Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
kathleenjunk
kathleenjunk began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
HTML input not working since 8.37 upgrade

Hello...I am a casual, but enthusiastic user of calibre. I use it to convert my son's bookshare books for students with reading disabilities) into epub.

Until I upgraded to 8.37, everything worked great.

I receive his book from bookshare in xml format. I open that in Microsoft word and save as HTML. I drag the html file into calibre into the book list. It allows me to download the metadata just fine, but NOW after 8.37 when I go to convert it the ONLY INPUT OPTION IS ZIP. No way to change that drop down box to anything else.

So of course, converting just gives me an error message.

Open and closed the calibre program; rebooted computer. No help.

Can anyone help? Thanks
kathleenjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
XML is not the same as HTML.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
kathleenjunk

Hi Susan:
I probably wasn't all that clear. The way I do it (that has worked hundreds of times before in Calibre is)

1. start with xml file
2. use Word to open xml file
3. SAVE AS html file
4. now I have an html file
5. drag html file into Calibre

always worked before but not now
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The onput option being zip is correct. When you add an html file to calibre, it gets added as zip. What error are you getting when trying to conver the file?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
kathleenjunk

Detailed Error Message

Hello...thanks for taking the time to personally respond to my query...Here is the error message details generated when I attempted a conversion from html to epub:

Convert book 1 of 1 (Scorpia)
Spoiler:

Processing archive...
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.37
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'breadth_first': False,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': 'c:\\users\\kathle~1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibr e_0.8.37_tmp_n9qsie\\sc2pjl.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_package': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x05A2B1D0>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_levels': 5,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 100.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.GenericEink object at 0x05A2B3D0>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': 'c:\\users\\kathle~1\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibr e_0.8.37_tmp_n9qsie\\ryzndb.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running
on c:\users\kathle~1\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.8.3 7_tmp_n9qsie\y1ifnp_plumber_archive\content.opf
Parsing all content...
Manifest item 'toc.ncx' not found
Parsing Scorpia__Alex_Rider__5_.html ...
Found microsoft markup, cleaning...
Generating default TOC from spine...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Auto generated TOC with 0 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 10.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Found 1 items of level: div_1
Found 2742 items of level: p_8
Found 57 items of level: p_9
Found 90 items of level: p_6
Found 2775 items of level: p_7
Found 7 items of level: p_4
Found 12 items of level: p_5
Found 2 items of level: p_3
Ignoring level p_4
Ignoring level p_5
Ignoring level p_3
div_1 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
div_1 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
p_8 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 2742})
p_8 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 2742})
p_9 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 57})
p_9 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 57})
p_6 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 90})
p_6 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 90})
p_7 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 2775})
p_7 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 2775})
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Creating EPUB Output...
Looking for large trees in Scorpia__Alex_Rider__5_.html...
Found large tree #0
Splitting...
Split point: {http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/dtbook/}h2 /*/*[2]/*/ns0:dtbook/ns0:book/ns0:bodymatter/ns0:level1/ns0:level2[8]/ns0:h2
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Undefined namespace prefix (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 191, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1087, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\epub\output.py", line 171, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 57, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 67, in split_item
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 209, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 409, in split_to_size
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 308, in do_split
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\transforms\split.py", line 272, in adjust_split_point
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 1459, in lxml.etree._Element.xpath (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:40530)
File "xpath.pxi", line 324, in lxml.etree.XPathElementEvaluator.__call__ (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:113864)
File "xpath.pxi", line 242, in lxml.etree._XPathEvaluatorBase._handle_result (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:113063)
File "xpath.pxi", line 227, in lxml.etree._XPathEvaluatorBase._raise_eval_error (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:112894)
lxml.etree.XPathEvalError: Undefined namespace prefix

THANKS!

Last edited by theducks; 01-29-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: wrap HUGE paste in spoiler
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open the HTMl file in a text editor. Inside it look for things that look like

xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/dtbook/"

Delete all such occurrences (xmlns=something or the other)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
kathleenjunk

Still not working

Well, I've searched through five random html "books" using the "find" feature of microsoft Word, but cannot find xmlns (I assume the third letter is a lower case L).

I installed version 8.38, but no help.

Any chance I can uninstall Calibre and then find the version before 8.37 since whatever earlier version I had before converts the html into epub with no problem.

Thanks for any suggestions. Kathleen
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to search the source HTML, I doubt word does that. In any case, older releases of calibre are available from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenjunk View Post
Any chance I can uninstall Calibre and then find the version before 8.37 since whatever earlier version I had before converts the html into epub with no problem.
You can find earlier versions here...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/

Quote:
Well, I've searched through five random html "books" using the "find" feature of microsoft Word, but cannot find xmlns (I assume the third letter is a lower case L).
You'd probably need to use a text editor to do it, not Word.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote