Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
parka
parka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Selecting text for Japanese dictionary

Hi,

Need some help here.

I copied and saved some Japanese text as a txt file format into the Kindle Paperwhite.

When I tried to select individual words, the Kindle would select the whole paragraph instead. As a result, I can't check the meanings of the words. It calls up the correct Japanese-to-English dictionary though.

---

I've tried converting the txt file into a mobi file. When I select individual words, the Kindle doesn't know what language that is and hence can't call up the dictionary.

---

Anyone has experience or ideas on how to solve this?
parka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by parka View Post
Hi,

Need some help here.

I copied and saved some Japanese text as a txt file format into the Kindle Paperwhite.

When I tried to select individual words, the Kindle would select the whole paragraph instead. As a result, I can't check the meanings of the words. It calls up the correct Japanese-to-English dictionary though.

---

I've tried converting the txt file into a mobi file. When I select individual words, the Kindle doesn't know what language that is and hence can't call up the dictionary.

---

Anyone has experience or ideas on how to solve this?
The metadata of your mobi has to be set to the proper language for the corresponding dictionary to be called up. You can use gluggy's Java Mobi Metadata Editor to set your book language to ja.

I tried with the book Yujo by Saneatsu Mushanokoji (attached below, obtained from Project Gutemberg and having the japanese language in its metadata) I was expecting my Kindle for PC v1.10 to automatically download the japanese dictionary upon searching a word. Pityfully it didn't, probably because I only have a Kindle Keyboard registered and the two Japanese dictionaries (translations and definitions) are only offered to Kindle Paperwite registered users.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip1.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	99325

Sorry, couldn't test further your word/paragraph selection problem. Arrgh, if only a deDRMed version of these dictionaries was available!
Attached Files
File Type: mobi ja(17 Japonais_Japon) Yujo by Saneatsu Mushanokoji.mobi (216.2 KB, 262 views)
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
parka
parka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks very much.

I managed to change the metadata using Calibre.

Here's the solution for others with the same problem:

In this case, using Calibre, before converting, just edit the metadata and set the language to Japanese. This step wasn't available from the conversion settings dialogue box, so it had to be done prior to conversion. After conversion, the Kindle will be able to recognise the text as Japanese text.
parka is offline   Reply With Quote