Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
new droid user, just got an incredible

the only other droid thread I found appeared to be from this fall. I'm pretty much a blank slate with this... um help?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi KindleKitten,
Welcome to the Android Forums.

There is a lot you can do with an android device. The DInc(Droid Incredible) is a sweet phone it was the phone that convinced me I wanted an Android phone. I ended up with a Vibrant... go figure

Well since you have a Kindle the first thing you ought to do is download the Kindle App for Android.

Also there is an app called "Send to Kindle" it will use the Kindle service to convert an HTML page to MOBI book.

Then of course you will want to get a decent eReader to read the other format(ePUB) Moon+ and Aldiko 2.0 are two good choices. Moon+ Pro has TTS and aldiko has Adobe DRM ePUB/PDF support.

As far as games you have to download Angry Birds so you can be part of the "cool" crowd.

There is tons more don't hesitate to ask.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
verizon doesn't have the kindle app and I am unclear as to where else to look for it (thanks loads!)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hi kindlekitten,

There's a popular Droid forum that should be a good source of info for you. There's a sub-forum for the Incredible.

http://www.droidforums.net/
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
look for an app named market,
search for kindle in it
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the only other droid thread I found appeared to be from this fall. I'm pretty much a blank slate with this... um help?
The DInc is a great device, isn't it? I love mine. It didn't come with a manual, though, so you might want to download a copy online.

I'd also suggest visiting the App Market (there should be an icon for it on your homescreen) and have a look at the ereader apps available. There are Kindle, Kobo, and Nook apps, but if you want to go the non-DRM route, Aldiko is the king (at least the old version was. You may not like the current one, but I think the old one is still available from the dev's website). Moon+ is another up-and-coming reader.

Android Forums is a good place for additional info, and if you decide to root your phone you'll probably want to visit XDA Developers occasionally. Rooting (sort of like jailbreaking, only different) opens up a lot of possibilities, but it's nothing to rush into.

Enjoy your new phone!

PS. It's easy to go hog-wild at the App Market in the beginning - you'll find some useful pointers here: http://androidforums.com/android-app...w-android.html

Last edited by wayrad; 01-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hi kindlekitten,

There's a popular Droid forum that should be a good source of info for you. There's a sub-forum for the Incredible.

http://www.droidforums.net/
super!! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
look for an app named market,
search for kindle in it
I did, they don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
The DInc is a great device, isn't it? I love mine. It didn't come with a manual, though, so you might want to download a copy online.

I'd also suggest visiting the App Market (there should be an icon for it on your homescreen) and have a look at the ereader apps available. There are Kindle, Kobo, and Nook apps, but if you want to go the non-DRM route, Aldiko is the king (at least the old version was. You may not like the current one, but I think the old one is still available from the dev's website). Moon+ is another up-and-coming reader.

Android Forums is a good place for additional info, and if you decide to root your phone you'll probably want to visit XDA Developers occasionally. Rooting (sort of like jailbreaking, only different) opens up a lot of possibilities, but it's nothing to rush into.

Enjoy your new phone!

PS. It's easy to go hog-wild at the App Market in the beginning - you'll find some useful pointers here: http://androidforums.com/android-app...w-android.html
great! thanks! I have no intention of jailbreaking it anytime soon. I need to be a competent user before I start making it do other things!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I think you are not using the correct market app. Verizon has their own little market but you should look for an icon that says market. On all of the Verizon android devices I've seen (have 5 in the immediate family), the icon looks like a white shopping bag with the green android on the shopping bag.

On two Verizon devices I checked the Send to Kindle app is available though the bigger android market.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I think you are not using the correct market app. Verizon has their own little market but you should look for an icon that says market. On all of the Verizon android devices I've seen (have 5 in the immediate family), the icon looks like a white shopping bag with the green android on the shopping bag.

On two Verizon devices I checked the Send to Kindle app is available though the bigger android market.
I'm going to the correct icon. when I click on it I have wp books and borders
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm going to the correct icon. when I click on it I have wp books and borders
I am still not sure you are going to the correct market app. Do you have barcode scanner app if not download that and scan this code it will take you to the kindle app

Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
The Android market on a new Droid Incredible will be on the main screen (with weather and clock) just below and to the left of the clock/weather. Or you can go to the applications menu and look for "Market" in there. Search for "Kindle" and you'll find the app.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I am still not sure you are going to the correct market app. Do you have barcode scanner app if not download that and scan this code it will take you to the kindle app

I have not seen a barcode scanner app, and do not recall one on the verizon website

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
The Android market on a new Droid Incredible will be on the main screen (with weather and clock) just below and to the left of the clock/weather. Or you can go to the applications menu and look for "Market" in there. Search for "Kindle" and you'll find the app.
I have the little shopping cart with the red ball with the V in it. I have gone there, looked under "reading" looked under "ereaders" and that is where I got the results I posted above.

I went to the online verizon store and did not see kindle there either
Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
I have not seen a barcode scanner app, and do not recall one on the verizon website

I have the little shopping cart with the red ball with the V in it. I have gone there, looked under "reading" looked under "ereaders" and that is where I got the results I posted above.

I went to the online verizon store and did not see kindle there either
can you open this app
press the search button on the top right enter kindle press search

You should find this app in your app drawer its the 2nd left from the bottom you can see it only partially I dont have a droid thats the best screenshot I could find

Last edited by Dopedangel; 01-22-2011 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added 2nd pic
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
The Market interface has changed, and on your phone it may not look exactly like the first screenshot above. If you are only seeing Verizon apps, it sounds like you need to change to the Apps tab at the top - there's Apps, Games, and Verizon, but the new version rather obscures the fact that they are separate tabs (one of the many reasons I hate it...)

P.S. Barcode Scanner comes from the Market, so you need to be able to get in there first.
PPS. If you see a screen that says Vcast, hit the back button to get to the main market screen. I wouldn't put it past Verizon to make it default to their bloated useless apps the first time.

Last edited by wayrad; 01-22-2011 at 07:15 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

well that answers a lot! I have found the market button am attempting to open it now (I live in a REALLY bad cell area), this may take awhile