Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #31
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ta Da!! Got it. Didn't use git in the end though. Problem was related to not having the directory set properly in terminal. Thanks for your help Ed!!
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Is there any chance the key extraction will ultimately be retrievable using Mac only? My mac is MS free and I don't have a separate windows computer.

Mel
In order to do that, the key retreval program would have to be rewritten to pull the key from OS X instead of Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #33
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
If you take a look at "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/activation.dat" you'll find a very interesting file. It seems to hold keys in clear text and is not obfuscated in any way.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It is an interesting file isn't it. It would be nice to know how it compares with the ".der" file that is needed at present as that is "hidden".

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
For installation use the Fink Project

http://www.finkproject.org/

With that small scripts and programs you can easily install a lot of GNU programs like python or pycrypto like

# apt-get install pycrypto

It's the packaging system from Debian Linux and was ported to a lot of different systems. It's most certainly easier than compile something else.

Btw. can somebody publish the file(s) from the Digital Editions/ directory. If you have personal information like emails you can x them (like xxxx@xxxx.com - or PM me).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #36
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh well, here we go again. I'm trying to recompile the pycrypto for OSX 10.6 and after I download the source and do the build I get the following:

computer: pycrypto-2.0.1 Computer$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
building 'Crypto.Hash.MD2' extension
gcc-4.2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch ppc -arch x86_64 -pipe -Isrc/ -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 -c src/MD2.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.6-universal-2.6/src/MD2.o
unable to execute gcc-4.2: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 1

Obviously it doesn't like something. Any idea what. It worked okay with Leopard?

regards

Last edited by pthwaite; 09-30-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Can't get rid of the smiley so slightly amended the start
Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Looks like it's not able to find gcc. Do you have the developer tools installed?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #38
pthwaite
Fanatic

Hello Abecedary,
Well, when I upgraded I told it to do the whole shebang. What's more I can see the GCC directories, however I'm in the process of re-installing just now, so we shall see in about 5mins.

regards
Old 09-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #39
pthwaite
Fanatic

Abecedary,
Well a re-install did the trick. the build comes up with a few minor errors but it appears to work. Runs the test anyway.

And, with edembowski's note and help from another, I'm all MAC based now. No Windows needed.

Thanks again folks
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #40
dazcox
Enthusiast
dazcox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Any chance of a bit of help going OSX only?

Had a nightmare trying to get my Cool-er to authorise, so hit my max auths, adobe tech help are rubbish, so made a new adobe ID after exchanging the device which now works.

Sadly have a couple of e-books attached to my other ID, which I'd like to be able to read on the device.

Can't use my work PC as it's too locked down, and I cant get pycrypto to install (need the VC2008 redist, but windows installer service is screwed) so have to use my OSX machine.
dazcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #41
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazcox View Post
Any chance of a bit of help going OSX only?

Had a nightmare trying to get my Cool-er to authorise, so hit my max auths, adobe tech help are rubbish, so made a new adobe ID after exchanging the device which now works.

Sadly have a couple of e-books attached to my other ID, which I'd like to be able to read on the device.

Can't use my work PC as it's too locked down, and I cant get pycrypto to install (need the VC2008 redist, but windows installer service is screwed) so have to use my OSX machine.

Do you have a backup of your home directory made from the time when your other ID was active? If you have one, a restore of "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/" should give you access to your old ebooks. If you use Time Machine it should be tucked away on the backup drive.

Be sure to backup the current "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/" before you do anything or you might have to use another one of your authorizations to restore access to your current ebooks.

It's possible for Mac users to retrieve the key for use with I♥cabbage's python scripts, in fact it's easier, but it would be a violation of forum rules (darn that pesky DMCA) to post it here.

I sympathize with your experiences with Adobe Customer Support. It's horrendous. Just reading through their support forum for ADE is a laugh a minute--if you don't happen to be one of the posters needing help. There are a couple of Adobe staff members on the forums trying to do the job of the customer support staff (issues are submitted through web tickets which are usually ignored, or closed with bewildering excuses), but I imagine they must be overwhelmed.

I suspect that a lot of people wouldn't even bother trying to circumvent the DRM if Adobe's software and support were better.
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adullday View Post
I suspect that a lot of people wouldn't even bother trying to circumvent the DRM if Adobe's software and support were better.
I still would as I want to be able to fix formatting issues. A lot of publishers cannot format to save their lives.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
I would like to get someone's expert help on this. I'm trying to use the ineptepub.py script on my Mac running Leopard 10.5.8, and I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to Python and Crypto.

I obtained the Python 2.6.2 for the Mac package (it seems to be called MacPython) and installed it by double clicking its .mpkg installer, resulting in a Python 2.6 folder in my Applications folder. This folder has a Python Launcher app, an IDLE app, a Build Applet app, an Update Shell Profile command file, and a folder of Extras. I am not sure if the actual Python interpreter is in there???

I also obtained what seems to be PyCrypto 2.0.1. The installer, pycrypto-2.0.1.tar.gz, expanded into a pycrypto-2.0.1 folder on my desktop. Here is where I start to get lost. The included README file says:
The modules are packaged using the Distutils, so you can simply run "python setup.py build" to build the package, and "python setup.py install" to install it.
Huh? Does that mean to run those commands in Terminal? In doing so, I figured I had to use the cd command in Terminal to change my current directory to the pycrypto-2.0.1 folder on my desktop. Then I entered python setup.py build and saw a raft of messages rolling by in my Terminal window. Though there were several "warning" messages, there didn't seem to be any errors. So I entered python setup.py install and got a handful of running ... messages, a lot of copying ... messages, and then:
running install_egg_info
Removing /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pycrypto-2.0.1-py2.6.egg-info
Writing /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pycrypto-2.0.1-py2.6.egg-info
I gather that means Crypto installed properly???

But now I try to run my ineptepub.py script -- it's on my desktop -- which I copied and renamed from ineptepub.pyw. Downloaded from the Web, it's the script version that starts out:
#! /usr/bin/python

# ineptepub.pyw, version 2

# To run this program install Python 2.6 from http://www.python.org/download/
# and PyCrypto from http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/m...shtml#pycrypto
# (make sure to install the version for Python 2.6). Save this script file as
# ineptepub.pyw and double-click on it to run it.

# Revision history:
# 1 - Initial release
# 2 - Rename to INEPT, fix exit code

"""
Decrypt Adobe ADEPT-encrypted EPUB books.
"""

I had to use Get Info in the Mac Finder to direct that double clicking on .py files should open Python Launcher rather than IDLE, which seems to be the Python development environment. After doing that, when I double click on ineptepub.py, I see an app called Python try to run the script but instead fail on an error message:
This script requires PyCrypto, which must be installed separately. Read the top-of-script comment for details.
I also saw a new window open up in Terminal, with the contents:
Last login: Mon Oct 19 12:23:16 on ttys002
[iMac:~] eric% cd '/Users/eric/Desktop/' && '/usr/local/bin/pythonw' '/Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1

OK, so at this point I'm totally lost. I thought I installed PyCrypto, but now I'm being told I need to install PyCrypto.

Can someone please help me get this working? Thanks in advance ...
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
pthwaite
Fanatic

I know exactly how you feel. Been there, been baffled by that & eventually got it figured out.

Mac comes with Python installed so you may not have needed to install the Python, but I don't suppose it will make much difference.

However, what you MUST do is ensure you have the optional development tools installed that come on the setup disks.
Just shove the setup disk in and you should see an option to install other bits and pieces.

Open it up and choose to install the development tools. I installed X11 just to make sure I got everything.

Once you have the tools installed, try re-installing the pycrypto package. It sounds like you've got your head around terminal to get to the correct directory. The pycrypto package also ha a test programme for you to see if it's installed again it's listed in the readme file and that should give you some confidence that you are winning.

Try the above first and see how you get on, I'm by no means the best to give much help on Terminal and unix as I have no experience of unix and associated commands and just do a best guess with the old DOS commands

Howard
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #45
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Without going through your exact steps, I'm taking a wild guess here, but it looks like the pycrypto library got attached to the built-in python (which is good), but when you double click on the script it's running itself using the python you installed (/usr/local/bin/pythonw).

Try running the script from a fresh Terminal window.
e.g.
Code:
/usr/bin/python /Users/eric/Desktop/ineptepub.py
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote