Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Light that clips directly to PRS-350?

Anyone have a good experience with a light that attaches directly to a PRS-350, instead of one designed to attach to a cover?

I'd love links to pictures of lights in use with a PRS-350. No google results on point yet.

The one I'm using - a $5 light from Wal-Mart - is useless. It falls off all the time, I can't adjust it so that I'm not staring through a bright light, and it casts uneven light with LED reflections on the screen.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I know Sony sell a small clip-on light in bookshops, around £10/ $6 ? Don't know if that would do ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I use a Kandle light I got through Amazon.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I use a Kandle attached to the cover, too, and it never falls. I find it quite comfortable.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

From pictures, it seems that the Kandle lights the top of the screen very well, but doesn't do as good a job at the bottom. Is that true in your experience?
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Wilyumm
Wilyumm
Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony prs505, Sony prs 950
Kandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
From pictures, it seems that the Kandle lights the top of the screen very well, but doesn't do as good a job at the bottom. Is that true in your experience?
Same for me. Also the small screws that hold the light in place stripped on mine and it kept sagging.
I bought an ebook light which is similar to the Kandle and it lights the entire book.
Wilyumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyumm View Post
Same for me. Also the small screws that hold the light in place stripped on mine and it kept sagging.
I bought an ebook light which is similar to the Kandle and it lights the entire book.
The Kandle does a good job on my 350 but would probably not do as great a job on a bigger reader. So Wilyumm what kind of light did you get?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
Yup. And a ditto to Wilyumm, too, with the droop.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Have you considered the Verso Wrap Light by Lightwedge?

Haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it might fit the bill.

They ain't cheap but they're rechargeable via USB and have clips to mount to a variety of bezels. Marketing fluff even says they'll fit on the the Pocket (not sure if they mean 350 and not 300). Lightwedge -- for their excessive prices -- can make good booklights.

Whatever you settle on, let us know!
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Oh god! Me & booklights!! LOL I have a ton of them. Most of the ones I have clip onto a case not directly to the reader. It took me a while before I found one I really liked that clipped right onto my reader and then I found the Verso.

http://www.lightwedge.com/Welcome/Verso-Clip-Light

I bought mine at Borders but I've seen it at Chapters in Canada and other stores. I like it. I can put it where I want on my reader - top, bottom or sides and move the flex arm as needed. It has some rubber pieces attached that don't scratch my reader. I do find they leave a smudge but that's easily removed with a wipe of a finger or microfibre cloth. When I got mine they only came in black or white but now they come in lots of colors.

I like that it clips right to the reader, it's small, it doesn't scratch, it's bright enough and if I want I can even use it on a paper book.

Enjoy & good luck in your quest to find your perfect booklight.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

I suppose a magnet attached to the light, then to 350, would be a nono ?

Might wipe the memory.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
barium
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Oh god! Me & booklights!!
http://www.lightwedge.com/Welcome/Verso-Clip-Light

I like that it clips right to the reader, it's small, it doesn't scratch, it's bright enough and if I want I can even use it on a paper book.
Thanks for the link. How long does the battery last before you have to replace it?

Quote:
Have you considered the Verso Wrap Light by Lightwedge?
That looks like a great light, but for that price, I'd probably just get Sony's lighted cover.

Do any of the MightyBright lights have a clip that you can attach to the reader instead of a cover? Maybe the XtraFlex2, but that's got a giant clip that might not fit on the PRS-350. Or the MiniFlex, but that uses those pesky, probably limited life CR2032 batteries.

Last edited by barium; 05-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have an eye on the Lightwedge Verso Arc. Does anyone use it? It is rechargeable via USB and comes with different "shoes" for different readers.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Even though I have a Mighty Bright Travel Flex and the Sony lighted cover, I really love the idea of a rechargeable clip on light for my reader. I wish I discovered the Verso lights before I got the Mighty Bright (not that the Mighty Bright isn't good, it's a great light and really lights up the 350 well).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I suppose a magnet attached to the light, then to 350, would be a nono ?

Might wipe the memory.

CM,

Not so much no-no as no and no.

No, the magnet idea doesn't work. The light I use is an modified E-Luminator2 for the Sony. The craptastic injection molded clip never fit right and finally broke off at the post (The light is great, the clip was not). trimmed everything down and epoxied two thin Neodymium Magnets to it. It sticks BEAUTIFULLY to my homemade cover (thanks to it's sheet metal core), but the magnets don't even try to grip the reader.

And No, modern Flash ROMs are not susceptible to magnets -- even really strong ones really close.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote