Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Unhappy Txt to lrf: how to separate paragraphs, esp speech?

When I try to use calibre to convert a txt document to lrf, I lose the paragraphing, especially that which occurs when a different character begins speaking.

For example:

"Nice day today," said Fred.
"I suppose it is," George replied absent-mindedly.

becomes:

"Nice day today," said Fred. "I suppose it is," George replied absent-mindedly.

This is so ANNOYING.
Even the standard paragraphing is lost.
I've tried ticking the "insert lines between paragraphs" box, but this makes no difference. Can anyone help in non-tech language please; I'm fairly new to Calibre.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You need to have a blank line to create a new paragraph. See markdown syntax for more details.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Gwyn, but can't this be done using Calibre; I don't really want to download yet another program.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, the point is that Calibre treats any .txt as if it's in Markdown format, and the link I gave explained the syntax it's expecting, not anything to download. If you want to have your text as you want, you'll need the input to be:
Code:
"Nice day today," said Fred.

"I suppose it is," George replied absent-mindedly.
It does make it easy to add chapters though (just put a "## " before the chapter text, e.g. "## Chapter 1"
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Thanks Gwyn, I'll have a go using that. I recently devised a Word template which I've been pasting my old txt books into. It seems to work for most documents, except, oddly, "A Little Princess" which Calibre made a real hash of converting.
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could load the text into Word, format it as you want, save it as HTML and convert it using html2lrf.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Thanks. I'll try this if I can't find a version already formatted in lrf.

Tags
paragraphing