Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Mjamy
Mjamy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Watermarking mobi files for Kindle?

Hi folks,

since Amazon's DRM protection is broken I am looking for other / additional ways to protect my content.

Is it possible to watermark the mobil files for Kindle?
Mjamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
In what way is Amazon's DRM "broken". It works fine on all 3 of my Kindles. Or, do you mean that is is possible to remove the DRM? All DRM is removable, as far as I know, if you know what you are doing.

I suppose by watermark, you mean embedding some text in the book saying who the owner is. Yes, you can do that, but you have to recreate the book every time in order to add the text.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Watermarking will not protect anything, it would only make possible to trace a copy to the original purchaser. But anything that can be read can be "broken" too.

If watermarking is what you want, this might give you some ideas:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=13
That's mainly for ePub, where the code is stored as-is. I don't know how much of it would be applicable to mobi files.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can protect your content by fiercely litigating if you are harmed by it's misuse, and watermarking can help there in some cases.

You can truly protect your content by not publishing it and showing it to no one.

Other than that, any technological measures you take are far more likely to tick someone off then to protect anything in the slightest.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Mjamy

Interesting aspects, thanks for the feedback.

If Kindle is not suited here: Are there services available that embed watermarsk in PDF files with the data of the buyer?
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems to me that you're likely to protect it so much, no-one will buy it. Adding DRM will only affect your paying customers, not those who rip you off by downloading unauthorised copies.

Watermarking is the only form of DRM I'm happy with on my books, but it's not possible through the Amazon Kindle store, as it would require Amazon to provide it. Indeed, it's only possible at the moment through your own web site.

But unless you're J K Rowling, you're unlikely to draw enough traffic (& sales) to justify the set-up costs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Mjamy

*Deleted as thiks is a PDF specific question*

Last edited by Mjamy; 02-14-2013 at 05:01 PM.