Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #31
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Atheros, the manufacturer of the wifi chip seems perfectly reasonable to me?

According to this discussion http://logsoku.com/thread/hibari.2ch...98556348/1-100, it's the Google Framework Service. However, I don't have Google's certs lying around to sign the apk.

Found an udpate.zip over at xda. A few posts after this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...915354&page=50. The zip actually supplies the sign keys itself.

So back to the recovery for now.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-17-2011 at 06:54 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #32
sdt1
sdt1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eVox
Smile Market.apk ===> MarketUpdater.apk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
I tried to follow your instructions, installed GoogleServicesFramework.apk, but not the rest (there is no "Market.apk" in your package. If you meant market_update.apk, it wouldn't install for me). Now I have the option to add a Google account, but after I enter my login and password, it's trying to communicate with google servers for a few minutes, and then fails. I was running netstat at the same time, to see what communications are taking place. It looked strange - I didn't see any connections to external IPs during the google account sign-in step; only after it fails, netstat reports a connection to market.android.com IP in some WAIT state. I checked for any firewall issues, and at least ping (from inside Kobo) had no problem connecting to that IP. Of course, they can be blocking specific ports, not IPs.
Hmm...maybe it was MarketUpdater.apk...I don't remember now, but I do have a Market app running in services under "Manage Applications", in addition to GoogleFrameworkServices...

I ran into the same issue you did with logging into my Market account. That is the connection problem I was hoping someone with a bit more knowledge about these things than I could solve. Thanks for looking into it a bit further, and I hope that what I came up with is a start?
sdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
sdt1

Lightbulb Certs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Atheros, the manufacturer of the wifi chip seems perfectly reasonable to me?

According to this discussion http://logsoku.com/thread/hibari.2ch...98556348/1-100, it's the Google Framework Service. However, I don't have Google's certs lying around to sign the apk.

Found an udpate.zip over at xda. A few posts after this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...915354&page=50. The zip actually supplies the sign keys itself.

So back to the recovery for now.
I found the same update.zip over at xda, but I don't know how or where to install the certs. There is a certificate manager/installer service running on the eVox though...wonder if it auto-manages/installs a cert, but I didn't try it...thoughts anyone?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #34
sdt1

Could this GApps installer be made to work w/ eVox?

I have this other .apk for Froyo, and it works perfectly under Froyo 2.2 (tested w/ Archos 101/ARM Cortex A8, to install 17 files to what path I do not know) and gets Google Market working (with successful sign-in). Do any of you have the tools to figure out which files and what install paths from dissecting this .apk? If so, maybe we could re-tool this installer to work in Gingerbread with the Kobo eVox/Cortex A8? See file attached (P.S.- I installed it on the Kobo eVox, but when running and clicking on "install core files", the message reads "0 files installed, reboot" instead of what it should say, which is "17 files installed, reboot"). Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gAppsInstaller_v5-final.apk.zip (3.44 MB, 264 views)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #35
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

It's not just 'try another framework' - the problem is that our OS gives out mac addresses in the wrong format (and some services are not intelligent enough to understand that 16 digits are 16 digits, if periods or colons). So the option is to hack the framework so it replaces periods with colons.

The whole problem may well be connected with me being unable to buy a certain newspaper, somebody else being unable to make a PPTP connection. Maybe even the fact the Netflix updates don't come straight through the app. Heck, a whole lot of possible problems in a world where embedded devices want to be recognized individually. I won't even start talking about the legality of hacking these packages.
There is a bug in the OS, pretty easy to manage if you have already read the documentation. Thus for me, it's Kobo's problem. Write a bug report.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-18-2011 at 09:10 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #36
harveyj
harveyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
To do a factory reset hold the Volume + switch while powering on the kobo Vox. Note you will lose all new installed aps
harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #37
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
It's not just 'try another framework' - the problem is that our OS gives out mac addresses in the wrong format (and some services are not intelligent enough to understand that 16 digits are 16 digits, if periods or colons). So the option is to hack the framework so it replaces periods with colons.
Sounds to me like it wants it without colons or periods.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #38
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

where oh where are they

I hear what you say but what I am finding is many links that appear to have links to download the apps which when clicked lead to another page (to load ads) and finally to the A Market.
I am not getting anywhere for instance getting the actual file for Perfect Viewer PDF plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
Actually, it is fairly easy to install the Kindle app, with just a simple download. There are many places to get it. Here is one: Kindle App at FreeWareLovers

It is fairly easy to get any free Android app. Just do a Google search for android app name apk. It is more difficult to pay for non-free apps, although in many cases it is possible to get them.

Keith
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #39
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I hear what you say but what I am finding is many links that appear to have links to download the apps which when clicked lead to another page (to load ads) and finally to the A Market.
I am not getting anywhere for instance getting the actual file for Perfect Viewer PDF plugin.
GJSmith,

I just clicked on the link that Mr_Nobody gave you in the thread "Perfect Viewer PDF Plugin you started and it took me to the RookieStudio site.

On the bottom of the page under the DOWNLOAD heading are links for the latest version of Perfectview and the PDF plugin.

In each case there are two links. The second link is indeed to the Android Market, but the first link in each case will download the APK to your computer or Vox if you are browsing from the Vox.

I just downloaded both to my PC.

As for finding apps, here is a site where I have found many free apps. Note that there are lots of paid apps as well but they require the Android Market to buy. Also note that the site is quite flaky as far as response. Be prepared to refresh every so often to get the site to respond. When you click the DOWNLOAD button it may take a minute or two for your browser to open a save dialog.

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...54657411842569

The link is to the page for the Google Maps app. I find with this site if I go to the main downloads page, often I can't get in.

Larry

ps. I clicked the link above to check it is OK.

LJ
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote