Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Hmm...

Any thoughts on this:

<meta name="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." scheme="FileAs" content="Lastname, First Middle" />

It's the world's simplest scheme.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

The problem is you can not see what role that the Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq plays? Is he an author? Is he a contributor?

How about the following instead:

<meta name="DC.creator.aut" scheme="FileAs:Lastname, First Middle" content="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." />

I know this is not DC spec but it could be used to create ePub spec which is what is important here.

Checking for scheme on creator and contributor and searching that string for FielAs: and removing that prefix could be easily done.

But this would have to be Valloric's call.

My 2 cents,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #33
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

The problem is you can not see what role that the Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq plays? Is he an author? Is he a contributor?
Shouldn't matter. I see it as information about how to sort the name no matter what role you find it in. Let's say you have the following in your <head>:

Code:
Author
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.aut" content="Dr. First Middle LastName, Esq." />

Illustrator
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.ill" content="Dr. Foist Myrtle LostName, M.D." />

Proofreader
<meta name="DCTERMS.contributor.pfr" content="Herr Doktor Fear St. Muddle Las Nymen" />

Editor
<meta name="DCTERMS.contributor.edt" content="Prof. F. M. Lass-Gnome" />

Cover Designer
<meta name="DCTERMS.creator.cvr" content="Dr. First Middle LastName, Esq." />
And you also have what I suggested above:

Code:
<meta name="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." scheme="FileAs" content="Lastname, First Middle" />
Then you have the file-as attribute for the first and last -- the author and the cover designer (who either have exactly the same name or are the same person) because they are the only ones that match. It's basically metadata about metadata.

Quote:
How about the following instead:

<meta name="DC.creator.aut" scheme="FileAs:Lastname, First Middle" content="Dr. First Middle Lastname, Esq." />

I know this is not DC spec but it could be used to create ePub spec which is what is important here.

Checking for scheme on creator and contributor and searching that string for FielAs: and removing that prefix could be easily done.

But this would have to be Valloric's call.
Hmm... He's already parsing for inverted names. I assume that what you're proposing is sort of sneaking in a second content field?

Is it valid XHTML? And I'm not sure that we should break the DCTERMS spec -- at least where terms that occur in the spec are concerned. Anywhere else is fine.

Isn't it fun being a dork on New Year's Eve?

m a r
Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #34
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
We don't know, and we would have to guess, and no guessing.

Quote:

I like this. It doesn't have to be DC spec, it's still valid in an epub document even as a meta tag, and it's also valid XHTML. Any other DC parser would just use the name and content attributes and ignore the scheme since it couldn't recognize it.

This solution seems rather perfect.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #35
rogue_ronin
Banned

By guessing, do you mean comparing? I was proposing exact matches only.

Nonetheless, if it's valid XHTML, I can pretty easily go along with Kevin's proposal.

I'll mod the list(s) later today. Will it be parsed in Sigil?

m a r
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #36
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
By guessing, do you mean comparing? I was proposing exact matches only.
But you have to take into account the other applications besides Sigil. They will all see it as different metadata, and Kevin's proposal would be parsed as one instance of metadata.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
I'll mod the list(s) later today. Will it be parsed in Sigil?
The lists you wrote before outlining what currently works in Sigil should stay. This new proposal is still merely a proposal and would need to be implemented.

I'm guessing Kevin would like to do this when he finds the time, but that's entirely up to him.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #38
rogue_ronin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
But you have to take into account the other applications besides Sigil. They will all see it as different metadata, and Kevin's proposal would be parsed as one instance of metadata.
I thought I had. It would simply be custom metadata, in (presumably) proper XHTML.

It might not recognize it, as in the example Kevin proposed, but it wouldn't break anything. I actually thought it was sort of elegant -- but I'm no expert.

I think, though, that I understand your implied point: since it won't be recognized either way, just use a single tag.

I'll update the proposed list; let me know when the Sigil list needs updating, and I'll take care of it.

Thanks!

m a r
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #39
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Doubt

Thanks for the list it is very useful. I don't have problems with the syntax but with the "meaning" of the metadata field sometimes. I mean which is the proper kind of information to be included in each field because sometimes I find the definition somehow confusing.

For example, I keep a version tracking of my ePUBs which I try to enhance.
Which field would the most appropiate to keep that version info?

I use the date as version number: 20101011 (made this year in Oct, the eleventh)
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dublin core, epub, howto, metadata, xhtml