Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #61
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
What's "ACM"?
A meant the recovery mode

Quote:
Either via ADB (adb shell), or at the Terminal by typing "su". Some apps (i.e. Root Explorer) request "superuser privileges" from the system, and you can agree to provide those to them.
I tried via terminal, but i get a segmentation fault.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #62
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
A meant the recovery mode
You can log into the USB-Serial port and poke around. You better know what you are doing though.
To switch to recovery mode you can use "ebook_msc name "PRS-T1" um recovery"

Quote:
I tried via terminal, but i get a segmentation fault.
What happens when you run the SuperUser app?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #63
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can log into the USB-Serial port and poke around. You better know what you are doing though.
To switch to recovery mode you can use "ebook_msc name "PRS-T1" um recovery"
Yes, it's just it case I screw up and *need* the revovery.

Quote:
What happens when you run the SuperUser app?
App start, but no "app have asked for root privilege" message. And noting in the lists.
Edit : i connected via adb, there , i'm root...

re-edit :
still no luck with installing mantano. There is obviously something very wrong with app2Sd / asec folder. Can anyone confirm ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-25-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #64
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
A few questions, for anyone who may wish to answer:

How do you add a bookmark in Coolreader? Does Coolreader have a user guide?

When you hit the Home button, you get the choice between AWGLauncher and Home, with the checkbox "Use by default for this action." If I check the box, is there a way to undo this? I recall reading a warning about this, translated from Russian, which I didn't understand.

Where do you get Android apps, and how do you install them?

Which apps are known to work, so far?

Last edited by darseno; 10-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #65
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
A few questions, for anyone who may wish to answer:

How do you add a bookmark in Coolreader? Does Coolreader have a user guide?

When you hit the Home button, you get the choice between AWGLauncher and Home, with the checkbox "Use by default for this action." If I check the box, is there a way to undo this? I recall reading a warning about this, translated from Russian, which I didn't understand.

Where do you get Android apps, and how do you install them?

Which apps are known to work, so far?
If you click the default checkbox, and get stuck on the Sony home screen, you'll probably have to restore the original firmware and then install the hacked firmware again.

I get apps from Amazon. Most don't work. Here are some that I've tried:http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...nd-more-video/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #66
darseno
Connoisseur
darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!darseno rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's a nice post, thanks. You bloggers save people like me a lot of trouble.

Unfortunately, the Amazon appstore is only available in the US. Any ideas for the 5 billion of us who don't live in the US?

Last edited by darseno; 10-25-2011 at 07:57 PM.
darseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #67
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
still no luck with installing mantano. There is obviously something very wrong with app2Sd / asec folder. Can anyone confirm ?
Yes, I can confirm there is a problem with asec folder. Actually, there is not asec folder on the reader. I created /mnt/asec, /mnt/secure/asec, /sdcard/.android-secure - none seemed to help. Someone needs to decompile the DefaultContainerService.apk/odex to figure out where it is trying to create the "secure container", and why it may be failing.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #68
porkupan
Fanatic

Well, that's true that many apps cannot be "installed" via normal install procedure due to a failure to create a secure container (logged error). However, some of those apps can still be installed via direct copy to /data/app. The only problem is, when the file is simply copied to /data/app, the proper install procedure is not carried out, so the native libraries, which may be needed for the app to operate, are not unpacked and placed in their correct locations.

There are a couple of tricks to installing such library-dependent apps. One may extract the library from the APK, and copy it into the /data/data/<app-name>/lib folder. That's not too difficult. Or one may install one version of the app, then remove it, and put another version into /data/app. Android is pretty smart to notice the upgrade (or downgrade), and follows the correct upgrade procedure.

For instance, if installing eBook Droid (the DJVU reader), we can do
Quote:
adb push ebookdroid_old.apk /data/app
adb shell rm -f ebook_/data/app/ebookdroid_old.apk
adb push ebookdroid_new.apk /data/app
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #69
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm there is a problem with asec folder. Actually, there is not asec folder on the reader. I created /mnt/asec, /mnt/secure/asec, /sdcard/.android-secure - none seemed to help. Someone needs to decompile the DefaultContainerService.apk/odex to figure out where it is trying to create the "secure container", and why it may be failing.
Yes, i tried that too; Hence the "need root", and indeed, no luck.
And after restarting the reader, the folders are just gone. Quite a few rom had trouble with that, and the nook as well. Might be worth looking their way.

Getting the apk from phone now seams like a good plan.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #70
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
@porkupan

Thank for your hard work, I understand the space limitations for installing applications.
To fully use sony prs-t1 as reader I suggest to add to the minimal set of application, if it is possible:
1) a good file explorer, I suggest ES File Explorer (so I can find books using folder and not collections).
2) an application for sharing files with your reader using wifi (local network or using https or something other connection), without connecting to pc.
Maybe File Expert could be used both as file explore and for sharing files, but other better solutions could exist.
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #71
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
I wonder if anyone of you have tried to install the "Kindle" Apps... i installed it and it never recognise any of my books (.mobi)... no matter where I put them.... Would love to have some help, thanks a million
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #72
staylo
staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: PRS-350
Has anyone found any references about calls to the Freescale EPD controller in the released code for the PRS-T1? This was reverse-engineered for the Nook Simple Touch, but I think that used an Epson controller so the code is not portable to the T1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1183173
staylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #73
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylo View Post
Has anyone found any references about calls to the Freescale EPD controller in the released code for the PRS-T1? This was reverse-engineered for the Nook Simple Touch, but I think that used an Epson controller so the code is not portable to the T1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1183173
NST uses the same built in FreeScale controller. However, the EPD driver is different. The "quick update" is implemented differently in the sony reader, and is not directly portable from nook.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #74
staylo
staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
NST uses the same built in FreeScale controller. However, the EPD driver is different. The "quick update" is implemented differently in the sony reader, and is not directly portable from nook.
Interesting. Have any other modes been demonstrated? I'm especially interested in the 1-bit 'animation' A2 mode for fast screen updates (but lousy quality).
staylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #75
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewandeep View Post
@porkupan
To fully use sony prs-t1 as reader I suggest to add to the minimal set of application, if it is possible:
1) a good file explorer, I suggest ES File Explorer (so I can find books using folder and not collections).
Yes! I was rather disappointed that the T1 completely flattens my well-constructed file hierarchy. It just dumps all books in one big pile! You can't find them properly that way.
Another thing would be a HTML reader, but I presume that comes more or less included with the Android stuff. Strange, that as-shipped the T1 doesn't recognise books in HTML, even though epubs are HTML too.
My previous reader (an Ambiance Digibook MDB-106) had some buggy software and bad quality control of the hardware, but it did those two things by default.

I have a question about the installation procedure. I don't use MSWindows, but the flash_reader.bat file runs a windows exe file "ebook_msc.exe name PRS-T1 um recovery". What does that do? Is there an equivalent for Unix (say, NetBSD or Ubuntu)?

For the rest, it just copies some files over so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I don't know anything about Android (yet), so when I do this I'll have lots of stuff to play with and detract me from reading :-)
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony