Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #76
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Yes, but I read on a Winimage forum that the drives don't show up unless you have Administrator access on WinXP and Windows 7... If anybody finds something different, I'm willing to try anything. Let me know.
That's correct. In order to write the SD card (at least in Win7), you have to right-click Winimage and select 'Run as Administrator'.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #77
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
OK...I rooted my NookColor. How do you install apps? I can't find instructions for that.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #78
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
OK...I rooted my NookColor. How do you install apps? I can't find instructions for that.

What happened overnight to change things!?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #79
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

What happened overnight to change things!?
I found a little app that did not need the admin access the other required.

So, how do you install and app? an apk file?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #80
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found a little app that did not need the admin access the other required.

So, how do you install and app? an apk file?

Really simple:

You can now install apps directly using the ADB program in the SDK.

adb install package.apk

package.apk = name of file

I have to use:

./adb install package.apk
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #81
SCION
Séduisant

Do you have some .apk files? I don't know if you have an Android phone that's why I ask. I don't.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #82
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Do you have some .apk files? I don't know if you have an Android phone that's why I ask. I don't.
No, I am an iPhone guy even though I am not a big Apple fan.

Thanks for the info. I loaded Angry Birds. I gotta catch a flight in a couple of hours and I'm still not packed. But at least I have a cool game to play on the flight.

So, one thing I noticed is my 16 gig micro SD card is now only 40 MB since I loaded that image on it. Formatting doesn't get back the rest of the space. Any idea how to fix this?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #83
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
I do not have an Android phone so where can I download these .apk files for the app?
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #84
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I do not have an Android phone so where can I download these .apk files for the app?
http://slideme.org/

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

This will give you an idea of what apps Android folks use:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857434

A few apps can only be found in the Android Market or other sites require you have a phone to access them. Sometimes you have to hunt and peck for the .apk file using Google and hope someone posted a link to it somewhere.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #85
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
http://slideme.org/

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

This will give you an idea of what apps Android folks use:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857434

A few apps can only be found in the Android Market or other sites require you have a phone to access them. Sometimes you have to hunt and peck for the .apk file using Google and hope someone posted a link to it somewhere.
Thanks. I found apk downloads for angry birds and kindle on the nookdev website. I'll just try those as a start. Well, I haven't really rooted my NC yet. I've been reading and trying to understand all the instructions but still nervous to make the plunge since I've never rooted any device before. It was also reported in xda-developer site that the rooting affects the ability for the NC to "read in store" so I'm still a little on the fence. I might cave at anytime seeing all the cool apps on the NC.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #86
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
... I'm still a little on the fence. I might cave at anytime seeing all the cool apps on the NC.
I can relate!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #87
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
So, one thing I noticed is my 16 gig micro SD card is now only 40 MB since I loaded that image on it. Formatting doesn't get back the rest of the space. Any idea how to fix this?
You have to remove the Nooter partition.

On a Mac there's no option within the Disk Utility to remove partitions. Instead I have to select "Partition" choosing "1" as the number of partitions needed. In effect, this deletes the Nooter volume and allocates the entire disk capacity to one partition/volume. Now when I mount the sd card it shows as Untiitled1 (available space 1.9 GB) instead of Nooter.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #88
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
If your nook color is rooted, I recommend trying the new soft buttons (helps with apps that are fullscreen without the options bar). Go here to find the link to the thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=861902
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #89
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have some basic (dumb) questions about the NC when rooted. (Currently I'm just looking & don't have an NC.)
  1. Does the B&N purchase/DL still work th same?
  2. Does the sync with other devices still work?
  3. Do you need Nook for Android to read books?
  4. I've seen comments about Kindle for Android. Are there other ebook readers that you've tried? E.g. Aldika, FBReader, ereader, PalmBook?
  5. Does the dictionary still work (if you use the B&N reader)?
  6. Have you compared browsing speed with other mobile devices? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks for the help.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #90
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I have some basic (dumb) questions about the NC when rooted. (Currently I'm just looking & don't have an NC.)
  1. Does the B&N purchase/DL still work th same?
  2. Does the sync with other devices still work?
  3. Do you need Nook for Android to read books?
  4. I've seen comments about Kindle for Android. Are there other ebook readers that you've tried? E.g. Aldika, FBReader, ereader, PalmBook?
  5. Does the dictionary still work (if you use the B&N reader)?
  6. Have you compared browsing speed with other mobile devices? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks for the help.
You don't lose any of the B&N eReader experience. All the functionality is there (dictionary, sync, shop, library). All of the original apps are still there. You do lose the "browse in store" feature. If you're in a B&N store you won't be able to read books for up to 1 hour.

I find the browsing experience with another browser (Dolphin Browser HD) to be comparable to other mobile devices. Dolphin gives you pinch to zoom, tabs, other goodies.

I've only tried Kindle for Android on the device. I haven't installed the others you mention.