Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
dsc3507
dsc3507 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
download and convert

Is there a way in the graphical environment to schedule a download and convert it to another format after download automatically?

For instance downloading a newspaper in epub daily and converting it to mobi for reading on a kindle via local download from Calibre.

Maybe I missed something but it would be really nice if the scheduler had an option to do this.
dsc3507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc3507 View Post
For instance downloading a newspaper in epub daily and converting it to mobi for reading on a kindle via local download from Calibre.
You can schedule downloads of many newspapers by using the recipes. Why download the newspaper in epub? You have a Kindle so you might want to change your preferred output format to Mobi (Preferences - Behavior). Changing this to Mobi will download the book in the Mobi format and allow navigation of the news via the joystick and go to toc.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think he is talking about downloading the ePub version of a newspaper as directly offered by the paper. I know that e.g. Die Zeit, a large german paper, does this.

However, i'm afraid dwanthny is right on his other points: Apart from recipes, there is no easy way to schedule a download. You may, however, have some luck if you combine Calibre's CLI tools with your OSes scheduling tool (cron jobs for Linux, task scheduler for Windows, I'm sure OSX has something similar to offer).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
dsc3507

I guess I was not really clear on what I said originally. By download I mean connecting to the Calibre web server locally with the Kindle and downloading the newspaper or document for reading.

If you download via USB it will do the conversion for you as selected for your device. What I want to be able to do is do that conversion as the files are downloaded from the source as part of the scheduled download process. It would be nice to have an option in the scheduler to run the conversion process upon download. Then I can access the files with the kindle without having to manually convert them back at the server.

I suspect there is a recipe way to do this. Does anyone have an example?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't. I would suggest you use two calibre installs and set the output format of one of them to MOBI
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
dsc3507

Two installs... can you explain a little more how that would work? The process of a scheduled download, auto convert, and then later download to a reader.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
basically, put calibre on two computers
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
dsc3507

Ok that is logical but how does putting it on two computers make what I want to do work when it will not work on one?

You do understand what I want to do? Or maybe I don't understand a capability that Calibre has..

1. I want to schedule daily downloads of newspapers or other publications. These are epubs.

2. I want to auto convert to mobi (so it can be read on kindle)

3. I want to be able to pick up the file via the web server.

I realize that connecting USB eliminates this problem but it is not always convenient to be at the computer.

Just explain how I can do that with one or as you say two computers. Preferably one.

Since Calibre has the capability to do download and conversion separately could these functions be combined in a future release?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
squawker
squawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-bookssquawker has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-500
Two calibre installs on one computer

is there a way to have two calibre installs on one computer without running a virtual machine?
squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1. I want to schedule daily downloads of newspapers or other publications. These are epubs.
Why are they ePubs?

Are these scheduled downloads via the fetch news feature? If they are via the fetch news feature and you want to use them on the Kindle you should not be fetching them as ePubs. Go to preferences - behavior and change the Preferred output format to Mobi.

Quote:
2. I want to auto convert to mobi (so it can be read on kindle)
Again - Go to preferences - behavior and change the Preferred output format to Mobi. Converting fetched news from ePub to Mobi loses some of the features inherent in fetching the news as a Mobi file directly.

Quote:
Just explain how I can do that with one or as you say two computers. Preferably one.
Since even in your clarification you were sufficiently confusing and given that you ignored my previous obvious solution, Kovid may have concluded that you needed to convert from epub to mobi because you had a need for the news to be downloaded in both formats, thus the two machine solution.

Quote:
Since Calibre has the capability to do download and conversion separately could these functions be combined in a future release?
No, connecting to the web server will not be able to trigger a conversion. Convert all books ahead of time and fetch the news in the correct format to begin with.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
dsc3507

Sorry I guess I did not read and understand your original post. That was the answer I was looking for. Works fine. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am new to this and I was not aware that the news servers had multiple format capability.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Sorry I guess I did not read and understand your original post.
I'm never as clear in writing as I think I am.

Even though we stumble in answering, please continue asking any questions you might have.

Tags
convert, download, schedule