the registrar's office each year to explain it to them (also they always registered all Dutch students as being from the Netherlands Antilles instead of the Netherlands). Coupled with a difficult surname (even for the Dutch, it's impossible for other languages) I have spend a lot of time on phones, sending emails and in offices to get things corrected.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #25164
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Indeed, no middle name and also Dutch. The GP's new system seems to insist you should have multiple initials.

I've had this problem several times, especially at university in the UK. I had to go to the registrar's office each year to explain it to them (also they always registered all Dutch students as being from the Netherlands Antilles instead of the Netherlands). Coupled with a difficult surname (even for the Dutch, it's impossible for other languages) I have spend a lot of time on phones, sending emails and in offices to get things corrected.
This isn't quite the same, but when I was young(ish), I had a hyphenated last name, due to having two dads, one my birth-dad and one my adoptive/step-dad. I didn't want to "diss" either, once I got to the age of consent. However, the military just really had issues with giving me hyphenated nametags for my fatigues and my greens--which I insisted upon having. You don't get to insist on much in the military, but I wasn't giving ground on that one.

I suspect that it's a LOT more common nowadays, but at the time...I must have gone through the first month or more of basic without nametags on my fatigues. Drove the drills nuts. "Private...what's your name again?" ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #25165
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This isn't quite the same, but when I was young(ish), I had a hyphenated last name, due to having two dads, one my birth-dad and one my adoptive/step-dad. I didn't want to "diss" either, once I got to the age of consent. However, the military just really had issues with giving me hyphenated nametags for my fatigues and my greens--which I insisted upon having. You don't get to insist on much in the military, but I wasn't giving ground on that one.

I suspect that it's a LOT more common nowadays, but at the time...I must have gone through the first month or more of basic without nametags on my fatigues. Drove the drills nuts. "Private...what's your name again?" ;-)

Hitch
LOL.

My surname consists of two words. My actual surname and in front of it "van" (of). It's normal in the Netherlands to have a word inserted between first and surname, such as van, de (the), van de/der (of the), etc. But in the UK this was problematic.

I can remember when I had to book a flight back to the Netherlands when my grandmother died. I had to wait over two hours at the travel agent. Because the system didn't want to accept "van" in small letters (names have to be written on the airline ticket as on your ID/passport) and because my surname was to long for the system, so they had to call the main office to get them to book the ticket for me.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #25166
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello I would just like to let out my frustration over tension headaches. It's been impeding my work and it's difficult to concentrate on things. I've had worst case of migraines, but this had to happen at a significant time where I should be putting my best foot forward at work. Sigh.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #25167
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:

Hitch
Lol! I was "alphabet k" in basic as I have a fairly impossible German last name. I made it even more interesting when I got to Germany and realized I could get name tags with the proper spelling using an umlaut o and dropping an e which is the americanized spelling of it. The Germans that worked for our company were delighted and I quickly became their favorite.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #25168
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Ko(e)nig I guess.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #25169
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Similar, but not it. There are three syllables that make it up, and I have at times. Especially when dealing with forms run out of space when the entity required the full name. All names..... particularly dealing with security positions
Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #25170
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
Hello I would just like to let out my frustration over tension headaches. It's been impeding my work and it's difficult to concentrate on things. I've had worst case of migraines, but this had to happen at a significant time where I should be putting my best foot forward at work. Sigh.
I hope you feel better soon, Lin. I know how horrible a migraine headache could be.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness