Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Calibre and CPU

When doing "jobs" Calibre stress my computer to insane levels, a not too old macbook pro. The fan go crazy, but this does not happen when I use other, really demanding, software.

I can not see why downloading an RSS and creating a e-pub can be that CPU-demanding.

I would prefer to leave Calibre running in the background but as it is now that is too disturbing.

Is this a known bug?
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is not a bug.

Creating and manipulating ebooks involves file compression. That is very, very CPU intensive. Also calibre takes a conservative approach to updating the library and the books, and work on copies in the temp directory. This means a lot of file copying and transfer between different folders and drives. Also takes power and may cause a need for extra cooling. But it also means that the library and books very rarely become corrupt.

Some software may throttle the use of the CPU, to avoid hogging all the resources. Calibre has some settings in the preferences that allows you to lower the number of cores used for some tasks. That may help in some cases, but may make some jobs take longer to complete.

Install more memory if possible and make sure you have plenty of free space left on the hard drive. You might even consider upgrading to a faster hard drive.

Other than that, try cleaning the fans, and make sure they are not obstructed!

I have a 8 core computer with 16 gB RAM and SSD disk and temp folder in RAM, and calibre makes good use of it all!

Lycka till!

Last edited by Adoby; 02-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The only thing that slams it harder is a BOINC project. Conversion is a intensive CPU an IO process
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlundberg View Post
When doing "jobs" Calibre stress my computer to insane levels, a not too old macbook pro. The fan go crazy, but this does not happen when I use other, really demanding, software.
That's because the "other" demanding software isn't as demanding or not as efficient at utilizing the resources available to it. The only software I have run into that is similar in cpu use is Handbrake for converting videos.

Quote:
I can not see why downloading an RSS and creating a e-pub can be that CPU-demanding.
Downloading is not that demanding but converting the downloaded rss to epub will utilize all the cpu available to accomplish the job.

Quote:
I would prefer to leave Calibre running in the background but as it is now that is too disturbing.
Calibre only stresses the cpu during the conversion process, the rest of the time it is quiet. My concern during these big cpu load times is calibre preventing me from doing other things at the same time. To prevent this I went to Preferences - Behavior and changed Job priority from Normal to Low.

Additionally you can limit the number of conversion/news download jobs happening at once and limit cpu cores used by going to Preferences - Miscellaneous. Limiting the jobs / cpu cores can keep the cpu cooler, but it will take longer.

Quote:
Is this a known bug?
Not a bug.... a feature.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Thanks for the replies. Then I know. But from an outside perspective it is reasonable to think that a text feed to a small file containing mostly text would not be that super-demanding.

A thought: What if news were downloaded as .txt files? Would that be less straining? Maybe there could be an option for that? The news feature is such a great one, and I download a lot of them.

Anyway, I did find that limiting the cpu jobs setting, and it seems to work, but yes it takes longer. But that it still better. Now I will try combining with the priority feature too.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is not 'Straining' your system.
At least, the workout should never cause problems. It should take 100% load 24/7 if it was any decent system. (When powered from the Mains )

That said: YOU do need to keep the lint on the grills, fins and fan, reasonably clear
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
think of it this way:
every time you convert a book you are also getting a free fan-test & cobweb blow-out + it helps keep the house warm
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
nlundberg
Connoisseur

When I close my eyes I find my self surrounded by a mighty sea breeze, and I can almost smell the rotten seaweed (but is that just the garbage from the kitchen?).

Maybe this could be made in to a real feature! Whenever the metadata mentions sea, wind, cars the fan gets maxed out. When war is mentioned the hard drive gets chopped up. When electronics are mentioned the circuit board gets fried. Or no?

Well, anyway, I guess I have to live with the straining and stress and demanding demands that Calibre puts on my system. (JUST KIDDING)

Calibre is a really nice piece of software!