Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
RTFs don't have usuable metadata so no way to specify the author. RTFs don't have paragraph indents? Neither do epubs, PDFs. DOCs or any other format unless you specify one. Open your RTF in your favourite editor and change the EOL to EOL<tab> for a quick and dirty answer.
When I open the RTF in Word, it's got indents in front of the paragraphs. When I open it in the Kobo mini, it doesn't. I'll switch to space between the paragraphs, which it does recognize.

And there's some level of metadata; I can set a title and author in Word. The Kobo Mini also doesn't seem to recognize the meta features for title and author of HTML files; it shows them by filename with no known author.

Quote:
Did you check the Recently Read sort option? After your recent reads, it will show the rest of your library by added date.
Found it; still sorting out how it all works.

Quote:
As for the ghosting, that is, unfortunately, inherent in eInk displays. You can set the page refresh lower to see if that helps.
It did; refreshing after every page works great.

Quote:
You might want to look into Calibre for managing your collection. It will allow you to create shelves with a lot less effort than on the ereader itself.
I'm still dodging Calibre. I find it clunky and hard to use; it combines the functions of converter and library manager and has problems with both parts of that. I manage a lot of ebooks that require regular tweaking and editing; Calibre's not a good program for ebooks that get proofed, changed, re-edited, converted to other formats, changed and converted again, and so on. Also, its portable version is a hassle.

I may or may not bother with shelves. They'd be nice, but if it requires a bulky program I don't like using or a clunky slow touchscreen interface, I can live without it. (Makes me long for a working Astak EZR Pocket Pro, though.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #47
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

I may or may not bother with shelves. They'd be nice, but if it requires a bulky program I don't like using or a clunky slow touchscreen interface, I can live without it. (Makes me long for a working Astak EZR Pocket Pro, though.)
You can create shelves on the device, or they sync over from another Kobo device. I find it easier than doing it through Calibre.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
See this for one approach
Quote:
Originally Posted by deufeufeu View Post
Hi,
I just got a new Kobo Touch yesterday but the shelves feature seemed broken by the fact that I couldn't do a "check all" while searching to add books.
So I wrote a python script that will build shelves based on the directory in which your ebooks are located. For example if you have all IronThrones books in the folder /mnt/onboard/IronThrones it will make a shelf named IronThrones with all books of this folder added.
The script is here http://pastebin.com/hX2kqQ9b .
I don't have time to explain how to make it works, but I'm sure those having rooted their kobos will have no problem.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When I open the RTF in Word, it's got indents in front of the paragraphs. When I open it in the Kobo mini, it doesn't. I'll switch to space between the paragraphs, which it does recognize.

And there's some level of metadata; I can set a title and author in Word. The Kobo Mini also doesn't seem to recognize the meta features for title and author of HTML files; it shows them by filename with no known author.
The keyword in what I wrote was usable metadata. What I found a few years back when playing forensic computer technician was that if I created a file in MS Word, saved it using the .doc format, opened the .doc file and re-saved it as a .rtf file, it contained the usual Microsoft metadata. If I created the file and saved it directly to RTF, the file did not contain any metadata that I could see (using Notepad++ to look at the raw RTF file. I also found that opening the file with Wordpad seemed to wipe all the metadata when I saved the file. Later versions of Word treat RTF more like .doc and save metadata even in a direct save to RTF which might be why Word generated RTF files tend to grow like weeds.

There is a Mobileread wiki on RTF which has some more information on the topic. Check https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/RTF for more information.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote