Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #61
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I've read that there is a lot of rain in Seattle. Your pictures remember me of Michigan Upper Peninsula, where I lived 4 years as student, but maybe the winter is harsher in the UP.

The only benefit of the desert is that we have a blue sky almost all year, and that I only use a jacket in maybe 1 or 2 months in the year.

Hermosillo (the state capital)

At day

At night

The cathedral
I love Hermosillo, it is one of my favorite cities in Mexico
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Seattle doesn't get a lot of rain, but a lot of drizzle. Their rainfall is less than NY or Boston and about half what we get in Florida. The ironic part is that Seattle is known as the rainy city and FL is known as the Sunshine State. Oddly, I'd say both are true.
Ain't that the truth. Drizzle, drizzle everywhere. Although, less than 100 miles to the west are some temperate rainforests with up to 170 inches of annual rainfall. Wet, wet, wet.

Hoh Rain Forest

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I've read that there is a lot of rain in Seattle. Your pictures remember me of Michigan Upper Peninsula, where I lived 4 years as student, but maybe the winter is harsher in the UP.
Winters here are wet and fairly mild. It snows a few times a year and lasts just a few days.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #64
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Winters here are wet and fairly mild. It snows a few times a year and lasts just a few days.
at sea level. above 4000 feet it is snow, but nowhere near as cold as Michigan
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #65
yochillum
yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Well, I live in north central Illinois. We have all four seasons with a vengeance (that's the snow picture).
Recently, our downtown development commission cleared out and built the Riverfront Plaza between the two main bridges across the Rock River. Since this is Ronald Reagan's hometown, there's a big statue of him.
I'm just shouting distance from Phenomshel. The hometown of Richard Pryor, Sam Kinnison, and I suppose some other people too.

yochillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #66
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Seattle doesn't get a lot of rain, but a lot of drizzle. Their rainfall is less than NY or Boston and about half what we get in Florida. The ironic part is that Seattle is known as the rainy city and FL is known as the Sunshine State. Oddly, I'd say both are true.
Ok, I stand corrected. Maybe Florida has more clear sky days than Seattle. I have been in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area and the weather is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I love Hermosillo, it is one of my favorite cities in Mexico
Really? There are not many American tourists here. Most of them just cross the city down to San Carlos, a beach town where many "snow birds" live in Winter.

Quote:
I thought Seattle weather was colder

More about Sonora

La Angostura [The Narrowness] Dam in the upper Sonora River

View of Isla Tiburón [Shark Island] in the Gulf of California

Valley of the Yaqui River

The desert joins the sea in the northwest
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #67
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
I have been in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area and the weather is gorgeous.
You know what they always say when you're in FL, "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes." There have been many a time when it's gloriously sunny before I walk into a store, and by the time I left the ground is completely soaked, but the sun is out, the sky is blue and if it weren't for the wet ground, you would never know that it was pouring rain a moment ago. That way it does that still fascinates me.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #68
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
You know what they always say when you're in FL, "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes."
Yep. That's true in other places like Mexico City. You can have the four seasons of the year in one day

This is Yécora, a place high in the Western Sierra Madre.

Winter

Summer
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #69
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Wow, that snow scene is beautiful. Makes me want to walk through it. I can hear the snow crunching under my feet and taste that clean fresh after snow air.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #70
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Did someone request beaches?

Here are a few of our local favorites... when we have time, that is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beach.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	64276   Click image for larger version

Name:	habeach.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	64277   Click image for larger version

Name:	kubeach.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	64278   Click image for larger version

Name:	spbeachpark.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	64279  
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #71
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Drizzle, drizzle everywhere. Although, less than 100 miles to the west are some temperate rainforests with up to 170 inches of annual rainfall. Wet, wet, wet.
I thought the bluest skies you've ever seen were in Seattle.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
But when I see all these beautiful photo's of the United States; I immediately want to go there again. We cruised through the US twice for four weeks; about 10 years ago. We loved it.
The same here... Those pictures make my surrounding area boring! And I'd go to the US again, in a flash, if they hadn't instituted the rule that you're guilty of terrorism unless you can prove you're innocent...

Quote:
Beautiful country. I used to live in El Paso. I love the desert.
When I lived in the US, I learned to appreciate the desert too. The starkness of the lanscape, magnificent!
It also made me appreciate the rain we get here. Whenever people complain about the rain, I think, without it, it wouldn't be so green and lush...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #73
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochillum View Post
I'm just shouting distance from Phenomshel. The hometown of Richard Pryor, Sam Kinnison, and I suppose some other people too.

Yo, neighbor!! LOL
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #74
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Ok, I stand corrected. Maybe Florida has more clear sky days than Seattle. I have been in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area and the weather is gorgeous.

Really? There are not many American tourists here. Most of them just cross the city down to San Carlos, a beach town where many "snow birds" live in Winter.

I thought Seattle weather was colder
when I was growing up we spent a fair amount of time in Hermosillo, I really fell in love with it. unfortunately lately I mostly have had to race through it. I spent most of August and September in Alamos... not even a little bit of fun. I was SO miserable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I thought the bluest skies you've ever seen were in Seattle.
actually spring and summer are one of our best kept secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The same here... Those pictures make my surrounding area boring! And I'd go to the US again, in a flash, if they hadn't instituted the rule that you're guilty of terrorism unless you can prove you're innocent...

When I lived in the US, I learned to appreciate the desert too. The starkness of the lanscape, magnificent!
It also made me appreciate the rain we get here. Whenever people complain about the rain, I think, without it, it wouldn't be so green and lush...
not even remotely amusing
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #75
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I've lived in Anchorage, Alaska, for the past 12 or so years. I tried to include a few photos that show a non-snowy side of Alaska. Everyone always imagines Alaska covered in snow, but we have an absolutely goergous summer as well (though it is fairly short).

Name:	Alaska.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	681.9 KB
ID:	64280

I took this one from the top of a hiking trail. I go on a lot of hikes and take lots and lots of photos, but I believe I snapped this one at Flat Top Mountain. A very easy day hike trail. There were 3 of us who started the hike, but only 2 of us made it to the top. About half way up, we met a guy who was running back down the trail. He didn't even stop, just flew past us and gasped something about a moose. Sure enough a few seconds later a big, angry moose comes charging down the trail, and all 3 of us bolted in different directions. One of my buddies kept on running and didn't stop till he was all the way back down the trail. He gave us a call a little later to let us know he was safe in the car and wasn't getting back out.

Name:	City Lights.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	663.1 KB
ID:	64281

Downtown Anchorage by night. Anchorage is of course a port town, so you can see the inlet and mudflats in the background. There is an amazing set of recreational paths that hug the coast for miles and miles. Some of the best bike riding you can ever find. Or you can ski it or go skijoring during winter. I had been planning to take some firework photos, so was out at night practicing my low-light skills when I took this one.

Name:	Fall In Alaska 2010-3.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	929.8 KB
ID:	64282

We always joke that we only have 3 seasons up here in Alaska: Summer, Winter and Road Construction, but we actually do have a brief Fall and Spring. It isn't anywhere near as vivid as the Fall changes you see on the East Coast of the States, but we get a bit of color here and there. I snapped this photo at a local lake when a friend of mine in Florida asked me to take some Fall inspired shots.

Name:	Fireweed.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	64284

Fireweed. My favorite wildflower. Here in Alaska we have sort of a love-hate relationship with the Fireweed. When it blooms, it is a beautiful sight. The color just pops, and the plant just seems to be everywhere. Later during the summer the blooms turn into cottony white fluff. We consider that the official sign that summer is winding to a close (thus the 'hate' part of the love-hate relationship). I took this one in a field right down the street from my house, next to a church.

Name:	Sleepy Time - Polar Bear.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	64283

OK, I had to include at least ONE photo that had snow in it. I do live in Alaska after all I didn't honestly sneak up on a sleeping polar bear, I actually took this one at the Alaska Zoo. This fellow was enjoying an afternoon nap and had no desire whatsoever to indulge us photogs. I couldn't pass up taking some of him anyway though, he just looked so comfortable (or 'cuddly', as my lady remarked).
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote