Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Can you back this up?
I'll do better than that I'll let you think.

Last year before Nov09 Google had 3% of the market. This year google owns 26% of the market. If we both agree that the smartphone market is expanding,

What percentage of the 26% represent returning customers. Also here is some more info. Contracts are sold in 2yrs the stat I gave you was for 1yr difference.

Quote:
I'll remind you of the most recent Apple quarterly call:
That is probably why your facts are distorted, your listing to Apple. Do some research and don't rely on Apple for your facts. If you recall in their quarterly report they also said they did not have a drop call issue.

If the majority of iPhone4 where new customers their growth would have been much higher. Instead they grew only slightly.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
First: What new functionalities would Apple not be able to offer?

That said, I'll make a quote of something I read earlier this month:

Why did I quote this? To press the point that Apple is an elite business. It doesn't matter what the competition does, Apple always finds a way to excel. There is nothing new in the Google/Android HP/WebOS RIM/Playbook race that is so dfferent that we can can say Apple will might be in bankruptcy a decade from now The PC companies had the best shot at doing it, and Apple outperformed them. It's much more likely that they'll be in the same position they are in now: reaching markets first, getting an irreplaceable grip on the most valuable parts of those markets, and leading the rest of the companies in profit and mindshare.
Apple doesn't really "excel" . They have always been behind the curve (cut&paste, multitasking, flash, RAM, processor speed, battery capacity, just to name a few). Only 2 things where they have actually taken the lead (built-in memory and the screen resolution on iPhone4) Look at the iPad. Ridiculously low memory of 256 MB. Ever heard of flash? Doesn't work well on mobile devices big Steve's tells you? Try any advanced Android phone from the last 2 years. I use my Streak to watch video from the internet all the time. Smooth sailing, Apple talking down flash is just marketing speak. Just a matter of the personal grudge that Jobs holds against Adobe. No exchangeable battery on a phone (which also necessitates the multitasking problems and the refusal to use flash)? No widgets (just to turn WiFi on and off you need to click 6 times!!). No customizability. Actual file management capabilities. The iphone has a tiny screen -- you could easily fit a 4" screen in the same form factor. Multitasking still not up to par. Actually the only thing Apple is the market leader at is in dumbing down devices so that even the technophobes can use them -- not always a bad thing, but it means I lose so many capabilities I want and need. And Apple has only one choice. Besides, others have followed that dumbing down trend (in Android with carrier custom ROM's and WM 7 is designed from the ground up for the clueless).

Now the iphone4 actually is a capable device unlocked, not as the masters of the universe intended, though. The only thing Apple is good at is marketing, paying all of those bloggers and tech journalists who give rave reviews to mediocre products. And Google is exactly the one who can beat them at that game.

Reliability? Jesus, the breakdown rate I have seen among people I know is incredible. The difference? The fanboys just don't complain, they get it repaired and just say "it looks good".

No, I don't predict Apple will go bankrupt. But they will go back from being the perceived market leader to being #3 or 4. Way behind the leaders. What do others offer that Apple doesn't in the tablet space? Different form factors, bigger for media, smaller for reading and portability. Full flash, no need to pay for Hulu, etc. Uncensored market. No need for iTunes or a computer at all, you can do everything right from the phone. Others are offering cheaper prices but more capabilities. Apple will not sell less, but the market will grow and most new buyers won't be buying Apple tablets. End result will be a greatly reduced market share for Apple.

Besides, Apple will be a victim of its own success. Given the fact that you see their devices everywhere these days a lot of people who used to buy Apple to stand out are buying something else that seems more "special". Others are learning better styling, too. Apple now tries to keep its products "family friendly" which further alienates many.

You say Apple is an "elite business". And you are right, but you forget that elite business cannot dominate anything but niche markets for long. And once an elite product becomes ubiquitous it loses a lot of its appeal.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-21-2011 at 11:17 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
That is probably why your facts are distorted, your listing to Apple.
=X=
Yes, but they quoted verifiable stats. None of their competitors contradicted them.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
End result will be a greatly reduced market share for Apple.
If it produces anything like the profit the pc business has produced, I'm sure it will make them very very happy.

Market share is fools gold. Apple has 4.? percent marketshare in the PC business, but the lions share of the profits. They've won, not their competitors.

Whats the use of having 70% of the market if the other 30% is the insanely profitable one?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
If it produces anything like the profit the pc business has produced, I'm sure it will make them very very happy.

Market share is fools gold. Apple has 4.? percent marketshare in the PC business, but the lions share of the profits. They've won, not their competitors.

Whats the use of having 70% of the market if the other 30% is the insanely profitable one?
Actually, as you can see from the Galaxy Tab, Samsung can actually command a higher price for much cheaper hardware. And top end Google phones are more expensive than the iphone now. But sure, Apple will stay very profitable, I am just arguing that they won't be top dog for long in the tablet space and that they must be worried. The days of easy money are over.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #21
chuck2
chuck2 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7 Black
Cool chuck2

I'M NEW, OWN A PANDIGITAL NOVEL 7 AND WOULD TAKE ANY ADVICE AND TIPS.
chuck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #22
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2 View Post
I'M NEW, OWN A PANDIGITAL NOVEL 7 AND WOULD TAKE ANY ADVICE AND TIPS.
Welcome to mobile read chuck!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
The worst years for Apple’s PC business occurred when Apple was the least control-freakish: when they offered a plethora of hardware models (Performas, Centrises, Quadras) and even licensed their OS to clone makers.
If you would recall, that was also the time when Apple was without Jobs. If the headlines are any indication, they are again looking at a period of no Steve, either temporarily or permanently. Apple is VERY afraid, and not necessarily about Android!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned

Interesting Editorial:

Quote:
es, we saw an endless supply of Android tablets from manufacturers at CES, but only one of them was running Honeycomb, Google's tablet-focused, latest update to Android. I use the word "running" liberally when I shouldn't: the Motorola Xoom merely played a video demo. The interface and touch screen weren't ready. Every other tablet, save for the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook (which actually was completely functional, running the BlackBerry Tablet OS, during hands-ons with the press), was running either Android 2.1 or 2.2, neither of which is designed to work on tablet screens.

It may sound like I am being impatient. Has Apple spoiled us with product launches that include actual, functional products to show off? Call me crazy, but that's what I expect: an actual product.
Yup, up until now, all vapor.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376002,00.asp