Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Does the current crop of e-ink cut it ?

I'm still waiting for a serious e-ink tool to surface. E-ink is essential to my eyes. Everything I've tried so far has me crying like a ninny in less time than I'd care for. It's hard to do serious work when you keep fighting tears until everything is just a blur.

A laptop does'nt cut it. Even tablets are too bulky for what I do. The LCD I use on my PC now, barely passes and I have to turn my eyes away often, even as the refresh is set to the best setting possible. Give me a paper text of some kind and I'll read till I fall asleep.

Computing power has been overkill for a long time specially since what I do uses mostly static display. The old Mac of yesteryear still cuts it. The PC I'm writing on does all the Cad, picture retouch, web creation and presentation (like my site) I need. A PDA's computing power now is more than adequate but the size is not and the display is worse. Why not a B&W or color PDA with e-ink? That would be a killer!

As for books, I have enough paper material to last the rest of my life. We have the chance around here to have a very special outfit that teaches illiterate people the marvels of reading. They have a unique way of funding. They take donations of book via a 24 hour round bin, and resell the books in a shop they have for a ridiculous price; like 2% of their original value. Last time I went there I came out with 80 very good paperbacks for $10.50. That is 6 months reading for me. When I'm done I just bring them back to the bin. A "novels only" reader is a luxury that is doomed. A reader to survive has to be able to do much much more.

Irex was on the right track from the start, if it could only get out of beta! And color next year is their best bet yet...

Sony has a computer market to protect. I can understand. It's present approach is with a limited luxury market that may work but will certainly not greet the masses.

I hope I'm not alone feeling this way.

I'm still hopeful that an A4 color e-ink with input will come out next year. "Only for geeks" they say? Bloody right they are!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I understand the tears. Me too.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I share your pain.

When will we see a display technology at a reasonable price that is fast enough for use on a tablet pc, easy on the eyes and great in the sun like e-ink, back/front/side lightable?

We see steps forward, but the first comprehensive display solution for computing and reading is still no more than a concept at best. So until then, we have gradually improving LCD displays for computers, and e-ink for reading devices, and maybe some other specialty alternatives like OLED.

Laser displays (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=8126) are a possibility, but I wouldn't look for that in the near future.

Until then, we can all cry together.

But the Sony Reader and iLiad definitely take away much of the pain for those of us that mostly read novels.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I think an A4-sized device would be too bulky and heavy to hold for extended periods of time. The Sony's weight and dimensions are just about right, IMO. Display contrast under low-light conditions definitely needs to improve, though. Also, the UI is too sluggish. And add a speaker so that we can hear button clicks like on an iPod.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You know, I wasn't having any problems looking at my monitor until I read yvan's description of his own -- now my eyes are burning and watering!

Laurens, I (for one ) like the absence of an audible feedback on my Reader! The button action is crisp enough that I get a tactile "click" from it, I don't want actual sound coming at me!

I already have way too stinkin' many things beeping and plonking and buzzing at me as it is.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-19-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
That's why the keyword is optional. You can turn off the clicks on the iPod if you want.

It sounds to me yvan like you want a tablet pc with a better display. I think the best bet is for LCD manufacturers to continue to improve their product, instead of trying to morph e-Ink into something that it's not. But who knows what will happen, there is still tons of room for technological growth in the display arena.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
That's why the keyword is optional. You can turn off the clicks on the iPod if you want.

It sounds to me yvan like you want a tablet pc with a better display. I think the best bet is for LCD manufacturers to continue to improve their product, instead of trying to morph e-Ink into something that it's not. But who knows what will happen, there is still tons of room for technological growth in the display arena.
You got it! It does'nt have to be fancy, just e-ink for static applications. No video, no powerpoint, no flash...

I will buy the Sony because I like novels and also as a means of funding R&D, because if we don't buy it, readers will die...again.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Laurens, I (for one ) like the absence of an audible feedback on my Reader! The button action is crisp enough that I get a tactile "click" from it, I don't want actual sound coming at me!
Well, sometimes it's unclear whether a button press has actually registered because it takes so long to render the next page, especially with relatively complex PDFs, so an (optional) audible click would help here.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can see that point, I just value the silence more. If it could be turned off, I wouldn't see any problem with it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

If we forget the fact that the Iliad and the PRS use e-ink as a display interface, what good is their computing power compared to present day PDAs ?