Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #241
mony
mony began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You do not need linux. Use fastboot for win32 instead.
not working always saying please connect device and tried some methods to make device seen and nothing occured i guess the problem in the tool it self
i see some reports also like that
is there any way to log in fastboot mode iam working and reading for week and i started to get pannic as i get nothing every tial
mony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #242
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Fastboot for win32 requires that you install and configure libusb-win32. Otherwise it will not see the kindle as a fastboot device.

The linux version of fastboot does not need special drivers, but you should set fastboot mode from diags, so that it gets saved. Otherwise you will have difficulty going from windows to run MfgTool, then switching to linux to run fastboot. If the USB port disconnects of reset, the kindle will drop out of fastboot mode.

It will be easier to use it from windows, but only after you have the libusb-win32 drivers working.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #243
mony
mony began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3G
Quote:
Fastboot for win32 requires that you install and configure libusb-win32. Otherwise it will not see the kindle as a fastboot device.

The linux version of fastboot does not need special drivers, but you should set fastboot mode from diags, so that it gets saved. Otherwise you will have difficulty going from windows to run MfgTool, then switching to linux to run fastboot. If the USB port disconnects of reset, the kindle will drop out of fastboot mode.

It will be easier to use it from windows, but only after you have the libusb-win32 drivers working.
i tried this also and libusb -win32 dont working and notjing occured
iam using windows7 64bit
mony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #244
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mony View Post
i tried this also and libusb -win32 dont working and notjing occured
iam using windows7 64bit
Windows 7 64-bit requires 64-bit signed device drivers. Perhaps you can run a 32-bit winxp in a VM?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #245
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can anyone help me? I've bricked my KT...and I've tried the following several times, but it's still gets stuck in boot-screen(where s man under a tree):
  1. Flash Diags 5.1 SSH
  2. Flash kernel-5.0.0.img
  3. Reboot
  4. Copy mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img to /mnt/us
  5. Then enter:
    Code:
    dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
    idme -d --bootmode main
    rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
    reboot
I've tried again with ssh(putty), and found that i can't mount /dev/mmcblk0p1, it suggest dmesg | tail and return the errors list:
Code:
kernel: I papyrus:TempExceeded:temp=32:
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev mmcblk0p1.
VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev mmcblk0p1.
How can I fix the mmcblk0p1 partition.
Thanks you.

Last edited by ppoo; 05-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #246
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoo View Post
Can anyone help me? I've bricked my KT...and I've tried the following several times, but it's still gets stuck in boot-screen(where s man under a tree):
  1. Flash Diags 5.1 SSH
  2. Flash kernel-5.0.0.img
  3. Reboot
  4. Copy mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img to /mnt/us
  5. Then enter:
    Code:
    dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
    idme -d --bootmode main
    rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
    reboot
I've tried again with ssh(putty), and found that i can't mount /dev/mmcblk0p1, it suggest dmesg | tail and return the errors list:
Code:
VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev mmcblk0p1.
How can I fix the mmcblk0p1 partition.
Thanks you.
The commands look correct. I need to see you do that again and post a copy of what you typed (above) and the output messages from those commands. You can copy the scrollback buffer from putty. Can you post that here please?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-28-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #247
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Smile

Quote:
The commands look correct. I need to see you do that again and post a copy of what you typed (above) and the output messages from those commands. You can copy the scrollback buffer from putty. Can you post that here please?
Thanks for your fast reply
I forget to tell that my kindle touch has been updated to firmware 5.1. Then I bricked it ;(
My result here:
From system32\cmd.exe
Code:
D:\kindle\fastboot>fastboot.exe flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
downloading 'kernel'...
OKAY [  0.234s]
writing 'kernel'...
OKAY [  0.938s]
finished. total time: 1.172s
D:\kindle\fastboot>fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
downloading 'diags'...
OKAY [  3.109s]
writing 'diags'...
OKAY [  6.406s]
finished. total time: 9.516s
From Putty
Code:
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
p1 bs=4K
dd: writing '/dev/mmcblk0p1': No space left on device
89601+0 records in
89600+0 records out
367001600 bytes (350.0MB) copied, 140.341680 seconds, 2.5MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
dd: writing '/dev/mmcblk0p3': No space left on device
8193+0 records in
8192+0 records out
33554432 bytes (32.0MB) copied, 0.267083 seconds, 119.8MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# idme -d --bootmode main
Devmode enabled
Reading vars from temp storage...
...None found, Copying vars from /proc
Setting bootmode to main
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# mount -text3 /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/us/tmp
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mmcblk0p1,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# dmesg | tail
kernel: I papyrus:TempExceeded:temp=31:
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]#

Last edited by ppoo; 05-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #248
geekmaster

Quote:
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
dd: writing '/dev/mmcblk0p3': No space left on device
8193+0 records in
8192+0 records out
33554432 bytes (32.0MB) copied, 0.267083 seconds, 119.8MB/s
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# idme -d --bootmode main
Devmode enabled
Reading vars from temp storage...
...None found, Copying vars from /proc
Setting bootmode to main
Writing new vars to temp area
You must reboot before new values will take effect
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# mount -text3 /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/us/tmp
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mmcblk0p1,

dmesg | tail or so
It did exactly as expected. You are trying to mount a drive that you just zeroed out. It will be reformatted as ext3 by the startup scripts when you reboot, and then it will be mounted and some files and folders will be added to it. Your settings will be set to defaults, so you will need to go into the settings menu to make any changes you need, such as locale and wifi settings.

You will also need to update to whatever firmware version you want. Sometimes an update can take a long time, and can look bricked, when it is really just "busy".

You can reboot with a "reboot" command, after the "idme" command that you did. Do a reboot command INSTEAD OF trying the mount the zeroed drive, in the transcript above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-28-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #249
ppoo
Connoisseur

Quote:
It did exactly as expected. You are trying to mount a drive that you just zeroed out. It will be reformatted as ext3 by the startup scripts when you reboot, and then it will be mounted and some files and folders will be added to it. Your settings will be set to defaults, so you will need to go into the settings menu to make any changes you need, such as locale and wifi settings.

You will also need to update to whatever firmware version you want. Sometimes an update can take a long time, and can look bricked, when it is really just "busy".

You can reboot with a "reboot" command, after the "idme" command that you did. Do a reboot command INSTEAD OF trying the mount the zeroed drive, in the transcript above.
Oh! I will wait and report to you soon.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #250
geekmaster

Quote:
Oh! I will wait and report to you soon.
Oops... never mind. I misread that. I thought you were mounting the mmcblk0p3 drive that you just zeroed out. Now that I see it marked in RED, I can see that it is the main partition. Sorry.

Now, looking at it that way, I see a DIFFERENT potential problem. You should mount p1 at /mnt/mmc to test it. Does your mount point at /mnt/us/tmp exist as an EMTPY directory? It is easier just to mount it at /mnt/mmc. Try that...

And you could do an fsck on it before mounting too...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-28-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #251
ppoo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Oops... never mind. I misread that. I thought you were mounting the mmcblk0p3 drive that you just zeroed out. Now that I see it marked in RED, I can see that it is the main partition. Sorry.

Now, looking at it that way, I see a DIFFERENT potential problem. You should mount p1 at /mnt/mmc to test it. Does your mount point at /mnt/us/tmp exist as an EMTPY directory? It is easier just to mount it at /mnt/mmc. Try that...

And you could do an fsck on it before mounting too...
Yes, it's exist /mnt/us/tmp, i created it before all.
I've also tried fsck -text3 /dev/mmcblk0p1 but got error like ...bad magic number in superblock....
Now, I'm waiting a completely black screen with no tree. Is it OK ?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #252
geekmaster

It sounds like you have a bad image file. Try doing the fsck on the .img file on the /mnt/us drive. Perhaps you need to unzip it with a different tool, or copy the .gz file to the kindle and use tar zxvf ... to extract it...

Or you may need to download it again. ???
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #253
ppoo
Connoisseur

Quote:
It sounds like you have a bad image file. Try doing the fsck on the .img file on the /mnt/us drive. Perhaps you need to unzip it with a different tool, or copy the .gz file to the kindle and use tar zxvf ... to extract it...

Or you may need to download it again. ???
I think the problem here. It's unable to mount image:
Code:

root@[192_168_15_244] us]# mount -o loop -text3 ./mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img /mnt/mmc
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop/1,
       dmesg | tail  or so

[root@[192_168_15_244] us]# dmesg | tail
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev loop1.
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop1.
Can you give me MD5 hash of file mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img from http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...1-kt-5.0.0.img.

Last edited by ppoo; 05-28-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #254
ppoo
Connoisseur

@geekmaster: THANKS!!! My KT is COMPLETELY DEBRICKED
I think you should add these code to your topic, to check whether image is OK:
Code:
mount -o loop -text3 /mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img /mnt/mmc
ls /mnt/mmc
umount /mnt/mmc
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #255
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@geekmaster: THANKS!!! My KT is COMPLETELY DEBRICKED
I think you should add these code to your topic, to check whether image is OK:
Code:
mount -o loop -text3 /mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img /mnt/mmc
ls /mnt/mmc
umount /mnt/mmc
If you want to check it, why not run fsck on it?

losetup -f <find next device, here, assume loop1>
losetup /mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img /dev/loop1
fsck -f /dev/loop1
losetup -d /dev/loop1

WARNING: Do not run fsck on a mounted filesystem. Some versions of the command do not output that warning message.
Just listing the directory (with ls) tells you next to nothing about the condition of the file system.

Last edited by knc1; 05-29-2012 at 08:12 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking