Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
aguaKate
aguaKate began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Boox M92
Questions from a student about the M92

Hello all! I am considering purchasing a m92 and this looks like the place to get some of the feedback. I LOVE my full sized entourage edge (EE), but I also crave the portability and above all, the beautiful pearl screen of the m92. The edge has a first gen screen.

I am a doctoral student, so reading and marking up pdfs is pretty much my life. With the amount I read, eink is a must. After a few hours my eyes cross and blur in front of an lcd, so for those kind folks who respond to all students that the only option is an ipad, I thank you but decline in advance.

The edge has so many brilliant features for students, but it also has a couple drawbacks, the biggest of which the company is out of business. I know that the m92 can’t replace all of these features that are possible with the dual screen of the edge, but I was wondering if any of you could speak to whether it can fulfill a couple of my basic wishes (beyond, obviously, the beautiful, high contrast screen I’m sure it has)

1. (the big one) How well does it work for saving annotated documents to be viewed on another device/computer? My big wish would be to have Dropbox (or some similarly awesome cloud service) integration such that I could easily sync changes to an annotated copy to Dropbox. Sync-ability is my top wish, and if it does this well, I can overlook a lot of other foibles. My edge requires a new, flattened copy to be exported anytime you want to update it on the computer. It’s a bit slow, and not really practical. If syncing isn't yet an option, how fast/easy is it to move annotated copies around at this point?

2. Would its file manager work easily for organizing documents by class/subject?

I plan on keeping one of my EEs, but will sell the other one if it looks like the M92 will offer enough mobility for my pdfs. I love that the M92 is being updated regularly by a passionate developer community, so any info about annotation syncing updates we might be able to expect soon would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Philly!

Last edited by aguaKate; 12-15-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: was too long
aguaKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
ExH
E x H
ExH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi aguaKate,

I'm also a grad student in the States, and purchased an M92 (from http://ereader-store.de/) about two months ago expressly for its superior PDF handling (for an ebook reader). I've not been disappointed. The firmware is a little buggy here and there, but updated quite frequently with bug fixes and new features as you noted.

I've not yet used the annotations feature on PDFs, just the scribble feature, so I can't really address that part of your first question. I would also really like Dropbox-like wireless syncing, a feature that's allegedly in the works (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178850).

As for your second question, I can vouch from personal experience that it's quite easy to use the device to create (nested) folders for sorting by subject, class, etc. The default firmware works fine for this, though there is a nice 3rd-party file manager (OTFM) available for free that can be handy. If all else fails, when you connect the device to a computer (Windows or Linux), it shows up as two remote drives (the internal memory, and the SD card if present), so you can use whatever file management software you like on your computer.
ExH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
aguaKate
aguaKate began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Boox M92
Hi ExH,
Thanks so much for your response! It's great to hear from another student's experience. It sounds like it will do the trick and - especially important - keep improving. One other quick question, if you happen to check back: when you export the copy with the scribbles, does it export pretty quickly? Or have you not done that yet?

Thanks again!
aguaKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
ExH
E x H

I don't recall, so let me try. I have a 2.5MB (17 page) PDF of supplementary lecture notes that I've added "scribbles" to on 4 pages, and a little highlighting to on one page. Admittedly this isn't all that much. Exporting takes 7-8 seconds. For me this is fast enough, and I'm able to view the updated file in Adobe Reader without any problems.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
depends on the complexity of pdf
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguaKate View Post
Hi ExH,
Thanks so much for your response! It's great to hear from another student's experience. It sounds like it will do the trick and - especially important - keep improving. One other quick question, if you happen to check back: when you export the copy with the scribbles, does it export pretty quickly? Or have you not done that yet?

Thanks again!
I did that on many documents, including scanned books/papers. Most of the time it worked rather quickly. I'd say export time is proportional to the size of the file and the number of scribbles.

Be aware though that *unless this has been fixed*, reading annotated documents on a PC is not straightforward - you need to convert the pdf file first, using software like Xournal (last time I looked at it, which is fairly long time, annotations were not visible in regular pdf readers).
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
ExH
E x H

That's a good point. The PDF I used did have quite a few graphs, so that may have slowed things down.

Tags
annotation, education, school, synchronization