Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
HiTechBiniou
HiTechBiniou began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobile domain names

Hi,

My first post here. I was searching for answer about choosing the right domain name for our site's mobile version. I was sent here but I don't know if I'm in the right place to ask this kind of question. Anyway, here it is.

I was doing a keyword research for one of my client and found something special using Google's Keyword Tool.

The keywords for desktops is completely different from the keywords coming from mobile devices. Without giving you the exact terms/niche it goes something like this:

mainkeywordrichdomainname.com for desktop searches.
urgencywhattodo.com for mobile keyword searches.

So, is it OK to use the first for main regular website name and for the mobile version, use a completely different domain name like above?

I know the accepted standard is:

mainkeywordrichdomainname.com for desktop version.
m.mainkeywordrichdomainname.com for mobile version.

Can someone here answer this for me? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance for any
HiTechBiniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
There's certainly no technical reason you have to use the same domain for both. You could easily do some kind of browser detect on each to offer a redirect to the site designed for a particular browser/OS, even.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It's easier for people to remember one domain name than two.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's easier for people to remember one domain name than two.
I'm wondering how often people actually type in a full URL on their mobile devices. (Or on their desktop, for that matter.) I just use bookmarks on my nook. I suppose there are sites that people got to on both desktops and mobile devices.

But a point to consider.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
HiTechBiniou

Thank you Taustin and susan.

My point is very specific.

We all have the reflex to assign an "m" before the main domain name to put the mobile version of our site but in the "real" world I think it is counter-productive.

Every SEO expert will repeat that your domain name need to be targeted to your main keyword. The problem is that for a given business, the keywords for desktop devices ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the keywords for the mobile devices.

Do the experiment for yourself in Google. Do a keyword research for desktop and then change the results for mobile devices and you'll see the difference. Obviously this goes for Local business and it wont matter that much for let's say an Internet Marketing money making business/site.

But for any other locally oriented business like locksmith, plumber, electrician, etc. IT DOES MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Case study:

Bob is sitting at his desktop computer fooling around browsing the Internet. Then he think that his house will need eventually a complete plumbing job. So he then search for a local plumber with keywords like: "Austin plumbers" "general plumbing in Austin" "plumbing companies in Texas" and the like...

The same Bob is on a party 40 miles from his own house. His wife calls him on his smart phone: "Honey, there is a flood castastrophy on the second floor! The ceiling from the first floor is wet and it might fall apart in the living room! I need help! What am I going to do???"

Bob's answer: "Calm down honey, I will find an urgency plumber that will go and help you right away"

So Bob searches the Internet with keywords like: "urgency plumbing" "urgency plumbing Austin" etc.

Those keywords are COMPLETELY different as you can see so why not take advantage of this?

Logically, an Austin plumber would benefit from targeting two different domain names for his business:

bestaustinplumber.com for desktop
johnsmithplumbing.com for desktop = branding (if he'd rather focus on a branding name)

austinurgencyplumbing.mobi for mobile devices
austinplumber24h.mobi for mobile devices

You get the picture.

Obviously taustin, there will either be a script redirect or a Wordpress plugin redirect but this is not the subject of this tread.

What do you think?
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard

You know, there really isn't any reason why you can't do both. Have a different name for the mobile site, and also have m.whatever point to the same place.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
HiTechBiniou

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
You know, there really isn't any reason why you can't do both. Have a different name for the mobile site, and also have m.whatever point to the same place.
Yes taustin, I have thought about this too. Might be a good idea since my client would benefit from different sources of leads.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechBiniou View Post
Every SEO expert will repeat that your domain name need to be targeted to your main keyword. The problem is that for a given business, the keywords for desktop devices ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the keywords for the mobile devices.
On the other hand, every SEO expert will tell you that you must avoid duplicating content. If desktop and mobile site contain the same content, then you will need to take extra care so that Google doesn't penalize both sites at the end.

What I can also think of: Cross-domain issues may arise when you work with user sessions (cookies don't carry over). If you want a user to stay logged in going from domain A to domain B, it requires extra work.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
HiTechBiniou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
On the other hand, every SEO expert will tell you that you must avoid duplicating content. If desktop and mobile site contain the same content, then you will need to take extra care so that Google doesn't penalize both sites at the end.

What I can also think of: Cross-domain issues may arise when you work with user sessions (cookies don't carry over). If you want a user to stay logged in going from domain A to domain B, it requires extra work.
Good point but for sure NEVER DUPLICATE YOUR MAIN DOMAIN CONTENT TO YOUR MOBILE SITE.

The cookie thing is very cleaver. I will investigate further. Thanks Alexander.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I would suggest you have a main site for branding purpose (one- or two-word, easy to remember, and pass the Siri test etc), then corner the space of your business by buying up domain names in that space to send traffic back to the main site. On your main site, use device detection and CSS3 to decide what content and display format to use to deliver contents to visitors. However, the problem with device detection is that new devices are coming out everyday so the device database must be updated constantly.

However, you can also consider an unconventional approach -- mobile first. Knowing mobile phone users are overtaking PC users in Internet access, develop a mobile site. This may be against the mainstream that you hear, but that's my approach anyway. For mobile site development, make sure you score high in Google Speed Test as Google is placing emphasis on the load time.

Just my 2c.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
There's certainly no technical reason you have to use the same domain for both. You could easily do some kind of browser detect on each to offer a redirect to the site designed for a particular browser/OS, even.
There is a problem with that. On an iPad, I don't want some limited restricted mobile site. Detection doesn't always work. Sure, the iPad is a mobile device, but the screen is large enough for the the full site.

So if you detect an iPad, treat it as a laptop or desktop and give the full site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a problem with that. On an iPad, I don't want some limited restricted mobile site. Detection doesn't always work. Sure, the iPad is a mobile device, but the screen is large enough for the the full site.

So if you detect an iPad, treat it as a laptop or desktop and give the full site.
The sites I've seen that don't annoy me do device detection, and offer a link to go to either the mobile site, or the regular site. Or, you could avoid the device detection step entirely, and just offer that choice to everyone all the time.

Tags
mobile domain names, mobile site naming