Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Exclamation FBReader 0.7 released with Plucker support

A new version of FBReader has been released and you can download it from a new place. I'm very sorry for not providing packages for the Nokia 770 yet... I was quite busy as of late.

New features in version 0.7 include:
  • support for new file formats (plucker, ztxt, palmdoc)
  • scrolling with overlaps
  • configurable keybindings

Currently FBReader works on Sharp Zaurus with Qtopia-based ROMs and pdaXrom, Siemens Simpad with Opensimpad 0.9.0/Opie ROM and Linux desktops. A port for the Maemo platform is under development.

Last edited by MishaS; 10-27-2005 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added important features
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This is good news, Misha. Congratulations! Adding those additional formats should make FBReader even more flexible as a reader.

I take it that images in html are still not handled though? What about images in Plucker files -- are those OK?

Roger

Last edited by rsperberg; 10-27-2005 at 08:07 PM.
rsperberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperberg
This is good news, Misha. Congratulations! Adding those additional formats should make FBReader even more flexible as a reader.
Thank you
Quote:
I take it that images in html are still not handled though? What about images in Plucker files -- are those OK?
No, images are not supported for HTML. As for images in Plucker files, we were loading various files to see how it works and it seemed to be quite OK. Feedback from users will show what is the actual situation

Last edited by MishaS; 10-30-2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: revising the statement after author's request
Old 10-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Misha, let's talk about supporting some real mobile devices here, like powered with Windows Mobile (ok, I am hiding behind the tree now).

Any plans, and if yes, ETA?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Misha, let's talk about supporting some real mobile devices here, like powered with Windows Mobile (ok, I am hiding behind the tree now).
I'm not sure what you mean under real mobile devices. My Nokia 770 is pretty much mobile.

Well, seriously, as for Windows Mobile, there're not ETA yet. To quote the author "A Windows Mobile port is not reasonable enough -- there's quite a bit of readers for that platform, while FBReader does not have enough features".

I'd say it's certainly not going to happen this year
Advert
Old 11-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
rsperberg
Zealot

Experimenting with the Plucker viewer on the Nokia 770, I learned that it cannot display the full contents of Plucker pdb files made from a single long file. (If you break it up into smaller pieces and link them, no problem.)

I wondered whether FBReader has any problems with such files . . . for instance, if you download the Project Gutenberg Plucker version of Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha, at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2500, are you able to read to the end?

Thanks,

Roger Sperberg
Old 11-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsperberg
I wondered whether FBReader has any problems with such files . . . for instance, if you download the Project Gutenberg Plucker version of Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha, at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2500, are you able to read to the end?
I saw your message and tried the file. It worked OK, while it hit a bug in FBReader, which is now fixed.

I hope you will be able to try it yourself soon.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #8
rsperberg
Zealot

I've been able to try out the FBReader for Nokia 770 the last couple days. it's pretty terrific. And it installed easily.

I will be working up documentation on how to use FBReader, and prepatory to doing that I made some screen captures of the program to get a sense of how much text you can see on-screen, as well as how useful the portrait mode is (very).

You can view these captures at topicalweb.com/making-ebooks/fbreader-captures.htm

I'm traveling, so I won't be able to post more on this till the weekend or after.

Roger