Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My Galaxy Player has a stand alone GPS. Just upload some offline maps.
And my stand alone GPS can play music and read eBooks. What is your point? It has nothing to do with Apple products.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Seriously? Shocker!
Srsly! I was like

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And my stand alone GPS can play music and read eBooks. What is your point? It has nothing to do with Apple products.
That it can be done at a reasonable price. Which is one of the points of this discussion.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The GPS on the iPhone depends on a cell-phone connection to work. This is why even the iPad does not have a GPS if you get the Wi-Fi version. The GPS is not a full stand alone GPS but rather one that is built in to provide location service and depends on a cell tower for some of its initialization.
This is not correct.
The GPS on a 3G iPad does not depend on a working cell connection, and functions without a SIM card inserted or a 3G plan enabled.
It will use the cell-tower information for faster initial lock, but it does not require it.
Google 'ipad gps no sim' for several discussions on this.
The iPad 2 uses the Broadcom BCM4751 GPS chip, as also used in the Galaxy Tab 8.9, Acer A100, Asus Transformer, and many others.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This is not correct.
The GPS on a 3G iPad does not depend on a working cell connection, and functions without a SIM card inserted or a 3G plan enabled.
It will use the cell-tower information for faster initial lock, but it does not require it.
Google 'ipad gps no sim' for several discussions on this.
The iPad 2 uses the Broadcom BCM4751 GPS chip, as also used in the Galaxy Tab 8.9, Acer A100, Asus Transformer, and many others.
Interesting but you still don't get it without buy the cell phone option which is a pity.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting but you still don't get it without buy the cell phone option which is a pity.
I agree, I'd like to have it on my devices.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
It sells for that price because Apple gouges its customers.

iSuppli has the BOM + Mfg for the 16GB iPhone 4S at $196. Sell the 16GB for $249 and the 32GB for $299; and Apple still makes a tidy profit.
First off, all manufacturers gouge. Second, it doesn't matter what it costs Apple to create it, they will sell it for $500 or more. Third, none of that has any bearing on eBay prices as those are determined by what the market will support. Since iPhones retain a high value in the market, you won't get a working one with no serious flaws for anywhere near the price of a touch.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
First off, all manufacturers gouge. Second, it doesn't matter what it costs Apple to create it, they will sell it for $500 or more. Third, none of that has any bearing on eBay prices as those are determined by what the market will support. Since iPhones retain a high value in the market, you won't get a working one with no serious flaws for anywhere near the price of a touch.
I know.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Get a ipad mini for not much more money.

ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
It sells for that price because Apple gouges its customers.
first sentence

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...13&postcount=3
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Get a ipad mini for not much more money.
That would be a total waste of my money. iPads don't have card slots and are worthless to me because of that.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #27
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
That would be a total waste of my money. iPads don't have card slots and are worthless to me because of that.
... and nor do iPhones or iPod Touches, which you say you do want.
I am confused.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
... and nor do iPhones or iPod Touches, which you say you do want.
I am confused.
For me, a tablet's primary function is to watch videos while away from home. That requires large amounts of storage. A card slot is a must, unless they're going to sell a 64GB Nexus 7 for $199. See that happening? Neither do I.

I can get by with 16GB on a PMP, because I don't carry much in the way of music and videos. If the iPod touch had the same feature set as the iPhone (including 16GB for the base model), I'd seriously consider it as a PMP. Since it doesn't, the Galaxy Player is my PMP of choice.

As to the iPod touch 4 I currently own, it sits at home in a speaker dock playing Pandora, BBC, and audiobooks. For audio streaming, it's superb. For anything else, it's pretty worthless. That's why I want it shrunk to the size I showed in post 10. Then it would be a great audio player.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
As you can see, the iPod touch is quite weak compared to the iPhone. What I want is an iPhone with the 3G/4G radio stripped out and everything else left intact.

My question is why Apple won't do it. Are they afraid people will stop buying the phones?
The 3G/4G radio is cheap. Price of such a device will be closer to iPhone than iPod Touch pricing without a hefty subsidy to buffer the consumer from a huge upfront cost.

Quote:
That it can be done at a reasonable price. Which is one of the points of this discussion.
Yeah, so? Unless something drastically changes, I don't think Apple will be willing to let go of their 60+% profit margin. That's just wishful thinking.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The 3G/4G radio is cheap. Price of such a device will be closer to iPhone than iPod Touch pricing without a hefty subsidy to buffer the consumer from a huge upfront cost.

Yeah, so? Unless something drastically changes, I don't think Apple will be willing to let go of their 60+% profit margin. That's just wishful thinking.
Only because they gouge.