Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sony vows to win e-reader war.

Sony pushes content deals to win e-reader race - Financial Times http://tinyurl.com/ycoa95l

Sibel

For reviews and purchases of my latest novels: http://stores.lulu.com/sibelhodge
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sibelhodge
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
I'm struck by this:

"Even after "a watershed year for e-readers", the devices were not yet major profit contributors, he said, but falling prices would soon make e-readers more viable in developing markets and school rooms"

Falling prices sounds nice
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelhodge View Post
Sony pushes content deals to win e-reader race - Financial Times http://tinyurl.com/ycoa95l

Sibel

For reviews and purchases of my latest novels: http://stores.lulu.com/sibelhodge
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sibelhodge
Sony?!? The company who's spokesperson has admitted he sees nothing wrong with charging $100 for *ebooks*!?! Yeah. Right. Not gonna happen.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Just like Beta... and Mini Discs... and Memory Sticks... and UMD games... like UMD movies...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Blu-Ray
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray excellent exception.
Unfortunately Kindle gets headlines, Sony Reader does not.
Silly newspapers.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Sony yesterday vowed to win the e-reader device wars by offering content owners a better deal than Amazon's Kindle.
Then they'll be fixing the ePub display features soon? And work with Adobe to let ADE read both ePub and PDF library books on the same device? And they'll be offering support for eReader and HTML files?

They do indeed make terrific hardware, but I'm still wavering about switching to a Pocket Pro. My main reason for not doing so is that my Sony was a gift from my husband.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Just like Beta... and Mini Discs... and Memory Sticks... and UMD games... like UMD movies...
Beta, Mini Discs, and Memory Sticks were all widely used for multiple years. The myth that they were all failures is just that-- a myth.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Beta, Mini Discs, and Memory Sticks were all widely used for multiple years. The myth that they were all failures is just that-- a myth.
Are there devices, not made by Sony, that use any of those formats?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Then they'll be fixing the ePub display features soon? And work with Adobe to let ADE read both ePub and PDF library books on the same device? And they'll be offering support for eReader and HTML files?

They do indeed make terrific hardware, but I'm still wavering about switching to a Pocket Pro. My main reason for not doing so is that my Sony was a gift from my husband.
The nice thing is that you don't have to switch. I use both and both are authenticated with Adobe. The Pocket Pro is easier to slip in a pocket and I can read all the Sony ePub books on it plus DRMless Mobipocket and PDF (with or without DRM). They make a nice complement to each other and the ergonomics of the Pocket Pro are great.

Something to think about.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Sony won Blu-ray by spending the better part of one billion dollars on a last minute deal hours ahead of CES 2008. It already had so much at stake with PS3: a gaming platform, a trojan horse into the TV entertainment hub, a vertical distribution for Columbia pictures and TV content.

With e-readers, there is much, much less on the table. Come now: buying books at Sony Style stores? or Amazon? or Barnes and Noble? Sony may have an edge on the device: they are a CE king. But they have much less clout on printed content. At some point, Amazon needs to address a "common platform" where it participates or even leads ... but it can continue to make a pitch for what it does really well in the meantime -- be a great source of books people want to read today, delivered economically and reliably as Amazon has for a decade in physical delivery.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Indiana Jones
Indiana Jones began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Go Sony !
Indiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
The nice thing is that you don't have to switch. I use both and both are authenticated with Adobe. The Pocket Pro is easier to slip in a pocket and I can read all the Sony ePub books on it plus DRMless Mobipocket and PDF (with or without DRM). They make a nice complement to each other and the ergonomics of the Pocket Pro are great.
I wouldn't have to switch... except that right now, the only way I could afford a Pocket Pro would be to sell the Sony. (Which I don't have authenticated with Adobe. Decided I'm not buying DRM'd anything, and for the occasional DRM'd freebie, the hassle of installation and registration is just too much to deal with on dialup.)

I can't justify $250 for an ebook reader just to get access to a couple of non-DRM'd filetypes. (And smaller screen, sigh. I'd like a smaller screen.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Are there devices, not made by Sony, that use any of those formats?
Yes. I have (somewhere) a Panasonic minidisk player. All sorts of different companies made those. It was an excellent recording format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Of course, right now Amazon is giving publishers a concrete reason to make exclusive deals with a rival, which makes Sony's job a lot easier.

Unfortunately, the lack of wireless and the relative difficulty of purchasing books for the technically incompetent is going to hurt Sony in the mass market.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote