Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
dagardner105
dagardner105 began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Handwriting etc

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a device that is primarily for notetaking with some ebook reader. I have tried Tablets but it didn't work out (too long to boot, battery life, need to take charger everywhere), digital pens like Livescribe and even the Digimemo. What I really need is a Iliad or PRS700 type device with a good handwriting experience.

I take copious notes daily in my job and do it on Moleskin notebooks. I frequently check back to previous meetings etc to check notes so I need something with me rather than transferred and left on a PC. Obviously, the downside is the problem with having to retype some notes and the fact I have 15 old notebooks sat on my shelf behind my desk just in case i need to look back.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the Iliad or other ebook reader can do this? My priorities are:
  • Natural handwritting/notetaking (70%) weighting. Having an electronic version of my natural handwritten notes is more important than handwritting recognition and conversion.
  • Ebook reading (for personal reading - novels etc rather than PDFs) (20% weighting)
  • WiFi (10% weighting)

Hope you can help. I know this Forum is more about Reading but i can't find a MobiWrite equivalent.

Kind regards

David
dagardner105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Now I'm no expert, but my understanding of the PRS 700 touchscreen, is that when you want to annotate something you're provided with an on-screen keyboard - no handwriting allowed.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong people
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
dagardner105

Well that's out then. I'd rather jab my eyes out with a ham baguette than use an onscreen keyboard!

Looks like Iliad or paper then. Been a bit scared off by all the bad threads about it though.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Semantic
Semantic began at the beginning.

Device: T2010
Have you tried the Fujitsu T2010 tablet? Battery life is around 9 hours on mine and loads from standby in seconds. If you scan or photograph your old journals into evernote (or onenote) you'll get portable handwriting recognition too, which could be handy.

Having said that, I'm going to give the irex digital reader or iliad a try, 3.5lbs is ok, but 1.3lbs is better!

I'm hoping the next generation of e-ink devices with 3g connections can work with the mobile web version of evernote, could make for handy mix.
Semantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
dagardner105

I had a look but I carry my laptop to some meetings anyway so need a more book like form factor (depth is important). I looked at the Stylistic slate only tablets too.

Irex seems to be the only candidate but their response to be yesterday (to my email query) was very non-committal and seemed to abdicate responsibility for its effectiveness. Not encouraging especially given the huge amount of negativity about bug software and stylus lag during notetaking.

My heart says give it a go, my head says avoid!
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagardner105 View Post
Well that's out then. I'd rather jab my eyes out with a ham baguette than use an onscreen keyboard!

Looks like Iliad or paper then. Been a bit scared off by all the bad threads about it though.
I know this is an old thread but while researching the Livescribe system I happened across yours...and OMG, THAT is the best analogy I've read in a LOOOONG time...I will probably co-opt it more than once over the years...just tooo freaking funny!! Especially since I feel EXACTLY the same way but never thought to express it so well. I have a Nokia N800 which has an on-screen keyboard and it's AWFUL. So awful I bought an iGo bluetooth portable folding keyboard which is just north of awful but better than on-screen.

Thanks!!

Oh, if you ever come back to this thread, what did you not like about the Livescribe, beyond the cost I mean...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handwriting, moleskin, notetaking