Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here is my communication with Amazon and their reply.

I wrote:
Quote:
This is just a question, I am not having any problems with my Kindle.

There is a conversation happening on a message board I'm a member of. There seems to be a belief that once a Kindle is out of the 1 year warranty period, no repairs will be made, even if paid for by the Kindle owner. Is this true?
Amazon says:
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing us to inquire about how the Amazon Kindle would be serviced after the one-year warranty period is over.

As you know, your Kindle is covered by a limited one-year parts and labor warranty. If you experience a performance issue with the device after the one-year warranty is over, please contact us for hardware support by calling one of the numbers below:

Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851
Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

If we determine that your device needs service, we'll provide you with further information about getting your Kindle repaired.

Information about the warranty for your Kindle can be found in the paper insert that came with your Kindle, the Kindle User's Guide, or on our Help pages at this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience.

Thank you for choosing Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 AM   #32
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
My PRS-505 experienced death by Airborne, the herbal remedy "Invented by a school teacher". I spilled a glass of it on the 505 and while the unit survived the battery's chemistry was neutralized (most likely by the calcium carbonate from the drink) and now it no longer holds a charge.

Since the battery isn't user replaceable I've put it in the museum next to my Libre (which suffers from a broken battery compartment) and my iLiad (which suffers from incredibly poor design and corporate ethics).

The Kindle has a user replaceable battery so you can self repair it from this kind of damage.

I recently bought a Segway and my Kindle pulled the scare the owner into thinking its dead trick. Which was doubly convincing for me since I figured I'd killed it riding the rough sidewalks around here. What I add to the otherwise complete Kindle recovery advice given above is: make sure the unit is charged.

The 505 and Kindle both appear dead as a door nail with no gas in the tank.

By the way, the Segway was indeed the culprit. Seems the Kindle's battery can be quickly run flat by pressing the buttons, when its in alt-aA mode. I now keep my Kindle switched off in the Segway's handle bar bag's zipped net pouch and all has been fine since.

And for those with "buttery fingers" I've found its generally harder to drop the Kindle or knock it off tables because of that big pad of high friction rubber on the back.

If you had visions of it landing rubber side down for a softer landing? I can report from personal experience that Murphy, or physics, seem to dictate a screen side down landing. I've had it fall twice from 36" onto a hard tiled concrete floor and pull through both times. And as I mentioned, it rides everywhere on my Segway, which is a hard ride at times.

If the rumors are true about who builds the Kindle for Amazon... Lenovo/IBM... that firm has near legendary status for building durable hard to kill portable equipment.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
By the way, the Segway was indeed the culprit. Seems the Kindle's battery can be quickly run flat by pressing the buttons, when its in alt-aA mode. I now keep my Kindle switched off in the Segway's handle bar bag's zipped net pouch and all has been fine since.
Are you riding around without a cover for your Kindle (the original or other cover)? I think that would help protect from accidental button pushes.

I'm jealous over your Segway. There's a Segway store near me but I can justify buying one even though they are fun to ride.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #34
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I am guessing that the kindle 2 will still be more fragile than sony readers but I dont really want to test.
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #35
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'll just say that I dropped my Sony Reader 505 on asphalt, and it survived with a chip on the corner. But it probably helped that it fell on a corner.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #36
Tempvs
Enthusiast
Tempvs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle Touch, Nook HD+

I'm think the hook to attach a strap in the 505 is a good idea but Kindle2 haven't got it. and it's very easy drop it because their texture is very soft.
Tempvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #37
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've had both. One of the reasons I returned the Kindle was because it seemed more fragile to me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #38
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Sony should be more durable, for sure.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
For those interested, here is the mentioned drop test video:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m29AN24ZT4S6UX
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Lol that was pain to watch! My Sony505 looks and feels more sturdy, but the Kindle may be more flexible for impact pulse.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #41
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I agree, with the Kindle button placement making it more likely to get bumped and easily damaged. I've only briefly handled the sony but it does seem more chunky and strong.
But in the end it comes down to how you look after things, the biggest enemy to these devices BY FAR is water, and that's far more likely to kill one (like my poor ipod touch RIP).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote