Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Goodread's review of the Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ok-odyssey-hd/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
For me, this was the device that could have been a great contender to the T2. While I liked a lot about it, the web browser was such a let down that I ended up returning it.

With a better and fast browser, cookie support and a cursor, it would have been a great reader for direct access to library books.

I added this comment to the site as well. I wish they had addressed this (the quality of the browser) and the inconvenient way to even turn on the light in their review.

Last edited by xendula; 01-17-2013 at 08:51 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Like most reviews, it doesn't mention the things that are important to me: whether you can control margins or line-spacing; whether there is a status-bar while reading, how large it is, whether it's possible to disable it; whether it displays ligatures and obeys kerning in fonts; whether it supports right-to-left writing; whether you can zoom pictures included in an ePub; etc.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most reviews of Readers are worthless. They don't actually review what's most important. They don't review how good (or not) the reading software is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
For me, this was the device that could have been a great contender to the T2. While I liked a lot about it, the web browser was such a let down that I ended up returning it.

With a better and fast browser, cookie support and a cursor, it would have been a great reader for direct access to library books.

I added this comment to the site as well. I wish they had addressed this (the quality of the browser) and the inconvenient way to even turn on the light in their review.
Your comment about how to turn on the light is answered on that site but I will repeat it here in case anyone else are wondering.

You do not have to enter any menus to turn on the light, just hold the home button for a couple of seconds and it will turn on automatically. It will also display the menu so that you can adjust the intensity without having to trouble yourself with entering the menu manually. Touch X to close - good to go.

For me, personally, the web browser is a non-issue. I have never had any reason to even open it. My phone performs alot better in that area.
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I returned mine ufortunately. I love new gadgets so to return a brand new ereader with all the bells and whistles was already sad (I was going through withdrawals afterwards). Unfortunately mine developed 4 bright pinholes (pixels through which light was coming) within 24 hours of first use. I am sensitive to light, much more than average person (I suspect) so I found myself squinting at it even at the lowest light level. Back to my very basic but cute and user friendly Opus. To cheer myself up I ordered a new skin for it from decalgirl.
I must admit though that it was easy to download a book I bought via ipad, through Odyssey browser. I miss that on Opus.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Your comment about how to turn on the light is answered on that site but I will repeat it here in case anyone else are wondering.

You do not have to enter any menus to turn on the light, just hold the home button for a couple of seconds and it will turn on automatically. It will also display the menu so that you can adjust the intensity without having to trouble yourself with entering the menu manually. Touch X to close - good to go.

For me, personally, the web browser is a non-issue. I have never had any reason to even open it. My phone performs alot better in that area.
I did not know about the lighting and do not recall seeing this info on the quick start guide.

I really only got it so I could download library books onto it without the need of a computer, which is what I needed the browser to work for. I did not expect it to perform like Safari on my iPad, but I hoped it would perform like the browser on the kindle PW:no bells and whistles, but seriously no cursor?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I did not know about the lighting and do not recall seeing this info on the quick start guide.

I really only got it so I could download library books onto it without the need of a computer, which is what I needed the browser to work for. I did not expect it to perform like Safari on my iPad, but I hoped it would perform like the browser on the kindle PW:no bells and whistles, but seriously no cursor?
Yup, it would be nice if you could use the browser to download books without pulling your hairs out.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Amybe you should also read this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200595
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

^ No need. I already returned it since it did not serve my purposes at all in the end. I needed for the web browser to work.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I'd like to point out, this is NOT Goodreads review.

This is Good EREADER review. There is a BIG difference!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Whoops! Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I'd like to point out, this is NOT Goodreads review.

This is Good EREADER review. There is a BIG difference!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote