Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Random Kindle Reboots

Hi All,

My K3 wifi has rebooted a few times randomly in the last 2 weeks. The wife's has done it 3 times in the last 5 (so hers isn't an issue). Both are running firmware 3.0.1. I did a ;dumpMessages and looked at the file and notice something rather interesting.

Every so often syslog-ng restarts when the log file exceeds its limit, and upon restart it initialises its configuration

Quote:
101006:112027 syslog-ng[962]: SIGHUP received, restarting syslog-ng
101006:112028 syslog-ng[962]: new configuration initialized
But the times it randomly reboots I see;

Quote:
101006:111503 syslog-ng[962]: SIGHUP received, restarting syslog-ng
101006:111924 `[962]: syslog-ng version 1.6.11 starting
101006:111924 Linux version 2.6.26-rt-lab126 (build@ubuntu-jaunty-build-01) (gcc version 4.1.2) #5 Sun Aug 29 19:01:34 PDT 2010
So it appears to me syslog is unable to re-initialise the configuration. There is nothing being logged just prior to syslog restarting that is consistent with the random reboots.

Is anyone who does experience the odd random reboot able to confirm similar logging on their Kindle? Has anyone found going to the preview 3.0.2 fixed any of this?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Hi All,

My K3 wifi has rebooted a few times randomly in the last 2 weeks. The wife's has done it 3 times in the last 5 (so hers isn't an issue). Both are running firmware 3.0.1. I did a ;dumpMessages and looked at the file and notice something rather interesting.

Every so often syslog-ng restarts when the log file exceeds its limit, and upon restart it initialises its configuration

So it appears to me syslog is unable to re-initialise the configuration. There is nothing being logged just prior to syslog restarting that is consistent with the random reboots.

Is anyone who does experience the odd random reboot able to confirm similar logging on their Kindle? Has anyone found going to the preview 3.0.2 fixed any of this?
3.0.1 helped, but my K3 (wifi) did not get completely stable until 3.0.2. It also helped with some slow page turn issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
3.0.1 helped, but my K3 (wifi) did not get completely stable until 3.0.2. It also helped with some slow page turn issues.
So as of 3.0.2 no more random reboots for you?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I seriously doubt syslog-ng would get a nice SIGHUP in case of a crash (or even when doing a hard-reboot for that matter), so syslog-ng probably hasn't much to do with the crashes .

It's probably just coincidental that it happened soon after a log rotation, that's all.

And it's quite possible that in case of a crash, you wouldn't see anything in the logs, because the system crashed before the syslog could dump its buffer in the actual logfile (In which case the only way to actually see an up to date log would be via a live terminal, either a remote shell or a serial console).

The syslog-ng starting & kernel bootlog is a normal boot log output, the 'new configuration initialized' msg is specific to the SIGHUP signal, because that's the point of this signal, making the daemon reload the config (because it changed, or in a case of a syslog, to avoid losing logs because an external tool rotated the logfiles [tinyrot in the Kindle case]).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2010 at 07:01 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I seriously doubt syslog-ng would get a nice SIGHUP in case of a crash (or even when doing a hard-reboot for that matter), so syslog-ng probably hasn't much to do with the crashes .

It's probably just coincidental that it happened soon after a log rotation, that's all.

And it's quite possible that in case of a crash, you wouldn't see anything in the logs, because the system crashed before the syslog could dump its buffer in the actual logfile (In which case the only way to actually see an up to date log would be via a live terminal, either a remote shell or a serial console).

The syslog-ng starting & kernel bootlog is a normal boot log output, the 'new configuration initaliazed' msg is specific to the SIGHUP signal, because that's the point of this signal, making the daemon reload the config (because it changed, or in a case of a syslog, to avoid losing logs because an external tool rotated the logfiles [tinyrot in the Kindle case]).
Well I actually doubt at time of a crash as syslog appears to not actually have restarted successfully that it wouldn't be able to log full stop.

A bit of googling suggested this update did fix some of the rebooting issues some people had reported, so I have just done the update, and we will see how it goes. Hopefully it is a little software issue fixed in the update and not a faulty unit.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been using 3.0.2 since it was available and I have not had a crash or reboot. I do not know about 3.0.0 because as soon as my k3 arrived I put 3.0.1 on it and I believe it was only a couple of days until 3.0.2 preview was available and in updated to it.
And I never had an issue with 3.0.1 either.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Could it be that indexing is the problem? Every new Kindle-owner wants to load his/her book on right away.

I loaded appr. 1800 books on my new Kindle in batches of 2/300. I soon found out, that indexing took a lot of spirit and batterylife out of the Kindle. So I let it stay connected to the PC while doing that and gave it a rest.

Sure, I took the updates as soon as they got out and with every update my Kindle ran smoother.

But in retrospect; I wonder if those crashes and reboots I had in the beginning weren't caused by my loading all these books and the Kindle indexing that load?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That could be I have a netbook that I care with me when I travel that has a folder with most of my ebooks that are sorted into folders by author. That way if I need to add another book to my kindle I connect it by usb and transfer the book or books. I keep only a few books on my kindle. And the ones I do have are in collections. The collection that I most use is Now Reading. Then I have another that is Next to Read. And I do have other collections that are Bible Studies, and Tech References. That is it I keep my book count low on the K3.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
That might be a wise move. I haven't got a netbook though.
Next year I'll be travelling a lot with all my ebooks on the Kindle and not a single 'real' book in my suitcase. And in case of serious need to have a new book; well, Amazon is never far away from my Kindle (I hope). Couldn't be happier.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Well, I just contacted Amazon, they are sending me a replacement out today/tomorrow with a return label. I can't complain at all.

I had pretty much diagnosed everything myself and CS said there was nothing else, so they'd replace it.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
baltasar
baltasar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Hi All,

I am. Random reboots and random forced restarts. I encountered those with 3.0.3 and I got 3.0.4 from Amazon to try after I reported this. Unfortunately I still get these.
baltasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Poll being watched by Amazon

Please vote here on the reboot problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110682

Amazon has been notified of that poll and is watching the results.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote