Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Thumbs up Asus NEXUS 7 ACCIDENTAL EARLY release in the UK-My 1st hand report

Today at 7am UK standard time on the 13th July i was woken up by a ring at the the door and to my surprise i was greeted by a PARCEL FORCE delivery man carrying a small package for yours truly.

Frankly i was a little puzzled to what it was as i had pre-ordered a NEXUS 7 16GB only a week ago from EBUYER.COM and was not expecting it to arrive until after the official release date of july 19th in the UK.

After a second or two i realized with happiness i had received this wonderful tablet almost a week ahead of the rest of the world.

I have been testing it out over the last 6 hours and have enjoyed every minute of it as the nexus 7 does perform as advertised

Google maps seems renders faster on the nexus 7 than my quad core PC with 5gb of RAM which is directly connected to my my broadband router

Internet browsing is very fast and smooth and the only slowdown is caused by my slow broadband connection.

My nexus arrived with about 35% battery charged and is now recharging via the 3 pin UK socket while i write this post.When i connected the NEXUS up to my PC with windows 7 it recognized it and installed the driver almost instantly and showed that the storage as 13GB usable space.

For £200 including free shipping and £15 worth of google play credits + free extras like the latest transformers movie and other goodies as well as the overall high performance you are on to a real winner if you buy one.

Ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/388913-asus-ne...0ok0mi1100550u

Nexus 7 early release in the UK

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...atures-1051918

EBUYER.COM for Mailing my NEXUS 7 before the the rest of the world and getting it to me before my birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	89089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9951.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	89090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9942.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	89091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	89093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	89094  

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Ha! Congrats! The only Friday 13 that really stands out in my mind was a pretty good day for me. It was a May Friday 13, so it was the end of Spring semester. I found out that I had finished losing the "Freshman 15," I found out I made an "A" on a final, and the weather was particularly glorious (not as hot as it can be in Louisiana in May).
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
1. I'm rather jealous of you.
2. How does it feel in your hands? The back of the Nexus looks like it'd feel nice and anti-slip (kinda like the Toshiba Thrive's textured back side).
3. I can't help but get a chuckle at the description of "parcel force delivery man." It conjures up the image of a chiseled-chin superhero delivering packages like no mere mortal can.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
1. I'm rather jealous of you.
2. How does it feel in your hands? The back of the Nexus looks like it'd feel nice and anti-slip (kinda like the Toshiba Thrive's textured back side).
3. I can't help but get a chuckle at the description of "parcel force delivery man." It conjures up the image of a chiseled-chin superhero delivering packages like no mere mortal can.
It's has a kind of leathery plastic feel to it if that makes sense and yes it does not slip in your hands and is very light and easy to hold in one hand

It feels and looks nicer than my dead kiddle keyboard and is only slightly heaver
This tablet butchers the kindle fire in pretty much every way.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Congrats on your early birthday present!

Quote:
Me too. I mean, I already love a man in uniform that brings me stuff (it's the only time brown looks good), but a super-hero version would be my dream come true.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Congrats! Keep posting your thoughts and impressions so the rest of us can live vicariously through you.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
darksaber35
Banned

The only problem i have had today with it is the damned GOOGLE PLAY movie player as it wont rotate into land scape mode so your stuck with a small movie in the centre of the screen.

I tried all the setting i could find but it still wont rotate MAYBE it's because they where side loaded ?? i put on 4 dvd rips.

You tube and games both go into land scape mode without a hitch.i will try downloading some more movie players.I already tried VLC for android but it throws up message saying its a unstable beta and wont play films.

The audio player is very basic with no graphic equalizer so you will want to get a good one like poweramp.

I also tried another but that did not seem to work also.I will try downloading meridian once my 850mg game DARK MEADOW-THE PACT has finished downloading.
What's the best android movie player ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rkMeadow&hl=en

UPDATE i installed meriian media player and it plays movies fine in landscape mode , they look so good.
The speaker is a bit weak but it's not too bad.probably a bit better level of your average mobile phone.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
"ParcelForce" is the name of the part of the Post Office which delivers parcels, as opposed to letters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
What's the best android movie player ?
The "Video Player" app that I got pre-installed on my Galaxy Tab 2 works extremely well, and supports landscape mode just fine. I don't know if that's a standard Google app or a Samsung one.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I have the Netflix App on my Acer Iconiatab. It works fine and does landscape. I don't know about sideloading as I've never done that.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I think the google play bug might be specific to the Nexus 7. My Nexus S with ICS plays in landscape via Google Play Movies just fine.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"ParcelForce" is the name of the part of the Post Office which delivers parcels, as opposed to letters.
Oh, I know.

But, it's not something I'm used to seeing/reading, hence why it conjured up that imagery in my head.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I recommend Rockplayer for video if you use lots of formats.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I think the google play bug might be specific to the Nexus 7. My Nexus S with ICS plays in landscape via Google Play Movies just fine.
Is there perhaps an "orientation lock" on it which the OP could have accidentally activated? The "Video Player" app that I use has one.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
darksaber35
Banned

GAMING DAY
Nexus day 1+ of the nexus landing i decided to to stretch it's power to the limit and take leaf of of the pc hardware reviewers and use some challenging 3D graphics games to see what this puppy can do.

So i tested - GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 ,MAX PAYNE MOBILE , HAWX , SHADOWGUN , DEAD SPACE , SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 , DARK MEADOW-THE PACT.

Only grand theft auto 3 slow's a tiny bit here and there.

ALL these games ran with out a hitch and where as smooth and tasty as a bar of galaxy chocolate.I never saw any drops in frame rate or artefacts and and i maxed out the graphics if the game settings allowed it.

There's no IF ,BUTS OR MAYBE -the NEXUS 7 is the BEST Android tablet FOR gaming at this PRICE you can get your hands on rite now

APPS that so far don't work properly are - VLC media beta for Android .

Current video file types it wont play are AVI files but hopefully i will find a video player but i have already so far tried 4 media players without success.
Moboplayer ,REALplayer lite , Viyalplayer and ARCMEDIA are supposed to play avi video flies without a problem on other android tablets but they wont play them on the NEXUS.

ITV player works fine now i found the screen rotate option HIDDEN anyway the accessibility OPTIONS menu.

http://youtu.be/kUOAoILvEQg

A video i made but my camera is very poor at filming the IPS screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-07-18-19-42-35[1]-png.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	89343  

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.