Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
i62 HD questions

Hello all, I am one of the winners of the Mystery Contest and I received the i62HD. Since I was notified of my prize I have been reading this forum so I could be ready when it arrived.

I received my i62HD this week and have been eagerly trying to learn all aspects. I have a few question for the forum:

1. For the mods: It would help if you created the subcategories like in Sony and others so that the comments here could select which device they have. I have been very confused between the i62 Firefly, the i62ML, the i62HD, and then there is the m92 which has it's own comments.

2. Though all the info I have read says the manual would be included on the reader, I did not receive the full manual. I have not been able to find one on-line. Was I suppose to get it on the system, and is there a link to one (in English) that I could download?

3. After much confusion, I realize that the i62HD does NOT have the glow screen, is this correct?

4. My main page has something called "Shortcuts" which is empty, and I don't know what it's for. Does anyone have any information on this?

5. On the sticky forum about the updates, I am very confused as to which ones should be used on the i62HD. I have version 1.7. I'm not sure I want to update untill I have learned this one throughly. I see that Booxtor has kept the first comment current with the latest updates, but I'm still confused. (See the Astak sticky comment where I listed all the updates for the Astak Pocket Pro)

On the positive note, I LOVE the way the books can be arranged in folders on the file system. This is what everyone seems to want, but the other ereaders I have do not do.

If I could get some insights to my questions above I would be very grateful.

AJ Starr

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-10-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fix wrong info
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Hello all, I am one of the winners of the Mystery Contest and I received the i62HD. Since I was notified of my prize I have been reading this forum so I could be ready when it arrived.
Congratulation on your new reader and I'm glad that everything went well with the shipping!
I will try to answer some of your questions. But I have already updated to firmware 1.8. I hope that it will apply nevertheless.

Quote:
2. Though all the info I have read says the manual would be included on the reader, I did not receive the full manual. I have not been able to find one on-line. Was I suppose to get it on the system, and is there a link to one (in English) that I could download?
On my device there was only a manual for the Boox A62, firmware 1.6. The biggest difference is that the A62 didn't have a touchscreen. You find it under "Settings" on the second page.

Quote:
3. After much confusion, I realize that the i62HD does NOT have the glow screen, is this correct?
Yes. The glow version is the "Firefly".

Quote:
4. My main page has something called "Shortcuts" which is empty, and I don't know what it's for. Does anyone have any information on this?
This may make sense when you're reading more than three books simultaneously, it then offers a shorter way to find the books that are not in the top of the screen. If your "cursor" is "standing" on a book (easiest after opening and then closing it) you can open the menu (symbol in the left bottom corner) and then "Create shortcut".

Quote:
5. On the sticky forum about the updates, I am very confused as to which ones should be used on the i62HD. I have version 1.7. I'm not sure I want to update untill I have learned this one throughly. I see that Booxtor has kept the first comment current with the latest updates, but I'm still confused. (See the Astak sticky comment where I listed all the updates for the Astak Pocket Pro)
Yes, the i62hd, not the firefly.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick reply, Billi, I'll try some of these out.

AJ

Just ran through some items:

No, no manual anywhere. However, on the 2nd screen Settings where there is "About", choosing it brings up 4 items of "Abouts". I was looking for the manual so I hit "page forward" and found about 7 pages of the "credits" of all the different software used. Including the last one where it says use this link for source code.

I went through 5 or 6 books, opened them and checked the menu inside the book. No selection for making a shortcut. Back at the main screen, the shortcut is still empty. Must be a ver 1.8 capability. I'm looking forward to seeing it when I update. However, the selection Recent Documents on the main screen functions like you described. Is there a "Recent Documents" in the ver 1.8?

question:

Is there the DRM Setting selection in the Settings? It asks for User ID and password. Is this for Adobe, or some other DRM scheme?

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I went through 5 or 6 books, opened them and checked the menu inside the book. No selection for making a shortcut. Back at the main screen, the shortcut is still empty. Must be a ver 1.8 capability. I'm looking forward to seeing it when I update. However, the selection Recent Documents on the main screen functions like you described. Is there a "Recent Documents" in the ver 1.8?
Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean the menu inside the book. When you've closed a book but the book is still marked then open the menu and under "files" there is the option "Create shortcut".
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean the menu inside the book. When you've closed a book but the book is still marked then open the menu and under "files" there is the option "Create shortcut".

I tried what you said, and still no success. I found two ways to close the book, with the physical button, and pulling up the menu and use the "close" selection. Neither with the menu open in the book, or open after the book closes do I find any selection that says "file" or "shortcut". I thought maybe it was one of the other programs, since I had selected Coolreader for my epubs. So I selected FBreader and PDFreader, neither of them worked.

Maybe it doesn't work for epubs, which is all I've read. Or maybe it is a function of ver 1.8. Either way, I'll keep an eye out for it when I go through the menus.

Thanks for the help.

AJ

IGNORE ABOVE ANSWER, REPLACE WITH THIS.....

I reread my original statement and saw where "I" used the term "file" system. So I went to that page (Internal versus SD card), opened the book, closed it, and checked the menu. YES, it has the "File" selection, and under it is the "Create Shortcut". And sure enough under "Shortcuts" on the main menu, there is my shortcut.

Thanks loads, Billi, for solving this question.

AJ

Last edited by AJ Starr; 02-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru

Another question, please...

In version 1.8, do we still have the TTS (Text to Speech)? That is very important to me, since I listen to audio books a lot (bad eyesight). Currently, for those books I can't buy in audio, I convert with a small TTS software I have.

I was thrilled to see the i62HD has TTS, and I have already tried it out. The voice is on par with and even better than what I use, so I'll be using it frequently.

AJ
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard

Yes, TTS is still there.

Glad the shortcuts work now. I know I didn't explain it best but I couldn't do it any better. The problem is that the curser has to be on the closed book but you can't achieve this with your finger because this would open the book. This function was easier to access on the pre-Touch readers.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
1. For the mods: It would help if you created the subcategories like in Sony and others so that the comments here could select which device they have.
Hello,

The devices are so similar that what is usable for one could be used for an other. It's the case of the PDF reader with the M92 and the i62. I find useful to read all posts, per example, for the explanation of the "shortcut" like here. I'm not sure that is necessary to separate the devices.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

The devices are so similar that what is usable for one could be used for an other. It's the case of the PDF reader with the M92 and the i62. I find useful to read all posts, per example, for the explanation of the "shortcut" like here. I'm not sure that is necessary to separate the devices.
Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware that the m92 helps and info were applicable to the i62's. I was thinking along the lines of the updates, which, mostly are not interchangeable. I guess I'll browse some of the m92 threads now.

AJ
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13

If anyone knows the Russian language, you can use the owner's manual for the "New PDF-reader." Suggestions for improvement are welcome.
Download here

Если кто знает русский язык, то может воспользоваться руководством пользователя для программы "Новый PDF-ридер". Предложения по улучшению приветствуются.
Скачать тут
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote