Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Diffraction
Diffraction began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Best battery life

Hello all,

I am in the market for my first eBook, because I really like the idea of having my books in an electronic format altogether.
I have read lots about advantages/disadvantages of Sony/Cybook/Hanlin clones. I do not care much about the dictonary lookup of the Cybook, but the visualisation abilities (fonts/formatting) also seem to be better. Hanlin has better folder control. Sony has grayscale.
I will mostly use Gutenberg books, so Mobi or the irl format are equal to me.

So, one of the big questions in conjunction with a recent thread is (Cybook power consumption per firmware) - with the newest firmware, which book takes the least power per page flip and per day of standby.

Thanks,
D.
Diffraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I believe for most people the Sony PRS505 is the least power hungry. However we are talking weeks so it doesn't matter for most folks. I have heard that people get 3 weeks on their Sony device and a couple of weeks on their Cybook.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I generally got about 2-3 days with Cybook, although I had it on standby at all times, since I didn't like how long it took to start up. It's not ideal, but it's not bad if you get into the habit of plugging it in every night. The biggest drawback is that when the Cybook is charging, it can't be read - I'm not sure if that's the case with the Sony.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I usually can go a week or 2 with my cybook reading at least 3 hrs every day. I turn it off when I know I won't be reading again for more than an hour, I have it set to auto turn off after an hour if I misjudge the timing. I usually end up adding a new book at least once a week and let it fully charge at that time, this means I rarely get below 50% available battery.

My Cybook was great for my 7 day camping vacation with no charging options. I arrived with 100% available battery and left with 40% battery available. I read 1.5 books while I was camping and only needed the one eBook reading device.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
The Sony allows you to put the device in standby mode when not reading. Coming out of standby mode takes less than 2 seconds. I use standby mode exclusively and only need to charge the battery once every 3 weeks (about 1 hour of reading a day).

Since you are reading Gutenberg books, there are a lot of titles here formatted specifically for the most popular devices and their dominant format.

Just a matter of finding the device that works for your needs.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Not sure if the Sony has a user changeable battery. I have a spare for my Cybook which I can change to in an emergency. It is tiny so I carry it around with me pretty much all the time. I used to have an Iliad and that device has not got good battery life.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlin has a longer battery life than the Cybook, probably about the same as the Sony (I'm not sure anyone has ever done a direct comparison). Like the Sony, there is no need to turn off the Hanlin. The Hanlin uses a replaceable Nokia compatible cell phone battery.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's important to understand that the Sony and the CyBook use their battery in very different ways.

When used for reading, both devices use pretty much the same amount of power.

When you "turn off" the Sony, it doesn't turn off, but just goes into a "sleep mode" in which it continues to use a small amount of power. It will drain a fully-charged battery in around 2.5-3 weeks in this mode if not used. It "starts up" very quickly in this mode - in about 2 seconds. There is a menu item which will genuinely power it off, but startup "from cold" generally takes a couple of minutes, depending how many books you have on the machine.

With the CyBook, on the other hand, when you turn it off, it genuinely does turn off, and uses no battery power, other than the normal slow discharge of any Lithium Ion battery. You can leave it for a month, and it will have pretty much the same battery charge, when you turn it on, as it did when it was switched off. However, the consequence of this is that it "boots" every time you turn it on, and that takes about 25-30 seconds.

If you leave the CyBook turned on - which some people prefer to do - a battery charge will last about 4 days. A good compromise is to switch it off at night, but leave it turned on during the day if you know that you'll be reading in several sessions. There's a useful "auto power-off" facility to aid you with this, which you can configure to switch the machine off after a period of inactivity ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours (or disable it altogether).

Both machines, however, have battery lives which are sufficiently long that for most people it is a complete non-issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Not sure if the Sony has a user changeable battery.
It doesn't. The CyBook, Hanlin, BeBook, etc, all do.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you leave the CyBook turned on - which some people prefer to do - a battery charge will last about 4 days.
It you are not doing any reading. And it is nearly 4 days. As reported above the time when reading is 2-3 days.

If this is an issue or not depend is very personal. That is do you mind always having to think about remembering to charge the book or not.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
How is it possible that there is a 10 times longer battery-life for the BeBook compared to the CyBook.
Both are 6'' e-inkt-screens with a little electronics, but the nokia-battery keeps the BeBook alive for 4 weeks where the CyBook is dead in 3 or 4 days.

Is the nokia-battery so much better than the Li-Ion-battery the CyBook uses?
I can believe there is difference in power-management but that big a difference in two comparable devices? Is CyBook doing something wrong??

ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If anyone does decide to get a BeBook, please use the email code jswolf@gmail.com. Thank you very much!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I can believe there is difference in power-management but that big a difference in two comparable devices? Is CyBook doing something wrong??
It's not the battery - it's definitely the power management. It looks as though the beBook is doing some kind of "suspend to RAM" operation after a certain amount of inactivity. Damned clever, whatever it is!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Yes, the Cybook power management implementation seems to be "wrong" with todays standards. And most annoyingly, for the first firmware of the Cybook you got nearly a week uptime.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, the BeBook has impressive powermanagement. I had mine lying around for about 3 weeks and its still 2 bars of 4 left. Thats really impressive. It seems to last longer than the sony even. (unused in standby that is)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote