Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
programagor
Human Tinkerer
programagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Smile Showcase of my rooted Kindle running Arch Linux

Greetings fellow humans and other lifeforms of the internet.
Recently I have rooted my Kindle Paperwhite 2 thanks to this forum, and made it run Arch Linux with full desktop environment. This video shows details:
Linux on Kindle demonstration - YouTube

Here is a picture album:
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2 rooted and made to run linux - Album on Imgur

Last edited by programagor; 05-21-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
programagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
loco
Connoisseur
loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.loco solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PW2
nice. congrats on the achievement. how did u do it?
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I assume he ran a chroot of ArchLinuxARM stored on a loop-mounted image in the userstore.

Then you just start an X server after killing lab126_gui. Or displaying applications on the default DISPLAY.

This guy did it too: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=arch+linux
But other people have done the same with debian armel.

Aside from the inherent coolness of running Arch on my Kindle (it is already on this laptop), there isn't much point.
Really, I prefer using my Kindle to read books.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fix link
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
programagor
Human Tinkerer
programagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the roughprogramagor is a jewel in the rough

I didn't actually kill the lab126 GUI, I started Xephyr to run the new X in a "window" on top of the lab126 GUI. Otherwise all is correct.

The mounting scripts are as follows:

xep.sh (started by KUAL):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ARCH=/mnt/base-us/extensions/arch
bash $ARCH/arch.sh /start-xep.sh
arch.sh (invoked by xep.sh):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
killall Xephyr
bash $ARCH/mount.sh
bash $ARCH/mount_aux.sh
chroot $ARCH/os/ /bin/bash $@
killall Xephyr
bash $ARCH/umount.sh
sleep 1
bash $ARCH/umount.sh
mount.sh (first mounting script invoked by arch.sh):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
rm /dev/loop/arch #just in case
mknod -m0660 /dev/loop/arch b 7 250
losetup -d /dev/loop/arch
mount -o loop=/dev/loop/arch,noatime -t ext3 $ARCH/arch.img $ARCH/os/
mount_aux.sh (second mounting script invoked by arch.sh):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mount -o bind /dev $ARCH/os/dev
mount -o bind /proc $ARCH/os/proc
mount -o bind / $ARCH/os/host
mount /dev/loop/0 $ARCH/os/mnt/us
start_xep.sh: (called from within the chroot environment)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0
Xephyr :1 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:xephyr" -screen 758x987 -cc 4 -nocursor &
sleep 1
export DISPLAY=:1
#/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus start &
xfwm4 --display=:1 &
xfce4-panel &
xfdesktop &
sleep 8
xvkbd -geometry 758x350+0-350
#/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus stop
killall Xephyr
umount.sh (unmounting script invoked by arch.sh):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
umount $ARCH/os/mnt/us
umount $ARCH/os/host
umount $ARCH/os/proc
umount $ARCH/os/dev
sleep 1
umount -d $ARCH/os/
rm /dev/loop/arch

Last edited by programagor; 12-14-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, Xephyr works too. I did notice you had the Kindle's statusbar lurking on the top.

EDIT: And I see you found the [CODE][/CODE]* tags. I was about to suggest them.

* -- rendered literal through the (now recursive) power of [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE]

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2015 at 10:49 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The more ambitious way to do it:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Creating_an_Operating_System
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
programagor
Human Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well of course creating my own OS from scratch is the next logical step on my checklist, but I didn't get to that just yet.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by programagor View Post
Well of course creating my own OS from scratch is the next logical step on my checklist, but I didn't get to that just yet.
Why not?
Linus Torvalds is having pretty good luck with his OS project.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arch linux, kindle paperwhite 2