Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
amb
amb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 (keyboard), boox M92
Future of M92

Hello,

Does anybody know if there will be a "refresh" to M92 ?
Like better specs or bigger screen (i.e. M94).

I am considering to buy it (from booxtor since I'm in EU) but I wonder if onyx would create a new reader (like the transition: M90 -> M92).

Also Plastic Logic would release a new reader screen in a couple of months, so a whole batch of big screen readers would be released to the market (maybe).

I was also considering jetbook color 2 but I find it too pricey.
amb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Onyx is working on the multitasking for the M92, they have suspend the port of Android.
For Booxtor there is nothing else than the M92 for the moment.
The ereader with a big screen is a too small market.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I think onyx was planning to launch a device similar in size to m92 but with android and frontlit display. Since android seems to be causing a problem, I don't think that they will be able to launch it in near future.

Also, can you post the link about plastic logic's release. I haven't heard anything about it.

Jetbook color 2 would be a bad product imo because of firmware. Better product would be upcoming pocketbook color ereader.

Last edited by Feher; 04-11-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Onyx still working on Android but probably for new models only. According to russian seller new models are expected but there is no details. I don't think will be bigger screen probably smaller 8 inches instead of 9,7 but this is just my groundless opinion.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
amb

I can't seem to find the video. I think it is from CES 2013.
It was a couple of minutes long and one person from plastic logic said the technology will be available this year (he was referring to a screen about 10 inch or so).
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
amb

Since Android is based on a java virtual machine (Dalvik) it might be slower with the same specs as M92. Because of this I think they might release a new one, if they are working on it.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
A e-ink color screen would be fun.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb View Post
I can't seem to find the video. I think it is from CES 2013.
It was a couple of minutes long and one person from plastic logic said the technology will be available this year (he was referring to a screen about 10 inch or so).
Thanks for replying.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post

Also, can you post the link about plastic logic's release. I haven't heard anything about it.

Jetbook color 2 would be a bad product imo because of firmware. Better product would be upcoming pocketbook color ereader.
Could be any other manufacturer though, with plastic logic's screens in it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=197

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/i...n-8567448.html

Last edited by markom; 04-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
amb

It's from this link (the lady it saying at the end):

http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/?it...MxNjAxNDcwMQ==

Now we have to wait and see if we get any big screen e-reader
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the link. It doesn't necessarily mean large format plastic displays.

"[...] we don't have to wait five to ten years for this, right?"
"No, luckily we don't. So you'll be seeing the first products containing and enabled by our plastic displays in the first half of this year."

But whether that's large screen displays, or wrist band displays or something else wasn't explicit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For instance, the latest news out of Plastic Logic is about a smart watch/heart monitor.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/?it...MxMjAzMzUwMQ==
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks for the link. It doesn't necessarily mean large format plastic displays.

"[...] we don't have to wait five to ten years for this, right?"
"No, luckily we don't. So you'll be seeing the first products containing and enabled by our plastic displays in the first half of this year."

But whether that's large screen displays, or wrist band displays or something else wasn't explicit.
large displays, although at first probably for bus and tram-stations, show-windows etc. only

http://www.slashgear.com/plastic-log...able-28266936/

Last edited by markom; 04-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Onyx is working on the multitasking for the M92, they have suspend the port of Android.
For Booxtor there is nothing else than the M92 for the moment.
The ereader with a big screen is a too small market.
I've had the M92 for about a year and what I've noticed is the newer firmware has improved the operation of both the M92 and i62HD. The new .pdf reader has come a long way and still needs a little improvement in hightlighting (having "handles", like in manual margins, to position the beginning and ending of highlighting) and the .epub reading capability needs improvement with handling sizing and changing of fonts and margins.

The multitasking should be a big improvement as well. In terms of M92 hardware, a faster processor would always be nice, and definitely that front lit screen like the Firefly.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
the resolution of the m92 seem low compare to some of the newer HD readers on the market.
After all, at 9.7 inches, it's only got resolution around my 5.5 inches galaxy note 2. It's PPI of 150 is extremely low by today's standard.

Hope they release a refresh with a higher resolution, Android OS.

Last edited by FinancialWar; 04-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote