Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #46
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Footfall was good but I thought "The Mote in God's Eye (The Mote Series)" was even better.
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I'll second Dune by Frank Herbert, its a fantastic book. The sequels are debateable but the first one stands on it's own and is great.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #48
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Iain M. Banks: streets ahead of 99.9% of all sci-fi. He crosses genres. If you want something 'literary' I'd suggest 'Use of Weapons.' It's out there... The Algebraist is excellent.

Banks writes straight fiction, too. The Wasp-factory is a good place to start, then The Bridge. My personal fave: Complicity.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #49
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula le Guin.
"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman.

After I read each of these, I then rushed out and got everything written by each author. I don't know if they are available as e-books - mine are paper.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #50
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmorrison View Post
Footfall was good but I thought "The Mote in God's Eye (The Mote Series)" was even better.
Agreed

But the Mote sequel was not so good.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #51
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula le Guin.
"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman.

After I read each of these, I then rushed out and got everything written by each author. I don't know if they are available as e-books - mine are paper.
Both great authors.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #52
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Most of Neil Gaiman's work is available in electronic form, at least his novels. The Sandman comics I don't know about, but I'd be surprised if they're not online somewhere.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #53
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
If you're exploring fantasy for the first time, I'd recommend Robert E. Howard's Conan stories and Solomon Kane stories for a gritty blend of fantasy and pseudo-history.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #54
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlewis View Post
If you're exploring fantasy for the first time, I'd recommend Robert E. Howard's Conan stories and Solomon Kane stories for a gritty blend of fantasy and pseudo-history.
Definitely!

Add his Kull stories to that recommendation as well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote