Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Series and Number

New to Calibre. Great piece of software for e-books. Question: Lord of the Rings has 3 books to the series I believe. Under Edit Metadata, in the "Series" tab I would enter 1 for the 1st book, 2 for the 2nd etc.? What is the "Number" tab for?
Spur52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
In the series box you would enter the series name Lord of the Rings
In the series number you enter the series number 1,2,3
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Thanks Helen. Could you also tell me why the need of a decimal in the number box?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur52 View Post
Could you also tell me why the need of a decimal in the number box?
That was added at the request of users to give more flexibility in serieies ordering. Typical usage is to add books that show up between the ones with integer values. This could be because they are associated short stories, or books that were published later but logically belong in that place.

I also use it personally to help with magazines - I then use year.month as the series number.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
One author where I use decimals is Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum books are all numbered in the title. So they get integer series numbers.

There are also in between books, like "Visions of Sugar Plums" which is a holiday novel, publsihed between the main series books 8 and 9. So I give it the number 8.5.

I also use them to insert a book in a series or series like column, then I can sort by the numbers and then bulk edit to renumber them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Spur52
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's. I can see I am going to enjoy this software.