Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Question Horizontal and Vertical Texts Displayed

Has anyone here been successful in displaying blocks of text in "horizontal" and "vertical" direction on the same page?

I have some success in displaying in "vertical-right-to-left" in a page but when I need to combine it with a "horizontal-left-to-right" block I'm getting stumped.

I'm using the epub3 CSS code of "-epub-writing-mode" to be able to display the characters vertical in right to left direction.

Here's a screenshot of the page via KindlePreviewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_VRtoL.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	96975  
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that the two cannot be combined on a single page. It would be a horrendous task for the rendering engine to have to try and deal with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect that Harry is exactly correct. I know of no way that this can be done easily. However you could place an image on the screen and place the text in that image. Otherwise you could build a table, embed fonts in the document where the fonts were hand built rotated characters and then use these fonts to simulate rotated text. I suspect you would need to use fixed page sizes to make this work.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Thanks! HarryT and DaleDe seems I'm forced to use images for the "horizontally" displayed text since it would be too much trouble to hand rotate each character.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote