Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard Morgan (starting with Altered Carbon)

I also remember enjoying The Riftwar Saga (Mainly Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) by Raymond E. Feist
Just started on this. So far, really enjoying. I have NO idea how I missed these when they first came out.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Check out just about anything from Dan Simmons. No sparkly vampires in those works and his stories are generally sophisticated.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes Zelazny, but (as we were discussing in another thread) none of his work is available in ebook form.
You can get "The Black Throne" at Baen

http://www.webscription.net/s-115-roger-zelazny.aspx

(but maybe only if you like Poe).
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #34
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
Orson Scott Cards "Ender's Trilogy" is a good multi-layered sci-fi, and of course anything by Philip K. Dick is incredible. [WARNING Tangent Ahead] Seriously, regardless of the (often ridiculous) situations Dick puts his characters they jump off the page...maybe it's just me but I'm constantly amazed at how multi-layered his characters are.
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

It's not too "technical", for a first scifi read. I don't know anyone who has read the book and not been engrossed by it.

Last edited by Angst; 10-14-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #35
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
How about "sort of sci fi" like Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale or Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go?

eP
First, can I just say that I love Mobileread because instead of the smackdown that OP would typically get on other forums to "learn to use search, there are X other threads on this topic" - people here continue to make suggestions and actually post helpful links to those threads.

I sincerely appreciate this because while I've been here long enough to read the other recommendation threads, inevitably, new thread = new rec that's of interest to me!

This time Never Let Me Go caught my eye. I've just finished Remains of the Day for a bookclub. I didn't hate ROTD, but it wasn't my cup of tea & I only finished it for bookclub, so I wasn't looking for another Ishiguro book. Just looked up NLMG however & it sounds pretty interesting so I'll give him another try
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiestyx View Post
First, can I just say that I love Mobileread because instead of the smackdown that OP would typically get on other forums to "learn to use search, there are X other threads on this topic" - people here continue to make suggestions and actually post helpful links to those threads.

I sincerely appreciate this because while I've been here long enough to read the other recommendation threads, inevitably, new thread = new rec that's of interest to me!

This time Never Let Me Go caught my eye. I've just finished Remains of the Day for a bookclub. I didn't hate ROTD, but it wasn't my cup of tea & I only finished it for bookclub, so I wasn't looking for another Ishiguro book. Just looked up NLMG however & it sounds pretty interesting so I'll give him another try
Truth!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #37
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My suggestions- all of which are gritty fantasy
Kim Newman's Anno Dracula
Matthew Sturges- Midwinter
Ian Tregillis- Bitter Seeds
Amanda Downum- The Drowning City
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #38
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post

I've heard of Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind but haven't looked too hard into either of them. Would they be a good place to go next, or if not, then what?
Per your usual tastes, I would say no. You would likely find it to be fluff.

If you're looking for literary edge with substance, I'd check out Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz, or Gene Wolfe's Shadow and Claw. There are others, but those two come to mind. Possibly Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiestyx View Post

Give NLMG a try, you won't be sorry! It is a very different beast than ROTD.

In the interest of full disclosure, I liked both books; in fact, I've read and enjoyed all of Ishiguro's books, so I'm probably a little biased here.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And how about Neil Stephenson...not my cup of tea, but many seem to love him.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Give NLMG a try, you won't be sorry! It is a very different beast than ROTD.

In the interest of full disclosure, I liked both books; in fact, I've read and enjoyed all of Ishiguro's books, so I'm probably a little biased here.
Just Scored Never Let Me Go from the local Library! Yeah!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #42
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
[QUOTE=OtterBooks;1788981]Per your usual tastes, I would say no. You would likely find it to be fluff.

If you're looking for literary edge with substance, I'd check out Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz, or Gene Wolfe's Shadow and Claw. There are others, but those two come to mind. Possibly Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.[/QUOTE

I used to start students in a class I presented with A Canticle For Leibowitz. You should of heard the groans, this was at the peak of Star.... movies.

If you want a fast read, but with some good ideas Old Mans War usually is good. For an intro to SF I always suggest Ringworld.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #43
kennyc

The whole Larry Niven - 'Known Space' books are great!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #44
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The whole Larry Niven - 'Known Space' books are great!
I also like Niven's Lucifer's Hammer (comet hitting the earth), Footfall (Alien Invasion) and Inferno (A Sci Fi Writer ends up in Dante's Hell). All three of these are co written by Jerry Pournelle.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #45
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
kennyc has already mentioned Neal Stephenson (who's one of my favourite authors). You may find his System of the World trilogy interesting - it's not sci-fi (being set against a background of the formation of the Royal Society), but it's a cracking read nevertheless.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote