Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
Can I install an open source firmware (such as Onyx) on a Kobo Touch?
Short answer: no
Long answer: somewhere in the forum someone else did a similar question, when/if I will found it I'll post
cheers

Quote:
If you want to replace/add screen savers, shut down picture, dictionaries, fonts etc. you can modify the zip file without unzipping it. Just try it. But be careful, don't delete files in it, if you are not absolutelly sure what you are doying.

Paths:
Fonts: opt\onyx\arm\lib\fonts
Dictionaries: usr\share\dicts
Screensaver: usr\share\system_manager\images
shut down picture: usr\share\gui_shell\images\shutdown.png
thank you booxstor, you surprise me once again!
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
How do I get out of full-screen mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Here the new release of the firmware

for Onyx Boox i62HD

UPD. July 18th
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/Up...e-20120717.zip
The metadata pre-fetching has been put background, that will not interfere the UI. And the setting for displaying file name or book title in three views was added too.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/Up...e-20120626.zip

Made some improvements in the software and bigger icons on status bar (for more comfortable finger navigation)
I've installed the latest (20120717) firmware update to my i62HD and have only started to use the e-reader. I also have an M92 e-reader as well and like that they "sort of" function the same way. However I've discovered a problem that I don't know how to solve. I use the .pdf reader a lot and was looking at a .pdf in full screen mode on the i62HD and now don't know how to get the document out of full screen mode. If I press the back button I'm exited out of the .pdf e-book and returned to the list of e-books. If I click the same e-book again, the .pdf reader starts and the book is displayed in full screen mode.

On the M92 in full screen mode they have a "menu" button that you can press to bring up the menu where you can switch out of full-screen mode.

The i62 (nonHD) user manual mentions you can switch in and out of full-screen mode, but they don't tell you how to do it and I tried to do "pinch and zoom" and that doesn't do it either.

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to get out of full-screen mode. If feel so dumb not being able to do this....

Last edited by jbsavitz; 08-07-2012 at 11:09 PM.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #33
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I had the same problem :-) Put your finger on an empty space on the screen for a few seconds and the menu will pop up. There you can exit full screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
I've installed the latest (20120717) firmware update to my i62HD and have only started to use the e-reader. I also have an M92 e-reader as well and like that they "sort of" function the same way. However I've discovered a problem that I don't know how to solve. I use the .pdf reader a lot and was looking at a .pdf in full screen mode on the i62HD and now don't know how to get the document out of full screen mode. If I press the back button I'm exited out of the .pdf e-book and returned to the list of e-books. If I click the same e-book again, the .pdf reader starts and the book is displayed in full screen mode.

On the M92 in full screen mode they have a "menu" button that you can press to bring up the menu where you can switch out of full-screen mode.

The i62 (nonHD) user manual mentions you can switch in and out of full-screen mode, but they don't tell you how to do it and I tried to do "pinch and zoom" and that doesn't do it either.

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to get out of full-screen mode. If feel so dumb not being able to do this....

Last edited by owly; 08-08-2012 at 06:45 AM.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Owly, Thank you so much for figuring this out! I was beginning to wonder if this might do it and haven't had a chance to try it out today. :-)

I did try this out and you can place your finger anywhere on the screen.

Last edited by jbsavitz; 08-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #35
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Issue with Hide Margins on .pdf reader

Quote:

for Onyx Boox i62HD

UPD. July 18th
The metadata pre-fetching has been put background, that will not interfere the UI. And the setting for displaying file name or book title in three views was added too.

Made some improvements in the software and bigger icons on status bar (for more comfortable finger navigation)
I'm using the latest version 1.7 20120717 firmware on my i62HD.

I make extensive use of .pdf files and use the .pdf reader a lot. On my M92 I'm able to use the "Hide Margin" feature without any problems. On the i62HD what happens is when the "Hide Margin" feature is selected either the program terminates and goes back to the file explorer or the page is properly cropped, but the page layout is changed from single page to scrolling pages mode. To correct this problem I have to go back and reselect the single page mode. It's sort of flakey. I've also looked at the .pdf reader beta and am still evaluating it since I don't know if it has all the same features or if they are in the same places as the current .pdf reader.

Please note my M92 was purchased from a US Onyx Distributor and it's running a firmware update (1.7 20120626, don't confuse with your June 2012 version) that I received from the European Onyx Distributor.

Please advise on trouble shooting. Should I try your 1.7 20120726 on my M92 to see if there is the same problem? If so, could I reinstall an earlier firmware release if your M92 version has the same .pdf reader issue?
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Screen having trouble with recognizing a stylus

Quote:

for Onyx Boox i62HD

UPD. July 18th

I have the 20120717 version of the firmware running on my i62HD.

I've tried to use a stylus from the Sony PRS-950SC which has the same touch screen technology and the screen appears to barely recognize the presence of the stylus. It appears the software driver is configured to recognize only large objects such as fingers and not thinner objects such as a stylus.

In handwriting mode the stylus is recognized for a short period of time so you get a partial line and then the screen stops recognizing the stylus probably thinking it is invalid input.

Using a stylus is necessary in order to be able to place highlighting accurately and for the handwriting features of the i62HD.

Please let me know how I can go about getting this corrected.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
I have the 20120717 version of the firmware running on my i62HD.

I've tried to use a stylus from the Sony PRS-950SC which has the same touch screen technology and the screen appears to barely recognize the presence of the stylus. It appears the software driver is configured to recognize only large objects such as fingers and not thinner objects such as a stylus.

In handwriting mode the stylus is recognized for a short period of time so you get a partial line and then the screen stops recognizing the stylus probably thinking it is invalid input.

Using a stylus is necessary in order to be able to place highlighting accurately and for the handwriting features of the i62HD.

Please let me know how I can go about getting this corrected.
Hi,

the IR Multi Touch technology of i62HD was developed to scan for thicker objects (like your finger e.g.) near of the screen. Just imagine a net of invisible IR rays near of the screen surface. Here you can see the the size of the raster of the IR LEDs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1343923212
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1343923220
(black zig-zag)

Boox is just calculating coordinates of your fingers based on interrupted rays.

Just try out a pen, which is similar to a finger

Last edited by Booxtor; 08-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #38
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Hi Booxtor,

I just tried a "larger" stylus and it appears you're right. I guess "size" really does matter. The tricky part is finding a stylus that can maintain contact with the screen so the e-reader can track it properly. I tried a pen and while it worked, the recognition was intermintent compared to a finger. Please pass these comments onto the developers to see if they could tweak the driver software to be more sensitive.

Also, could you please review and comment on my earlier post about the .pdf reader and some of the issues I'm experiencing. And please let me know about the firmware issue with the M92 that I mentioned as well. I'm willing to try your version of the firmware to see if I get the same .pdf reader issue on the M92 that I do on the i62HD.

Thank you in advance for your help with these issues.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #39
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

Just a quick update. I tried "Googling" best stylus for IR screen and came across an interesting suggestion. I tried using a Q-Tip and guess what? I worked very well in terms of the e-reader recognizing it. The only problem is the cotton tip gets mashed too easily and thus the accuracy suffers. I'm going to go to the store and check out the capacitive styli since they are bigger and have a similar tip to a Q-Tip.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
jbsavitz
Connoisseur

.pdf reader problems on i62HD using hide margin feature

Quote:

for Onyx Boox i62HD

UPD. July 18th

I'm using the latest version 1.7 20120717 firmware on my i62HD.

I make extensive use of .pdf files and use the .pdf reader a lot. On the i62HD what happens is when the "Hide Margin" feature is selected either the program terminates and goes back to the file explorer or the page is properly cropped, but the page layout is changed from single page to scrolling pages mode. To correct this problem I have to go back and reselect the single page mode. It's sort of flakey. I've also looked at the .pdf reader beta and am still evaluating it since I don't know if it has all the same features or if they are in the same places as the current .pdf reader.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #41
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Can someone please make this a sticky thread ?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #42
Gagarin Gambit
Gagarin Gambit began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Can someone please make this a sticky thread ?
I quite agree, this thread is an invaluable source of information for Onyx i62HD. A few other threads of this subforum are also very important.
Gagarin Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #43
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
any news about update 1.8? i know "out when its ready" but...its hard to wait sometimes
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #44
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inemi View Post
any news about update 1.8? i know "out when its ready" but...its hard to wait sometimes
Hi,
I will upload the 1.8 for i62HD tomorrow. I was just testing it and we did some polishing in last days.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #45
FrankSmith
FrankSmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
@Booxtor:
We are very interested in the new v1.8 firmware.
Any hints when it is "tomorrow" and we can catch the new firmware.
FrankSmith is offline   Reply With Quote