Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #61
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have tried all the other apps mentioned in this post and the one I like most is Penultimate.
It is limited. No handwriting recognition and no fancy zooming (I like Notability's zoom features). But for basic note-taking, it is still my favorite. It just seems the smoothest writing experience - and, at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Of course, a good stylus matters. My recent favorite is the New Trent:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Dual...xp_grid_pt_1_1
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #62
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have tried all the other apps mentioned in this post and the one I like most is Penultimate.
It is limited. No handwriting recognition and no fancy zooming (I like Notability's zoom features). But for basic note-taking, it is still my favorite. It just seems the smoothest writing experience - and, at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Of course, a good stylus matters. My recent favorite is the New Trent:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Dual...xp_grid_pt_1_1
Thanks for your input. About Penultimate, for some reason I haven't bought it yet, even though I have bought almost all the others. I guess I'm not very impressed by the screen shots I saw on the app store, and for me looks matter (hey, I'm an aPple user ). But I suppose I should give it a try.

I had a look at that stylus, the tip has a different material that seems to glide better on the screen, that sounds very interesting. Have you used a Wacom Bamboo, how do they compare? On the other hand the Trent stylus looks really short, that might be a problem.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #63
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The Bamboo and the Trent are VERY comparable at inception. The Trent is maybe a tiny bit smoother, but the difference is not very noticeable.

But the Bamboo deteriorates. I noticed after a couple of weeks it would not be as smooth as before. It deteriorates over time, so you don't even notice at first, but if you pick a new one and compare - all of a sudden it hits you, how much less smooth they get, over time.

On the other side, the Trent has two problems. One, it is short. Some people are bothered by that - I am not, personally. But if stylus length bothers you, then this might not be a good solution.
The other problem is the idea of sticking a sharp pointy object on the other side of it. The point of the pen can stick out just a tiny bit if you are not careful at rotating it all the way inside - and if you pick up the stylus the wrong way, there goes your iPad screen. The solution is simple - just take the pen out. I was fine with that, but, if you are planning to use it as a pen as well, then you might keep this in mind.

Yet, I am willing to live with all of this because it is the smoothest writing experience I have had on an iPad - and, after a couple of months of use, I see no deterioration. Every rubber-point stylus I had became less smooth over time.

Penultimate... it isn't pretty. It has no fancy functionality. If you plan on doing anything but simple handwriting, I would not recommend it. But for writing, the feel is just the closest to paper I have experienced. The smoothing is kind of on the 'high-side', so if too much smoothing bothers you, it might be an issue. It feels just right to me.
It does, by the way, integrate with dropbox and evernote, if you care about having your notes easily available off your ipad.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #64
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the details. Yes, the Bamboo's tip deteriorates very fast. For my first one I didn't notice it at first, but after about 6 months it became almost unusable. So I ordered new tips, and the difference was amazing, that's when I started suspecting that it had started to deteriorate several months before. And now, after only a few weeks of use, I have a feeling that already it's not gliding as smoothly as it used to.

I just bought a new iPad last week, and since I now have 64 Gb instead of 16, I reinstalled a lot of apps I had trashed before, to try them again. For handwriting two things are important for me: the writing experience itself, and an uncluttered and efficient interface that lets me just write.

So far I have found two apps that fulfill these requirements: the Bamboo app, and Noteshelf. The Bamboo app might be the best of the two for the pure writing experience, because there is no need for a wrist guard, somehow the app can tell between your wrist and the stylus, so the writing is really natural. Noteshelf is the next best thing, because the wrist guard moves down automatically as you write. Noteshelf has a bit more functionalities and I like how the app looks, so that's the one I selected some time ago.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #65
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is pretty interesting!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #66
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

NoteLedge is at half price today (0.89€, which would be $0.99). Of course I couldn't resist buying it even though I knew perfectly well I won't use it. It seems nice enough, I like the interface on the whole, but the palm rest sucks. Also, it crashed once already after playing with it for a few minutes. You can insert a photo but apparently you can't control it's size. There is something called the Navigator which they make much of, but I am a bit underwhelmed at first sight.

It would seem to be in the same ball park as Notability: an app that can be useful if you want to mix sketches, typed notes and photos (if you don't mind the small size of the photos). At first glance it would seem to be less mature than Notability, but after all I have only played with it for a few minutes.

For handwriting only though, it certainly can't replace Noteshelf or Bamboo.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #67
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for sharing! really helpful!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #68
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I played a bit more with NoteLedge over the week-end. I like how the app looks although it's a bit cluttered. I think it has potential, but there are way too many problems with it yet. I still think Notability does the same thing but with more functionalities. However, the cuteness factor is certainly a plus and if you want to make good-looking scrapbooks, NoteLedge could work for you. Just stay away from the fountain pen tool, it crashes the app every time on my new iPad.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #69
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I had sent a bug report to the developers of NoteLedge about the fountain pen bug that crashes the app, and they answered that the version that corrects this bug is waiting for Apple's approval to go on iTunes. In case anybody is interested.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #70
greenyouth
Zealot

How much is the price for this? Should i go to apple store or i can just download this through the net?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #71
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Sorry, I'm a bit lazy and I don't include links to the app store in my posts, but you can just search for the app name on the store.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #72
greenyouth
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit lazy and I don't include links to the app store in my posts, but you can just search for the app name on the store.

Okay okay.... Thanks for the info anyways!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #73
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
So, for taking simple notes, like on a PDF using GoodReader app, which stylus do you recommend me guys? I'm between New Trent Limir Stylus and Adonis Jot Pro.

Like I said, no fancy stuff or professional drawing, just taking short notes for studying or work meetings.

Thanks,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I know this isn't what you asked, but I've found no stylus that really satisfies. My Bamboo probably comes closest, but I find my right index finger to be the best stylus I've used to date.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-26-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: ,
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #75
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I tried the Adonit Jot Flip and it didn't work for me. Things might have been different if I hadn't been using the Bamboo for months, then I might have adapted better to the Jot. I don't like the sound it makes when hitting the screen (especially with stories in read on the web of scratched screens). I don't like that if the little disk at the end is not exactly aligned with the screen's surface, it just doesn't write. The only advantage it has over other pens is that it is more precise, but for writing it's not that great since it often misses the t's bars and other small bits, which I then have to go back and add. I tried using it for a few days and then gave up.