Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #181
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
showing system folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's in the "system" folder, which is hidden by default. In Windows, you can either change your folder preferences in Explorer to show hidden folders ("Organize" button in Vista>Folder and Search Options>View tab), or you can open the Kindle "drive" in Explorer, go up to the address bar, and simply add system\. For example, my Kindle is f:\. In Vista (and I guess Win7) it looks like you can't type in there but you can - just click in empty space in the Explorer address bar and it will change from "buttons" to a field you can type in. Screenshots attached.
thanks for this tip - much faster on win7 than finding the show hidden files/folders, changing settings...

Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #182
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
thanks for this tip - much faster on win7 than finding the show hidden files/folders, changing settings...

You're welcome. It's one of those accidental discoveries that turned into an oft-used shortcut.
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #183
Jsee
Jsee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem with plugin.
The plugin task bar icon disappears when I connect my kindle and calibre recognizes it.
I’m really a newbie. Brand new kindle, latest calibre version (0.7.45) . I downloaded he zip file and carefully followed the installation instructions for the plugin. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #184
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsee View Post
Problem with plugin. The plugin task bar icon disappears when I connect my kindle and calibre recognizes it. ~~ Any ideas?
Preferences - customize the toolbar - drop down arrow top right will give you various menus you can customize.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #185
SingleEyePhotos
SingleEyePhotos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm having the same problem as another user - I can't find my 'system' folder or the 'collections.json' file anywhere. I've enabled viewing of system folders and hidden files. I tried the tip you provided the other user (which worked for her) to create a 'dummy' collection to force creation of the .json file, but to no avail. I have collections set up on my Kindle, and have been using them all along. I've got the 1st version (US) Kindle DX. I've run several searches for 'system' or 'collection*" or even "*.json", and no results are returned. Any suggestion on how to find and copy my collection data before I try this plugin?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #186
BeeMn
BeeMn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleEyePhotos View Post
I'm having the same problem as another user - I can't find my 'system' folder or the 'collections.json' file anywhere. I've enabled viewing of system folders and hidden files. I tried the tip you provided the other user (which worked for her) to create a 'dummy' collection to force creation of the .json file, but to no avail. I have collections set up on my Kindle, and have been using them all along. I've got the 1st version (US) Kindle DX. I've run several searches for 'system' or 'collection*" or even "*.json", and no results are returned. Any suggestion on how to find and copy my collection data before I try this plugin?

Thanks!
On my Win7, I also needed to unhide hidden operating system files
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #187
MiraSlunicko
MiraSlunicko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question No Create collection icon in the Customize toolbar

I installed the plugin and Calibre reported successful installation.
Then I restarted Calibre and tried to add the plugin icon to the toolbar but there isn't any. After selecting "The main toolbar when a device is connected", I can see only
- Add books to library
- Manage collections (no icon)
- Donate
- Fetch annotations
- Restart
- Similar books

but no Create Kindle Collections item

I've tried to add Manage collections to the toolbar but clicking on it generates an error so I suppose it is not the right one.

What am I doing wrong ?

WinXP sp3, Calibre 7.45, Plugin 1.3.3

Thanks
Mira
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #188
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleEyePhotos View Post

Thanks!
If you have collections on your Kindle you do not need to create a 'dummy' collection.

See this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=172 for a great tip from CWatkinsNash on how to see the 'system' folder, complete with pictures. I think I'll add this to my notes

Connect your Kindle. Go to Start -> My Computer. You should see an entry for your Kindle (like E. Open/click/double click on that drive/location. You may see documents/music/audible directories but you want the one called 'system'. If you don't see it, click the address box at the top of the window to edit it and change it, for example, from "E:" or "Computer -> Kindle (E", to E:\system, then hit Return
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #189
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraSlunicko View Post
Then I restarted Calibre and tried to add the plugin icon to the toolbar but there isn't any.
Are you sure you restarted calibre? You didn't just hit the close button and have it close to the system tray? Hitting ctrl r will restart calibre if you weren't sure.

You should see Create Kindle Collections w/icon as an option to add to the toolbar or menus. If you go to Preferences - plugins do you see the plugin you added under user interface action plugins (see attached).

If everything seems fine try rebooting your computer.

If still messed up remove the plugin, re-download the plugin to a new area, restart calibre, add the newly downloaded plugin and try again.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GUI_plugins.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	66763  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #190
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I installed the plugin and Calibre reported successful installation.
Then I restarted Calibre and tried to add the plugin icon to the toolbar but there isn't any.
Does the Create Kindle Collections icon show up on the list to the left when you have it set to 'The main toolbar without device connected'?

If you go to Preferences -> Plugins -> User Interface Action plugins, do you see Create Kindle Collections 1.3.3 listed? You should be able to double click it or select Customize plugin to run Customize - except due to a bug this won't work until I release the next version. But at least it tells you if it runs.

You can remove/add the plugin to check again.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #191
MiraSlunicko

Yes, I restarted Calibre by Ctrl-R and yes, I tried to reload and reinstall the plugin.

If I double-click on the Create Kindle Collections(1.3.3) item in the Preferences-Plugins I get the error message ZipImportError: not a Zip file.

The first time I installed the plugin with the Kindle connected, so I detached it and reinstalled the plugin but with the same result.

After lunch I'll try to restart Windows and let you know

Mira
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #192
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Yes, I restarted Calibre by Ctrl-R and yes, I tried to reload and reinstall the plugin.

If I double-click on the Create Kindle Collections(1.3.3) item in the Preferences-Plugins I get the error message ZipImportError: not a Zip file.

The first time I installed the plugin with the Kindle connected, so I detached it and reinstalled the plugin but with the same result.

After lunch I'll try to restart Windows and let you know

Mira
Start calibre in debug mode using "calibre-debug -g". Take a look at the output as Calibre starts - if there are errors in loading the kindle collection plugin that would explain why it does not appear elsewhere for you to add to the toolbars. Redownloading the plugin and installing it again should hopefully resolve that depending on the errors you see at startup.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #193
meme
Sigil developer

Also - are you sure you are not unzipping the plugin first? Do not unzip the plugin file you download - just add it to Calibre.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #194
MiraSlunicko

I've uninstalled the plugin and deleted it from the disk, downloaded it again, installed it and still the same result.

Starting in debug mode gives :

D:\Src\Ebooks\@Calibre\@Kindle Collection Plugin>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 107, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 122, in init_iaction
File "<string>", line 88, in load_actual_plugin
File "<string>", line 68, in get_base_module
ZipImportError: not a Zip file
Started up in 0.890999794006

... and double-click on the preferences-plugins / Create Kindle collections gives:

calibre, version 0.7.45
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ZipImportError</b>:not a Zip file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 257, in double_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 319, in modify_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 237, in is_customizable
File "<string>", line 85, in customization_help
File "<string>", line 74, in get_base_plugin
File "<string>", line 68, in get_base_module
ZipImportError: not a Zip file

I've tried to copy the plugin to the Calibre/plugins directory, still the same result.

I am installing the plugin directly after downloading without unpacking it.

Mira
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #195
Jsee
Jsee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Preferences - customize the toolbar - drop down arrow top right will give you various menus you can customize.
Thanks worked like a charm!
Now I can use the tool and experiment!
Closed Thread